Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Really looking forward to seeing more of how this turns out, TD. (otherwise I probably wouldn't have signed up on LH knowing they'll beat me up for having L fever)

Keep those photos coming!!

Well, we've all taken a drubbing now and then.

I just finished the final pull on the front speaker cables. As usual, it was more work than I expected. There was a fire stop in the wall I was trying to feed the lines through. It was about four feet from my handy box hole.

Thank goodness for cordless power drills and long wood boring bits.

I had to crawl in and out of this four times, since this is a one man show. (My GF is off taking part of the CPA exam.) I had to go under the house, then back into the basement, then back under the house, then back into the basement. Yeah, I know it sounds funny, but the unfinished part of the house is next to and slightly higher than the HT and the fitness/music roon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Once through the hole I got to dance around and over the Radon removal system and the slippery plastic. Then I squeezed between the 2x8 framing on the interior foundation wall into the pit on the other side, a drop of about five feet.

The pit is actually another 14x16 unfinished area with a big plastic covered mound of earth in the middle.
    Out.

Next project: Bat Cave.

Finally, I managed to hold the fiberglass insulation out of the way and drill through the fire stop below. After feeding the cables through, I pulled them out the hole on the other side, ran them through a Leviton service plate, and snapped my victory shot.

After the final speaker connections, I'll cover the white cables with black cable covers. (But I won't put them on polished stones or maple blocks--at least not yet.)
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    Boy, it seems like your house just never ends. I've done my share of 2 man jobs by myself so I know what you're talking about. A few weeks of work for years of enjoyment is a good trade off.

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing more of how this turns out, TD. (otherwise I probably wouldn't have signed up on LH knowing they'll beat me up for having L fever)
    Those L's of your's are Bad Ass

In anticipation of tomorrow's work, I finally started unpacking some of the gear. I just had to do it.

Here are three shots of the SAM1HF and SAM2LF units. They're big, about 38" tall together. Heavy, too.

Before I got these, I had the idea that an 800 Array would be a rough equivalent. Not even close. Not the 1000 Array either. The 1400 Array would be better on the low end, probably, but I might think differently after I hear these.

If you've seen any of the Array Series units, the HF enclosure looks similar to these, but when you've seen both in person, the differences are notable.

(I guess I should save these comments for the other thread.)
    Out.

Here's a side shot to give a sense of depth.
    Out.

From the other side you can see the SDP-5 on the floor. It's basically a Lexicon MC-8. The speakers dwarf it.
    Out.

The S4Ai surrounds are much smaller, but have a lot of heft. There's six drivers in them. Here are two of the four; the other two are behind. The grilles are on the right. Then there's a shot from the side to show how shallow the enclosures are.

The SDEC-4000X and SDEC-4000-P are on top, still in plastic. I'll let someone else take them out.

I'm not sure getting the S1S-EX subs out is a one man job, so I may use some good sense and wait until I have help.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    Very cool, where is the little head with the drool when you need it? what do the S4Ai's weigh?

Since I can't get the subs out, I muscled the amplifiers around.

Here's all five, including two S5160, two S800 and one used S400, which may or may not make it into the lineup.

That's some serious power, and I hope the room and the electric meter can handle it.
    Out.

Minus the S1S-EX subs, here's a shot of the whole system. It's the first time out of the box as a group since I got them in Febraury. February, March, April, May... long process!

Looks promising. How will it sound in my room? :dont-know
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Since I can't get the subs out, I muscled the amplifiers around.

Here's all five, including two S5160, two S800 and one used S400, which may or may not make it into the lineup.

That's some serious power, and I hope the room and the electric meter can handle it.
    So now instead of wondering what it costs to go see a movie you will be wondering what it costs to see one at home. It should be crazy good. What do they charge there for power?

Thread Information