Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Well, you don't want the sub's FR to just end at or near the XO point, it needs a smooth transistion.
    I'm with you on smooth transition, but even at a crossover of 130 Hz like the PS, you'd be "missing" a good bit of their high end potential. I'm honestly just really impressed with JBL's technology making a driver, with a cone that large, that can move that fast. It's great engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post
    I'm with you on smooth transition, but even at a crossover of 130 Hz like the PS, you'd be "missing" a good bit of their high end potential. I'm honestly just really impressed with JBL's technology making a driver, with a cone that large, that can move that fast. It's great engineering.
    The old LE14A, as used in the L55, crossed to the tweeter at 2k. One member a few years back bought a pair of L55s and was surprised how good they sound. I've still got 3 of them.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

ti dome

i now under stand it is a provitional room so it is no worth spending on putting a new wall in front of the old one to have the spekers fulshed correctly and have the rest of it act as a low frecueny absorber

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    The old LE14A, as used in the L55, crossed to the tweeter at 2k. One member a few years back bought a pair of L55s and was surprised how good they sound. I've still got 3 of them.
    2000 Hz!

I have to admit, I feel kind of blessed to have found JBL so early in my audio-life. I feel like I've dodged a lot of bullets and found a lot of gold (thanks in no small part to LH and the JBL thread over at AVS; that means all of you who contribute!). I am, however, trying like hell to avoid the vintage collecting habit that will one day endanger my future childrens' inheritances.

Major change

So I asked Chris about uniform height for the fronts and the next thing I know I'm building a platform all the way across the front to provide a single horizontal plane for the proscenium. This provides identical vertical elevation of each of the SAM units.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

The front sub now will be partly built into its own enclosure, seen here to the right. The divider is actually two sheets of plywood over a foam cell insulator. Also, I didn't get a pic of the vibration dampers built into the platform between it and the 2x4 subframe. The subframe is bolted into the studs on three sides and easily holds my weight.
    Out.

The surrounds are all mounted on subframes, too.

The top shows how I wish each one looked, with a clean install and no wire visible, but this is only possible on one wall. The rear and right side walls are exterior walls with 2x8 studs, with sheathing, metal screening, and stucco on the outside, so access is not possible without ripping out the drywall, and that's not something I will do in this case.

The bottom shows the reality before placing the wires in runs, which you'll see eventually. The diffusers will go on the subframes on both sides of the S4Ai surrounds.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Wicked Dome your just wicked now was that my idea of extending from the other and making it look continuous. Spot on!

Hmm, now if you wanted to make the ceiling look flush just knock up some in-between plasterboard bweten that beam.

NO! You’ll loos the extra height in the room.

I guess if the surrounds centre back doesn’t meet high-expectations you could always undo them and shift them apart by few more inches.

But something tells me they looks spot on the money. Wricked fixing Dome you’re just wicked.

Oh, are the surrounds leaning forwards tilted downwards to the seating otherwise the sound is going to pass right over your head!

Make a piece of wood a large piece and angle the wood for the correct angle.

All my x10 JBL control 1 thou placed up high are all tilted downwards if I aim them upwards or cantered on the mounting, it would sound dreadful. So remember to angle those downwards, otherwise the highs will fly pass you.

Otherwise carry on its all coming together nicely.

Really exciting to watch this all coming together, TD. That bench up front is slick, and I can't wait to see the sub in there. Does it fit completely under that? God I wish I could hear this rig. Maybe some time I'll be out on that side of the country.

Enjoy it for all of us.

JBL 4645
    Really exciting to watch this all coming together, TD. That bench up front is slick, and I can't wait to see the sub in there. Does it fit completely under that? God I wish I could hear this rig. Maybe some time I'll be out on that side of the country.

Enjoy it for all of us.
    On there sides that is although in some cinemas the subs are placed in-between left and centre or centre and right. The platform only needs a few extra supports to support the weight.

No placed on there sides will look nice and you can slide the sub along the front to find the best spot with less null issues.

I have gut feeling it might sound like once CIC/UCI THX screen at High Wycombe, wickedly out of this world. Thou we have to wait till Dome’s man comes along to do the finalizing EQ on it.

I just noticed, you've gained some unexpected new laserdisc storage space to the left of where I assume the sub will go. Congratulations! Now get out there and get yourself that BR universal player! Spend! Spend! Spend! You're the only one keeping our economy afloat since Buffet laid back.

JBL 4645
    Spend! Spend! Spend! You're the only one keeping our economy afloat since Buffet laid back.
    I think he’s spent enough already and needs to save for rainy day intend. Materials must have cost near to a several hundreds.

But the way its shaping out looks like it cost several thousands and its looks all the part of neat looking funky home cinema.

I’d say Dome’s looks more chic looking than $6millions if you catch my drift.

One thing I wanted to show was the installation of the acoutsical pnels on the proscenium. However, I learned that a black wall doesn't photograph well. The flippin' camera can't focus on it.

So I put the Synthesis® manual on the countertop to get a focus pint. Unfortunately that's about all you see.
    Out.

A little side shot isn't much better. In the center is a 1" thick panel, then two 2" thick panels, and finally a 4" thick panel. It's the same in both directions.

On top of those 48" high panels are more panels to the ceiling.
    Out.

A rubber and felt mat supplies damping on top of the counter. Here are the fronts and sub all at home.
    Out.

Thread Information