Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    They're pre-made. They were custom-built and shipped from Florida to California. I expected good quality and got better than I expected.

One box had a little damage--forklift penetration it looked like--that damaged one panel. So the company shipped me a new one no questions asked. Great service.

May I kindly suggest you no longer use the forklift it seems like bad idea! Good old fashion lifting a bit of sweating won’t hurt to shed a few pounds off in the summer weather. I think the forklift has got it in for you.

I’m not going to ask how much they cost as its rather rude to do so, I can only guess how much.

So what frequencies will they deal with in the room once carefully placed?

JBL 4645
    I just got a call from Chris Neumann, former head of JBL Synthesis®. He's driving down from Northridge this morning to look over the room and give me advice on speaker placement and acoustical panel installation.

After I follow his instructions and the work is complete, he'll come back for the calibration.
    He’ll get it all sorted for you. So you have video projector so there should be no excuses for matching LCR placed behind it at the same height level along with the subs placed below the centre.

Inexpensive is a relative term

4645, the panels were relatively inexpensive for what I got. They cost under $2000, which is not cheap, but inexpensive compared to all the other brands I looked at.

Here are the specifics on the 24x28x4 inch panels (bass traps) and the 24x48x2 panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

JBL 4645
    4645, the panels were relatively inexpensive for what I got. They cost under $2000, which is not cheap, but inexpensive compared to all the other brands I looked at.

Here are the specifics on the 24x28x4 inch panels (bass traps) and the 24x48x2 panels.

DIY bass traps could have shaved the cost by many hundreds of £$.

Well just as long as it deals with frequency issues. My dad will never understand that.

I can understand the costs of foam and the special tools to cut and shape the foam but a bass trap there’s hardly anything to it.

ti dome

did you buy any diffusers

you should have a mixture of these for a god envelopment and musicality

refection from the correct angles are very important and the use of diffusers can enhance the sound a lot

killing all the lateral reflection points is not a good practice and it and old practice from recording studios your room is not to be a recording studio

Chris Neumann from Harman should know this since it it all over DR Floyed book and studies

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    ti dome

did you buy any diffusers

you should have a mixture of these for a god envelopment and musicality

refection from the correct angles are very important and the use of diffusers can enhance the sound a lot

killing all the lateral reflection points is not a good practice and it and old practice from recording studios your room is not to be a recording studio

Chris Neumann from Harman should know this since it it all over DR Floyed book and studies
    Good pont!

The mirror technique buy having a friend or wife move a small mirror along the sidewalls. I think it’s when you see yourself or a certain refection that, is where you should place the diffuser/diffusers. I’d have to re-read the THX manual.

not realy

envelopment is direction time and frequency dependant

it is not a simple rule of Thom of first reflection points

60 degrees from the listener point is the most effective for envelopment but 70 80 90 and 110 are pretty good

but the you have the frequency and time variables which are important

Chris and I talked about diffusers this morning. We'll have three along the back wall.

Remember, there will be four in-wall S4Ai units in the surround and rear positions. Chris was pleased as he was instrumental in their design and development. They take a whole different approach than if we had more traditional surround speakers.

I couldn't have a better guide, so no worries, guys.
    Out.

Very cool Doug, I'm quite excited for you !

Like so many others of yours , this is a great thread for us lurkers .

Who made those panels for you ? / or have you already mentioned it ?

>< cheers

Mike Ronesia
    It's good to see pictures of the room coming together. Keep them coming when you have time.

80sKid
    Hi, Dome. I'm enjoying the thread and I look forward to seeing the install come together.

I don't think you mentioned where you sourced the acoustic panels from. I'm very curious to know the answer.

Thx.

I failed to mention that Chris was referred by Ron Rouse, the current head of JBL Synthesis®.

Chris is a very cool guy, though he just gave me a lot of work to do. At least I know what I need to accomplish, and when the system is done, it will be as good as it can be.

I showed him around the house to see the JBLs, and he was excited to see all the different systems. A good time was had by all.
    I talked to Ron Rouse about 3~4 years ago discussing the PS and other JBL systems, and about the availability of the PS, and who was a local Synthesis dealer around here. There has been a number of them go by the way side in recent years.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Good pont!

The mirror technique buy having a friend or wife move a small mirror along the sidewalls. I think it’s when you see yourself or a certain refection that, is where you should place the diffuser/diffusers. I’d have to re-read the THX manual.
    Diffusers go on the back walls, where needed, absorbtion panels go at the first relective point, if needed.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

ti - awesome to see everything coming together... sent you another PM when you have a chance. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Hi, Dome. I'm enjoying the thread and I look forward to seeing the install come together.

I don't think you mentioned where you sourced the acoustic panels from. I'm very curious to know the answer.

Thx.
    Here you go.

http://www.acoustimac.com/

They were just great to deal with, and Sal, the guy I worked with was quick to replace the damaged panel. The value proposition was amazing, and this is the ONLY place where I actually saved significant $$$ from what I budgeted for the room modifications.

Everything else is costing more (and more).
    Out.

Thread Information