Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post
    That's a lot of sound you got there. Was trying to figure out how you had all 16 channels hooked up? And what did you do with the "extra" amps they sent?

Oh and Oppo's new Blu-ray player was released last week. How can you not add one to this system.
    Hey, welcome to the forums! Nice to see you over here.

The fronts are essentially actively biamped, so six channels feed the front, center, and right mains. Then there's four surrounds, so that adds up to ten channels. The subs are running off the S800s as bridged units, so that's all four channels of those two amps, totaling 14 channels.

The S400 is not part of the main system but will be employed to drive a second two-channel zone, so there you have all sixteen channels.

I could have left the S400 out, but there was plenty of room and it seemed extra cool to have a five-stack of amps, which makes this stack 25% bigger than the other guys who got the same system.

Sheesh! Who's acting like a kid now?

As for the OPPO, it's tempting, very tempting...
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    What can I say? I'm still a working class chump.
    You, sir, are prone to irony.

I like the 5-stack of amps very much. It's the Dagwood of amplification, and that's a good thing.

I'm doing a rough lay out of acoustic panels in preparation for mounting in a couple of days. I've taken two days off at the end of the week just to work on this. It's really quite a marvel how much these rough placements improve an already impressive sound.

This will also serve to whet your appetite to visit the other thread for some equipment descriptions now that I've had a couple of days to loosen everything up and actually listen to music.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=23833&page=12
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Directly above the LD player and below the SDP-5 is an OPPO 981HD in a temporary install. We're waiting for the proper shelf.

Part of my dilemma is deciding to go with a Bluray player or not. I'm resisting.
    Oppo BDP-83 will best the older 981 by quite a bit on DVD's and add BluRay too, not to mention SACD and DVD-A. That system is begging for a better DVD player and BD. BD if only for the lossless audio.

I must say I am already jealous, even before you have it finished. Excellent choices on your upgrades and you've convinced me to swap my Synth HT4's for Surface to Air Missiles. I was thinking of Array 1400's or even JBL Cinema speakers, but I like the way the SAM's look without grills (there is beauty in their simplicity). I could use them with a large plasma display, and admire them even when there is nothing on the screen.

Chris did an excellent job with the wiring. Get the Oppo while you still have his magic fingers to plug it all in.

Congrats on having one of the best (if not THE best) home theater sound systems in the world.

JBL 4645
    Dome

Are the speakers going across this area is this the front?

If so build a quick extension platform. Rip off the edging at the bottom of the first one take the top off or keep it on and just extend a bit further so the JBL can rest on top of it. Although if a projection screen is going in the front LCR may need to be raised up a bit higher.

Or maybe total baffle wall with the speakers housed in.

I’m curious as to why thee port holes and yet the enclosure because it looks a bit small than the JBL 4645C that also looks like JBL 2242 18” if I’m not too mistaken.

What’s the frequency response cover 20Hz to 80 or 120Hz will it manage below 20Hz?

Rattles you’ll have to check for rattles and buzzing sounds with slow frequency sweep in the low range.

Floorboards
    Lighting
    Rack frame and experiment

I didn’t see any windows so you should be safe.

Ti dome

so you will not be puting your system in wall or just on wall

the sam units are desing to be in wall and if you put them on wall this will bring you some cancelation points that are not fixable via EQ in the 100 to 200th hz area

will this room be your permanent room or are you planing to change to a biger room

SteveW
    Just now catching up on your project here - kudos!

Can't help but mention something about your panel placement. You may already be aware of this, and at the risk of some slight oversimplification, the further you can mount them from the wall behind the better.

They will be most effective for you if they are mounted at a distance near the 1/4 or 3/4 wavelength point of a particular problem frequency where the particle velocity is highest. For example, the 1/4 wavelength distance of 220hz is 1' 3-7/16"

When mounted at the wall surface, a 1" thick panel will only absorb extremely high frequencys. Also, when mounted away from the wall, a resistive absorber does extra duty since reflected air molecules try to pass through from behind as well.

