Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

The projector is mounted as are some of the polycylindrical diffusers, which will need a coat of paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

The polycylindrical diffusers flank each surround, but they're really targeted for other speakers. They serve to diffuse the sound from the mains, and they also are located to intercept the sound from the surround speakers on adjacent walls. Because of the unique locations of the S4Ai's four top drivers, this arrangement works well.

The bottom two drivers on the S4Ai are intended to be direct radiators, which is why they face straight out. The tweeter is on the bottom so that's closest to ear height. That way, no angling is needed; the tweeter's already there.

Chris and the guys did a heck of a job designing these things.
    Out.

The JBL DACS calibration is next weekend! For details on a chance to see it, check here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=19
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Now there’s a little snag! The JBL sub isn’t flush its hanging out from the base platform.

I guess you can’t be asked to fix that now that you’ve almost finished.

Try using the flash on the camera and try to hold it steady while taking a side shot, the flash will light-up and detail that is not flat, maybe.

I like the layout of the LCR just how its suppose to be matching fronts!

Is the video projector audible with fan noise? And don’t you have room behind the wall is there anything behind it a spear room where you can knock a hole in the wall and isolate the fan 100% not even hint of whisper at 20db LOL.

Also what make and model is it looks like an LCD or is it a DLP type?

I thought the diffusers would be smaller wow there huge!

You might want to bring the LCR forwards due to mild refection off the base platform!

What is that 13/14 feet width at the front?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Now there’s a little snag! The JBL sub isn’t flush its hanging out from the base platform.

I guess you can’t be asked to fix that now that you’ve almost finished.
    Er, that's why it's called partially enclosed. As for doing any more mods there, eff that. The rear sub is totally freestanding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645
    Try using the flash on the camera and try to hold it steady while taking a side shot, the flash will light-up and detail that is not flat, maybe.
    The flash is on. I used a tripod. The camera just can't focus in that dark backdrop.

I like the layout of the LCR just how its suppose to be matching fronts!
    Yes, that was the intent. Matching fronts in complementary positions.

Is the video projector audible with fan noise? And don’t you have room behind the wall is there anything behind it a spear room where you can knock a hole in the wall and isolate the fan 100% not even hint of whisper at 20db LOL.

Also what make and model is it looks like an LCD or is it a DLP type?
    Behind that wall is outdoors. No place for a PJ. The Mitsubishi is one of the quietest LCD 1080p projectors made. It's really not an issue. Now my old Seleco CRT PJ, that was a wind tunnel with three fans on all the time.

I thought the diffusers would be smaller wow there huge!
    Yes, they complement the S4Ai size quite nicely.

You might want to bring the LCR forwards due to mild refection off the base platform!
    Not possible as the Stewart Filmscreen Microperf will go in front of them. We may actually move the L and R outside the screen's rigid frame, in which case they will move forward a bit. In any case, there's not much reflection off that dense mat. Whatever Chris recommends I'll try.

What is that 13/14 feet width at the front?
    15'5" (I measured the bloody thing enough times. "Measure twice, cut once," eh?)
    Out.

Thank you for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The camera just can't focus in that dark backdrop.
    Marilyn took a dot.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Thank you for sharing.

Marilyn took a dot.

That defeats the object of creating cinematic illusion in the home since the very early days of the 1980’s when the word was (STAR WARS and Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

But its your home I just hate to see speakers at the front staring at me lights on or off I’ll see them.

You might need to check with bed-sheet on the image size before the micro screen up goes!

I get the since the distance or throw of the projection beam maybe big then maybe small??

The fronts L/R look wide not sure what the spacing is between I’d take a wild guess 44 inches no?

Mine are narrow at 30 inches between left and centre, centre and right, with a few more JBL control 5 placed in-between for when I get another few decoders to matrix a pseudo Todd-AO SDDS8 likeness.

So what is the length of the room that you’ve got to work with?

Ceiling forget it I can see its many times taller than mine which is at 7 feet 8 inches LOL

Yes, yes, the RGB colours need there own fan to keep it cool. I haven’t seen an up and running RGB video projector in over 20 years. It was at this guys home he’s into foreign students or runs a school in Bournemouth. Anyhow it was one that had the small screen that folded down into the housing of the CRT projector the size was only around maybe 55 inches diagonal.

The 1080 should very well fit the bill! I’m sure your itching to see and hear the action just like cinema.
    This is an important message that is part of (Audio September 1989)

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

I wonder if he wants to borrow my camera its like trading artefacts some cameras are good at this and that others are just pants.

This is an important message that is part of (Audio September 1989)
    If thats the quality of your camera, I'm sure he won't want to borrow it!

FOCUS, man, FOCUS!
    or lift the camera a few inches more so it CAN focus!

yes, I can barely read the words - but really, why bother??
    Do it right the first time!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    If thats the quality of your camera, I'm sure he won't want to borrow it!

FOCUS, man, FOCUS!
    or lift the camera a few inches more so it CAN focus!

LMAO I was aware of the depth of focus! You should see the one with the flash it was.

I’m thinking about doing a youtube video on this thread? No just kidding I think the Dome should.

I might video the Audio issue article at least the webcam as focus!

