Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Here's a no flash shot of the back wall to give a better sense of how dim the light is in the room and how deep and dark the brown actually is as seen on the diffusers.

Then there's a shot of our Ikea Poang chairs, something Heather and I have in common.

I recently held a reception for some new neighbors in our community and we got twelve people in there. Six were in chairs, two of which are behind the four main chairs. Four were on the floor, using the pillows and back cushions, and Huikyong and I were dutifully standing in the back.

Since installing the Oppo BDP-83SE and the JBL AV2, the sound has improved perceptibly, and even with 12 adults in the room, everyone commented on how wonderful it sounded. I had to agree; with that many people it was really quite impressive.

Now of course, everyone wants to come over all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

Next?

Hope you enjoyed the little tour. This spring or summer, I'd like to have an open house for a few of the forum regulars to come over and get a look and listen.

As I think Widget is experiencing, there's a lot of impressive JBL equipment that even the JBL fans don't get to see or hear. It's a shame.

When someone is as fortunate (and persistent! ) as I am to have gotten some of it, I think it's important to share the experience.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    Great series of pictures Doug. It's nice to see how it all turned out. You did a first class job and should feel good about enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I wish I was close enough to even hope to be invited over to experience it and to meet you and Huikyong. Maybe we'll meet on my side of the planet some time, who knows.

Don't get washed down the hill.

Thanks, Mark. Some of my former JBLs made it to your place, so I have hopes to be there in person one day.

Of course, if you guys are ever visiting SoCal you have to let us know. There will be a special show just for you.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Thanks, Mark. Some of my former JBLs made it to your place, so I have hopes to be there in person one day.

Of course, if you guys are ever visiting SoCal you have to let us know. There will be a special show just for you.
    Very nice presentation, Doug - thanks for sharing all of that!
    Wish you were a wee bit closer ... I'll bet a movie is big fun with all of that!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

80sKid
    I always love pictures and it was nice to see this update.

Those sound spheres on the walls are something that I couldn't personally live with.

I fully understand their acoustic value, but they are really ugly to look at, IMO.

Anways, I wish I were local so I could have a listen someday. But until then, I will dream...

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post

Those sound spheres on the walls are something that I couldn't personally live with.

I fully understand their acoustic value, but they are really ugly to look at, IMO.
    Understood, but when the lights are off it doesn't matter. Actually, they look kind of cool in person, but as you point out, their form follows function, which is to do an extraordinary job of diffusing sound.

If you ever do visit, I'm going to make you wear a blindfold.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Understood, but when the lights are off it doesn't matter. Actually, they look kind of cool in person, but as you point out, their form follows function, which is to do an extraordinary job of diffusing sound.

If you ever do visit, I'm going to make you wear a blindfold.
    Whoa sounds kinky. Blind listening test but to the challenge!

More or less the same expect the creativity of the camera angle and lighting.

So how much lamp time do you have on the LCD before changing it?

Do you keep it on economy setting for longer lamp service?

Do you review each picture to see if it came or captured the image as best it can?

My camera is just simple press and take picture and if it works for today I’m sure it would have worked great on Apollo.

My lamp is getting near to the end of its service life. Sigh. Damn things are the most costly part of home cinema.

The Mitsubishi has nearly 1000 hours on it. I use low lamp mode since the room is completely light controlled. Even then it seems bright.

In low mode it should last 5000 hours, though with prices for new PJs still coming down and bulb prices holding steady, I'll probably just get a new PJ.

If I can get a generic bulb for it at a discount, then I'll sell the Epson in the fitness/music room and put the Mits down there.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    The Mitsubishi has nearly 1000 hours on it. I use low lamp mode since the room is completely light controlled. Even then it seems bright.

In low mode it should last 5000 hours, though with prices for new PJs still coming down and bulb prices holding steady, I'll probably just get a new PJ.

If I can get a generic bulb for it at a discount, then I'll sell the Epson in the fitness/music room and put the Mits down there.
    Yes, yes, yes I seen some low prices for my lamp and they are hard to find those who supply at reasonable prices. I forgot to make a note one such site that was doing it for around £167.00 sigh I’d have to do new search again, otherwise it’s around £250.00 LOL

I use the whisper mode not sure what the lamp life is at, it doesn’t state this in the pdf users manual.

Last I checked the count was at 1788 getting near.

5000 hours is not bad over xenon lamps that have a far less service life, the cost you don’t want to know, but then they burn brighter for the size of auditorium and we don’t need over-bright ones for average living rooms.

I wonder if they make lamp that has longer service life that would fit mine? 2000hours seems okay, then I only use it maybe once a month now. At first maybe 4 times a week and that’s short.

Very nice Doug.

Ian

Hm....You should get some chairs with drinks holders

Your system has turned out beautiful!. I hope to be able to own a Synthesis system some time in the future.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

So Dome, now you have lived with it for a while, what are your impressions?

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    So Dome, now you have lived with it for a while, what are your impressions?

Allan.
    Impressions are very favorable, yet I know I'm not *quite* done yet.

At the recent Harman International Northridge tour, we had the chance to listen to the Eargle Theater (Everest Synthesis® set up), and those of the group who've heard my set up were quite complimentary in comparison. It helps that I have a smaller room and a single row of seats. Since no one in the room that day is likely to afford a full Everest Synthesis® system, those who have not been over are now seeking to get an invite to make the comparison, as futile as that might be given the time lapsed between listening. One member commented at the tour that he'd never heard better balance in a system than at my place, and I'd have to agree that the Eargle was a little less impressive in that one regard.

The Eargle uses the S4Ai surrounds as does mine, and they really are superb surround speakers. I think my diffuser choice and diffuser placement (with Chris Neumann's advice) are better executed, and it results in a more satisfying surround sound field. So I'm happy with that. My two S1S-EX subs are just as convincing in my space as the four S1S-Ex subs are in the Eargle. Of course, my fronts are a long way from being Everests, but not so far away that a comparison can't be made. They definitely fit in my room and budget better. I think I'd prefer Everests as a stereo pair rather than in HT duty.

Before I do invite any of these guys over, I need to get a better handle on the AV2 and its functions, as I'm still making poor choices on occasion and sometimes not getting the best sound out of the system. It's the old problem of too many choices, actually, and I need to do some RC programming to make it more idiot-proof.

My visiting daughter convinced me to just go ahead and paint the rear wall to match the others. That certainly will give it a more uniform look. My grandson, after commenting he wished his Chicago buddies could see and hear the room as it's the coolest room he's ever been in, has been entreating me nonstop to watch movies every day. He really loves it. That's one of the key tests for me: does the family look forward to being here in part because it's a treat to have the Two Jims Theatre experience? The answer is a big "Yes."
    Out.

Obsolete
    At the recent Harman International Northridge tour, we had the chance to listen to the Eargle Theater (Everest Synthesis® set up), and those of the group who've heard my set up were quite complimentary in comparison.
    I'm not at all surprised.

Thread Information