Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ash, I'm pretty sure that concrete is structural - its the FOOTER, and it can't go away ...
    I think thats TiDome's designer's problem ... and his!

The other possibility would be to build up the rest of the wall so its all at that same level, stuffing behind it to deaden any reverberations ...
    Yep, anytime you see a boxed out section in a room you can bet its either structural or some kind of chase for AC, electrical, or exhaust outlet.

And that concrete is indeed a structural footing. As I remember TiDome mentioned that is a 3 story house. Thus the cost quote he was given to remove the two support columns in the wall between the two rooms.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

JBL 4645
    Okay then let’s at least take another look at it. There has got to be away around this. Dome more pictures of the room from very front to the very back and side to side take enough so we can see if there is way around this.

Again what is the size of the room depth length and height?

All right. Now that the fires have burned down, let's get this thing back on track.

I was up in the Valley (yes, that Valley) in Sherman Oaks today and stopped at Steven Klein's place and picked up the diffusers. I got a baker's dozen of the Saturn Polycylindrical diffusers.

http://www.soundcontrolroom.com/prod...ion/saturn.htm

They're pretty darn cool, and they're paintable.

He had some on the back walls in his place and the diffusion was splendid. I liked them much better than the overpriced foam skyline-style ones I was looking at, which required custom priced painting at the factory.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

Nice, and very reasonable pricing.

So, is the plan to move forward in this room as a temp install with the eventual goal of moving the system into a less "problematic" space, or has a work-around been established for the footer?

Best,
    - Mike

Temp.

In about a year (if I have the money) we'll build out the "big room" that's unfinished down there.

Then the current room becomes the music room, and the lower room becomes the fitness room, and all is right for me to enjoy in my remaining viable years.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Temp.

In about a year (if I have the money) we'll build out the "big room" that's unfinished down there.

Then the current room becomes the music room, and the lower room becomes the fitness room, and all is right for me to enjoy in my remaining viable years.
    That’s if you finish it of course. I’m only kidding.

Makes sense get those JBL up and running and while its keeping you happy as well as keeping us interested in the pictures. You can be slowly transforming the other room and than make the transfer over with equipment installation.

All right. Now that the fires have burned down, let's get this thing back on track.

I was up in the Valley (yes, that Valley) in Sherman Oaks today and stopped at Steven Klein's place and picked up the diffusers. I got a baker's dozen of the Saturn Polycylindrical diffusers.

http://www.soundcontrolroom.com/prod...ion/saturn.htm

He had some on the back walls in his place and the diffusion was splendid. I liked them much better than the overpriced foam skyline-style ones I was looking at, which required custom priced painting at the factory.
    That’s interesting how much?
    [Mumbling]
    Please let it be affordable please let it be affordable as I’m only a peasant not rich man.

I’m somewhat fascinated with the diffusers at the EMPIRE and the way there laid out around the cinema and the texture of the paint work as well.

I’ll try and get some better pictures of the diffusers next time I visit the EMPIRE.

I was designing a simple side panel a kinder of mini-me version, not sure which materials to use? I was thinking of MDF or something lightweight with unique acoustical properties?

Closer view of the sidewall panels

Note the layout of the diffusers on the sidewalls and ceiling

I kinder lost count a few weeks back as I was counting how many diffusers EMPIRE 1 has before the film started. It’s not easy with the coloured lighting change the mood ever 1 minute or so. I guess there’s around 200 plus on the first part of the front along the walls and across the ceiling area.

So about or near to 900 plus, I might be wrong thou?

I guess there must be hundreds of sites linking and relating to audio diffusers.

http://www.soundsorba.com/diffusorba.htm

Also on the subject of diffusers and the type of shape it is, where does one or how on Earth do you calculate where to place them?

electrical service

If you take two S800 amplifiers (2400W maximum power consumption), add two S5160 amps (1800W maximum power consumption), and a spare S400 (1200W maximum power consumption), then add in the normal componentry, you're looking at quite a power hungry system. :shock:

Originally we planned a 20 Amp dedicated power circuit, but now it's two 20 Amp circuits (@ 110 Volts for those who are thinking 220) that have to be drawn from the breaker box all the way to the equipment closet. That's about 60 feet away, and of course most of the wiring is below grade, so I'll spend the weekend drilling through walls, floors, and joists; mounting and joining conduit; and fishing, pulling, and connecting wires. I actually thought we'd need three 20 Amp circuits, but Chris says two will be enough.