Simply put, a resistive panel works best where the particle velocity is the highest. This is not at the wall, where it is zero.

I really respect your effort - superb!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Ti dome

the sam units are desing to be in wall and if you put them on wall this will bring you some cancelation points that are not fixable via EQ in the 100 to 200th hz area

will this room be your permanent room or are you planing to change to a biger room
    Yeah flush with the wall will make for smarter look.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Dome

Although if a projection screen is going in the front LCR may need to be raised up a bit higher.

Or maybe total baffle wall with the speakers housed in.

I’m curious as to why thee port holes and yet the enclosure because it looks a bit small than the JBL 4645C that also looks like JBL 2242 18” if I’m not too mistaken.

What’s the frequency response cover 20Hz to 80 or 120Hz will it manage below 20Hz?

Rattles you’ll have to check for rattles and buzzing sounds with slow frequency sweep in the low range.

Floorboards
    Lighting
    Rack frame and experiment

I didn’t see any windows so you should be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Ti dome

the sam units are desing to be in wall

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Just now catching up on your project here - kudos!

Can't help but mention something about your panel placement. You may already be aware of this, and at the risk of some slight oversimplification, the further you can mount them from the wall behind the better.

Simply put, a resistive panel works best where the particle velocity is the highest. This is not at the wall, where it is zero.

I really respect your effort - superb!

Guys, I appreciate your comments. Keep them coming. I'll consider them, though don't be disappointed if I go a different way.

My primary guide here is Chris, and he knows the system better than any of us. He also knows my limitations, and he's a real down-to-earth, practical guy to work with. It's always a pleasure to meet a guy who had a hand in the development of a great system, been at the top of a division, and has done many, many installations in diverse venues, and he's still easy to talk to and considerate of the customer's reality.

Some of these questions are already answered, but since they're scattered here and there in a couple of threads, here's a digest.

This is a temporary install due to the problems we encountered in the actual construction of the room. If you look at the picture of the three fronts, on the brown wall you'll see a white mark on the wall between the center and right side speaker. That marks the height of the block foundation retaining wall 3.5" behind the drywall. Nothing's going in that wall. The cabinet under the right speaker contains a foundation caisson, which is anchored to the Palos Verdes bedrock 18' below. It's not moving. Just off to the left is the earthquake shear wall behind the drywall, so there's no expansion in that direction. IOW, the room is as it is.

The fronts will be surrounded by 4" thick acoustical panels, so they'll in effect be marginally recessed. The fronts will also be hidden behind a Stewart Filmscreen Microperf on factory T-stands. Perfect, no, but it's what we can do.

The surrounds will be wall-mounted inside boxes. They'll have a diffuser directly to either side and a 2" acoustic panel directly underneath. The diffusers and panels will be 1.75" off the walls.

Or we may change all of this as we progress!

Keep those cards and letters coming.
    Out.

Be sure to aim those subs sideways or they'll put your eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'm sure Chris knows exactly where they should go.

My own semi-calibrated Synth system bests most movie theaters in sound. A calibrated Synth system, by one of its designers, is bound to best some of the better theaters you could visit.

TiDome has put his eyes on the prize of HT, and is almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    What I can't believe is that they're rated up to 200 Hz? I mean seriously, who could sit in that room if the extension was high enough? Wowza...

TD, you've got yourself some heavy hitters. I hope you saved every last bit of your hearing for this one.

JBL 4645
    Dome

Would you, also listen to music non-sync mode with the perforated screen, you know just like in the cinema at low level to simulate the conditions or atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by nlsteele View Post
    What I can't believe is that they're rated up to 200 Hz? I mean seriously, who could sit in that room if the extension was high enough? Wowza...

TD, you've got yourself some heavy hitters. I hope you saved every last bit of your hearing for this one.
    Well, you don't want the sub's FR to just end at or near the XO point, it needs a smooth transistion.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information