Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

there are some reasons to put them in the floor acoustically speaking

there is a solid angle gain is one of them
    you will not have acoustical cancellation floor bounce in frequencies run by the sub is another

but as you say you can try it

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    there are some reasons to put them in the floor acoustically speaking

there is a solid angle gain is one of them
    you will not have acoustical cancellation floor bounce in frequencies run by the sub is another

but as you say you can try it
    Well like I said I don’t have the space at the front. I have CRT widescreen standing in the middle that limits to where I can place the sub. Its ether left or right side.

Also don’t just lift the subs up and then say I couldn’t tell the difference?

Get REW from Home Theatre Shack its free and quite effective in showing what has transpired from a possible worse to a possible positive improved frequency response.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/downloads-area/

Long Overdue Pics

Okay, I've been procrastinating, but it's raining, mad mad rain for SoCal, so I took some pictures as promised from time to time. I'll post them with a bit of narrative.

Let's keep the comments on my photography to your selves.

We've got two rooms in our media annex. The first we call the fitness and music room, the second is the Two Jims Theatre. Someday, I'll get a sign for the theatre, plus make a poster with a tiny bio on the two Jims in question.

Here's a shot from just inside the door to the fitness/music room, looking ahead and to the right. Hermione is on the wall directly across from the door, while Legolas and Harry are on the rear wall of the room. The ceiling is about 12' high, so much of the wall below the 3' mark is beneath the area viewed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Looking down, you can see the CD racks, the Wii, the JBL SVA 1800s, and some fitness equipment. Huikyong and I installed the wooden floor together. It was a fun experience.
    Out.

Looking ahead and to the left, the front corner of the room shows some more Harry Potter wall stuff, an SVA2100, XPL200, PT800, and L100, plus some of the acoustical panels ans the screen on the front wall. Below are some yoga stuff, the Wii Fit balance board, and the corner of a big mirror on the side wall. That's why there no photo of the side wall; it's all glare and reflections.
    Out.

Looking straight at the front wall, above is the screen (lights off for this shot) and below is the equipment. There's an SVA center, a couple of Hafler SRR2300 amps, Fosgate Audionics FAP T1 and FAA 1000.5, a Niles IPC sequencer, Panasonic DVD XP50, iPod dock, ProCo RMS-2, JBL L8400P, and two Fosgate THX subs with JBL LE14H-1 drivers. There are acoustic panels in many locations, visible and invisible.

Yes, we play Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Yes, that's Mii.
    Out.

Turning from the front wall to the other side, there's the entry door, with the only window in either of the two rooms. You barely can see the edges of some of the left side companion JBLs for the other side.

Nearby are John and Yoko.
    Out.

Continuing counter-clockwise, to the left of the door is the stairs to the Two Jims Theatre.

I do like The Beatles, huh?
    Out.

Just to the left of the stairs is the back side of the equipment closet, whose access door is hidden behind drapes and movie posters. Sorry about the glare!

In the second shot, the door is partway open. The Epson projector swings out of the way on a pivot if needed.

Underneath are a few Wii games, our instruments and music, the music stand, yoga mats, and other odd bits.
    Out.

With the door open, the equipment is visible and accessible. This is definitely one of the smartest things I did in building this. It really makes it easy to work on everything without having to pull things out or move them around.

Below is a look at the back of the AV2, which replaced the SDP-5. I bought some excellent 1.5m interconnects from Monoprice and used them from the Oppo BDP-83SE analog outs to the AV2's 7.1 analog inputs.
    Out.

Here are a few last shots inside since I had it open.

1. A snake's nest of cables behind the SDEC4000.
    2. A blurry shot of the two dedicated 20A outlets. The quad feeds the amps.
    3. The backside of the Furman 20A Power unit that connects the sensitive equipment to the duplex 20A circuit.
    Out.

Heading back to the stairs, we ascend. On the left, I have a couple of signs I got on clearance at Target.
    Out.

On the right, there are two frames that I filled with manufacturer's logos of the various things that went into the Two Jims Theatre.
    Out.

Stepping through the curtains, we face the far wall, which is the right side of the HT. I painted the entire wall dark--it used to be ceiling color--and color matched the diffusers. The back wall and the back half of the ceiling remain a lighter color to avoid complete cave syndrome, though I pianted those diffusers brawn and put in brown absorbers as well.I replaced the black absorbers with brown, and installed the grilles on the S4Ai surrounds.

The camera had a heck of a time trying to focus.

Turning to the left reveals the screen and proscenium on the front wall.
    Out.

The left wall is also brown now, and of course the reconfigured rack with the AV2 is on the left side.
    Out.

Thread Information