I've already pulled four channels of 14/4 speaker wire (runs A thru D), and I have five more (E thru I) to go.

For those keeping track, if I get the electrical done, finish the wall sanding and painting, install the carpet, and mount the equipment in the racks, then it's time to have Chris come in, mount the speakers, acoustic panels, and diffusers, do the calibration, and I'm in business!

This weekend I'll get some pictures up of the progress.
    Out.

Synthesis® Calibration Event

Look here for a unique opportunity:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...329#post252329
    Out.

Here are some recent shots.

The wall and ceiling painting on the front is essentially finished. Some spots weren't quite dry, so they reflect back as white spots. The receptacles and cover plates were swapped out for black ones in the front, and the can lights had black bezels put in, as well as low light, low energy bulbs.

A black drape will go over the media storage.

The brown is much darker than it appears in these flash-brightened shots, and the walls appear to be white even though they're a dusky yellow. When the lights are off, the front wall and ceiling disappear into black.

Tomorrow the screen goes up.

The pictures are front left and front right.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 05-26-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Extra info for clarity.
    Out.

The carpet is ready to go. It's "relaxing" overnight from being rolled up for almost two weeks. If it's ready, it'll get installed in the next day or two.

Here's a look at the carpet and one of the polycylindrical diffusers.

Again, the walls and the carpet are much darker than they appear.
    Out.

The drywall around the front of the equipment closet and the reduced opening to the lower room are done.

Dark drapes will be hung over the door. Chris says we'll use the space in the lower room as a well for the massive bass pushed out by the S1S-EX subs. Otherwise it might be overwhelming.

The back wall of the equipment closet will remain unfinished until all the gear is installed. Then a rear access door will go in flush with the wall.
    Out.

From the backside some closet details emerge.

I used metal conduit to force a path for the electric wiring and speaker cables through the load-bearing shear wall. I kept them 18" apart all along their paths.

That speaker cable run is for the fronts only. It's four runs of 14/4 cable. There will be five more runs coming from the back. Altogether there will be 18 speaker wire pairs. Two pairs will be unused for now, but available for future height channels or whatever.

The dedicated electrical circuits were a major pain. Getting them from the typical California electrical box on the outside of the house at one upper corner to the equipment closet at the lower opposite side was much more work than anticipated.

So for all that effort, there are two 20 Amp circuits just for the Synthesis® system and nothing else. What, only four plugs?

Well, there will be power distribution gear plugged into the outlets.
    Out.

80sKid
    Glad to see you're still making steady progress.

It's not surprising to hear to about Chris' suggestion for the bass. Since it's not currently practical for you to isolate the listening room from the gym area, the bass would leak out anyway. And since the system is intended to fill a much bigger space with bass to begin with, that's a practical approach.

Have you thought about breaking in the speakers prior to installation? If not, I would strongly urge you to do it. The initial hours of speaker operation typically see a significant improvement in sound quality.

Otherwise you could possibly end up with a brighter character to the system than you would like during the initial auditions and this could affect calibration, as well.

Since you have so many amps and speakers to break-in it will probably make life easier to do just 1 amp and 2 speakers at a time. (I usually play white noise for 24-48 hours at a medium volume.) If you reverse the polarity on the speakers and put them face to face, that reduces the amount of sound being transmitted into the room (and reduces the chances of you hearing the white noise from another room). Although, this may not help when doing the surround speakers (because of their dipole design), but it it will for the fronts.

Mike Ronesia
    WOW! Looks good. I bet your getting very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    WOW! Looks good. I bet your getting very excited.
    Excited and tired. While I'm spending, spending, and spending more money, this is still a mostly DIY project to save cash.

My years spent in the construction industry while I worked my way through college and grad school are really paying off. I thought those years were behind me, but the experience and skills really come in handy right now. Who knew? :dont-know
    Out.

Thread Information