Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

...ability to temporarily/believably transport you?
    Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ...ability to temporarily/believably transport you?
    Priceless.
    Exactly.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    400 hours, you were a busy man. Thanks for taking time out of your project to go to the goat farm for me.

80sKid
    TD,

Thanks very much for taking us all through the process with you. I've enjoyed all the postings and especially the web site where you documented everything (including your beautiful JBL collection). JBL Synthesis systems are rare and to feel a part of the installation of one is really great. Thank you.

-Chris

Over the past few weeks I've installed the door on the back of the equipment closet and hung drapes over the whole thing. They're pulled back by ropes to form a reveal, and my plan is to get a large movie promo piece from a local cinema that I can put in back of the drapes and in front of the door. Maybe it will look cool.

I've also got some cute but dopey wall hangings to put along the steps up to the HT.

In addition, I bought a string of LED lights to place under the stair rail to illuminate the steps.

As I get this together, I'll get some pictures.

Finally, the fitness and music room is moving right along. The SVA 5.1 system is up and running, as are the XPL200s and L100s. The SVAs are supported by the two Fosgate Audionics THX subs with LE14H-1 drivers, and the electronics are Fosgate, too.

A couple of the Hafler amps are in service as well, so things really hop down there!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    ... to get a large movie promo piece from a local cinema ...
    Maybe a wall painting - some of these:
    http://www.filmposter-archiv.de/

What an $18,000 Home Theater Looks Like

on SLASHDOT
    But seemingly they forgot the speakers not to mention surround sound and room building.

Interesting is the server based music storage. The additional mentioned Nokia N810 mobile Internet tablet can be used as a remote control to your computer via VNC (virtual network computing):
    https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vncviewer/

SLASHdot has very little original content -
    just a bunch of argumentative trolls posting on the internet ...

The original post was from a ComputerWorld Blog ...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/one_p...theatre_system

and yeah, its really PR for the multimedia networking gear -
    the monitors and speakers and secondary to them ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    on SLASHDOT
    But seemingly they forgot the speakers not to mention surround sound and room building.

Interesting is the server based music storage. The additional mentioned Nokia N810 mobile Internet tablet can be used as a remote control to your computer via VNC (virtual network computing):
    https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vncviewer/

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    SLASHdot has very little original content -
    just a bunch of argumentative trolls posting on the internet ...

The original post was from a ComputerWorld Blog ...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/one_p...theatre_system
    Some funny comments at the site.

I think my money was better spent, though I spent a bit more.
    Out.

One of the things Chris was promoting was the idea of more and better sources. I agreed with him, though I was interested in different solutions than he suggested.

His argument remains valid however: Part of the design is planning the right supporting equipment.

My existing Harmony 1000 remote works fine to control everything, the Samsung SIR451 HD OTA receiver is excellent for hi-def TV, and the Mitsubishi 1080P projector is just great. As far as Laserdiscs go, well, the Mitsubishi M-V7057 player is as good as it gets, and there's no upgrade path in the US anymore.

However, the Oppo 981 wasn't quite up to snuff in the new set up.

So I caved in and bought the Oppo BDP-83 player, and it really raises the bar as far as the in room experience. Of course, the HD picture quality is excellent as expected, but I am shocked at how good the upconverted DVDs look. This is great, as I can rest easy that I won't be replacing most of my current discs.

There are a select few I'll want to upgrade, but only those that I watch three or four times a year.

This thing plays every type of disc imaginable, and plays them very well.

The multichannel musical performance is top notch, too.

So, add getting a great disc player to the list of design considerations.

The next step is the addition of an Apple TV or other digital media server so that I can simply rent HD content one time for those movies I only need to see once rather than leave the house to purchase or rent, then regret the effort.
    Out.

ah. the missing link shud be 'killer' dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    However, the Oppo 981 wasn't quite up to snuff in the new set up.

So I caved in and bought the Oppo BDP-83 player, and it really raises the bar as far as the in room experience. Of course, the HD picture quality is excellent as expected, but I am shocked at how good the upconverted DVDs look. This is great, as I can rest easy that I won't be replacing most of my current discs.

The next step is the addition of an Apple TV or other digital media server so that I can simply rent HD content one time for those movies I only need to see once rather than leave the house to purchase or rent, then regret the effort.
    I've got the TIVOHD - and bumped internal storage up to a terabyte - something like 2200+ hours HD recording and for SD stuff (John Steward, Deadliest Catch, etc) its basically endless space.

Plus, we have Netflix, so we can get reg or Blueray disks dropshipped - and the TIVOHD allows netflicks "instant View" so I can view a lot of 2-4 year old stuff on impulse ...

I have an AppleTV 160gig - think if I was to do it again I'd get a MacMini instead - with a wireless keyboard and mouse I'd have a LOT more flexibility, and if I added an external disc to that - whew - NICE capability! ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Jackpot! (If you're a HP fan...)

I've been dumpster diving behind the local cinema to no avail. Then this past Sunday Huikyong and I were passing by on our way to Marshall's, so I pulled up short in front of the dumpsters, and there was a big display in there.

I grabbed it and shoved it into the back of the Sorento for later examination. It had some greasy popcorn stains on one corner, but otherwise seemed intact.

When I finally got it home and took it out, it was a complete four-sided Harry Potter display, three+ feet wide and maybe eight feet tall.

I'm trying to figure how to mount it. It's too large to actually set up without dominating a room, so I'll look into wall mounting the individual panels. It will have to go in the fitness/music room, as it's too large for the HT without becoming completely distracting.

Once I get it situated, pictures will follow.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    Nothing wrong with a little dumpster diving. Though I do recommend industrial over restaurant dumpsters.

JBL 4645
    I thought I’d show you this idea that may not have accrued to ether of you. Who says they have to be on the floor. Look at most cinemas and they are at least several feet up at the front from where the front row is to where the floor slopes upwards walking to the back of the cinema.

You never know unless you try and you have more space to try this than I do and believe me, I struggled with mine and its heavy bugger to lift off the floor by nearly 1 foot.

It’s back on the floor as of now.

You might score big time if you placed both in-between like I’ve shown. You’ll just have to find a way of doing it.

You might get more smoothing punch in some parts of the frequency then again it might just turn out to be the same as before.

Don’t forget lows are non-directional below a certain point at crossover.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information