The room is cleaned up and the drapes are on the walls. I'm still waiting for the final four mounting brackets to finish up the S4Ais and the diffusers, though.

Here's an overexposed shot from behind the seating showing the panel distribution on the wall, plus you can see the velour drapes to the left and right of the proscenium.
    Out.

Here's the same shot with the lights on and using the flash. The wall and drapes fade to black.
    Out.

Here's the same shot with the lights on and using the flash. The wall and drapes fade to black.
    Looks fantastic! How's it sounding with the acoustic dampening up? I bet it's quite the treat even prior to calibration and coming off something as nice as the PSs.

Quote Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post
    Looks fantastic! How's it sounding with the acoustic dampening up? I bet it's quite the treat even prior to calibration and coming off something as nice as the PSs.
    It is so much better than I anticipated--how was I to know? Even in the dealer's showroom it didn't sound this good.

The SAMs are truly spectacular, and the S4Ais are a work of genius. I'm not sure which I like more, but since they have different purposes, I like each better in its intended use.

The S4Ai is the best surround speaker I've ever heard. The fact that it's not identical to the fronts should bug me to no end. It flies in the face of conventional wisdom that states "all speakers should be the same."

My Performance Series MCH music system has five PT800s (no PC600) and it seemed unbeatable. But the Synthesis® One Array system (that's what Chris keeps calling it, so who am I to disagree?) with its two distinct speaker types just kicks MCH ass.

Of course, it's not yet calibrated, so the worrier in me hopes it actually doesn't sound worse when it's done. Naturally, Chris really knows what he's doing, so I anticipate even more amazement when it's over.

For example, I know the two subs at the midpoints of the front and back walls are canceling each other and fighting a bit; he'll fix that. Even so, they're teeth chatteringly powerful.

I also must admit that the room itself has improved 100% with the changes made. Perhaps it's unfair to compare the Performance Series in that room as it was to the Synthesis® system in that room as it is. The panels and diffusers really transformed the environment. OTOH, if I had done the room as it is now, I might never have replaced the Performance Series.

Really, though, with the praise afforded the SAM units on this site and my own audition, it was impossible not to move forward. It is a lot of sacrifice and dedication. It cost way more than I anticipated, even though it's a poor man's Synthesis® HT, largely DIY sweat, frustration, and anxiety. Yet, it is the culmination of a desire to reach as high as I can toward the best JBL has to offer and has ever made.

I can build walls, lay carpet, paint, hang drywall, hang drapes, install panels, run conduit, pull wires, and install lighting as well as anybody, but I can't build a speaker or an amplifier to save my soul, and even if I could, I couldn't build these.

So far, it's proving to be much, much more than I'd dreamed.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    It is so much better than I anticipated--how was I to know? Even in the dealer's showroom it didn't sound this good.

The SAMs are truly spectacular, and the S4Ais are a work of genius. I'm not sure which I like more, but since they have different purposes, I like each better in its intended use.

The S4Ai is the best surround speaker I've ever heard. The fact that it's not identical to the fronts should bug me to no end. It flies in the face of conventional wisdom that states "all speakers should be the same."

My Performance Series MCH music system has five PT800s (no PC600) and it seemed unbeatable. But the Synthesis® One Array system (that's what Chris keeps calling it, so who am I to disagree?) with its two distinct speaker types just kicks MCH ass.

Of course, it's not yet calibrated, so the worrier in me hopes it actually doesn't sound worse when it's done. Naturally, Chris really knows what he's doing, so I anticipate even more amazement when it's over.

For example, I know the two subs at the midpoints of the front and back walls are canceling each other and fighting a bit; he'll fix that. Even so, they're teeth chatteringly powerful.

I also must admit that the room itself has improved 100% with the changes made. Perhaps it's unfair to compare the Performance Series in that room as it was to the Synthesis® system in that room as it is. The panels and diffusers really transformed the environment. OTOH, if I had done the room as it is now, I might never have replaced the Performance Series.

Really, though, with the praise afforded the SAM units on this site and my own audition, it was impossible not to move forward. It is a lot of sacrifice and dedication. It cost way more than I anticipated, even though it's a poor man's Synthesis® HT, largely DIY sweat, frustration, and anxiety. Yet, it is the culmination of a desire to reach as high as I can toward the best JBL has to offer and has ever made.

I can build walls, lay carpet, paint, hang drywall, hang drapes, install panels, run conduit, pull wires, and install lighting as well as anybody, but I can't build a speaker or an amplifier to save my soul, and even if I could, I couldn't build these.

So far, it's proving to be much, much more than I'd dreamed.
    Sure sounds sweet. I can't wait to hear your thoughts after the calibration. You've put a lot of work into the room and I'm sure countless hours into getting the funds for the project. I'm not sure I'd call it a poor mans anything.

You do have me wondering about this PC600 though. Don't you have a few PT's sitting around you can throw into the room to see how much of a difference the treatments make? Maybe in a few months when the euphoria has gone down a little.

I did some searching for that DVD-A of Dark Side Of The Moon and can't seem to find it. Do you remember where you got it?

OTOH, if I had done the room as it is now, I might never have replaced the Performance Series.
    Could you please drop some design thoughts for your room treatments, maybe a sketch? It could be useful, rather sooner than later I will change rooms here.

Thread Information