Thread: Marantz SA7S1 CDP

Marantz SA7S1 CDP

Has anyone heard this player before. I am thinking of matching up my system to the complete reference series. I may trade a McIntosh Pre & Marantz Pearl cdp to get it.

This will be local so I will be able to hear it but, as usual, like to ask others of their opinions because they do matter to me.

Thanks.

Its a damn good CDP, but i prefer dCS, or Mcintosh MDA1000.

Both are more expensive.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I suppose you get what you pay for with most things. The option for me is a brand new Marantz from a dealer (not a demo) for $4200 (+ tax).

Not certain that it would be a $4k upgrade in sound vs. what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    I suppose you get what you pay for with most things. The option for me is a brand new Marantz from a dealer (not a demo) for $4200 (+ tax).

At that price it's a steal.

Retail price (including VAT) in Norway is around $13.600. Using an exchange rate of 5.5NOK/USD

-Tim

Unless you will be displaying it and really are into the aesthetics... I wouldn't do it. CDs are about to go the way of vinyl records... oh, bad example. Seriously though, CDs will be less and less important as we move into digital alternatives. I'd put my money in a good DAC that can work with all digital sources.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Unless you will be displaying it and really are into the aesthetics... I wouldn't do it. CDs are about to go the way of vinyl records... oh, bad example. Seriously though, CDs will be less and less important as we move into digital alternatives. I'd put my money in a good DAC that can work with all digital sources.

Widget
    I will be displaying it and aesthetics ARE important to me-that is the 'problem' I seem to have. The digital alternatives you speak of might not be all that important to me in the future-I don't know. I could sell off the pieces in the future if it does become an issue...I am just wondering if $4K spent now with the gear I have would be noticable if I pulled the trigger ( I do love the Pre/amp combo).

Thanks for the advice.

I am just wondering if $4K spent now with the gear I have would be noticable if I pulled the trigger.

I would say YES!

However. I do agree with Widget that the futere is DAC based. So getting a good price if you sell the CDP in a couple of years could prove difficult.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    So getting a good price if you sell the CDP in a couple of years could prove difficult.
    I would bet you would have trouble getting half your money back in a couple of years... an old tube Mac will go up or at least hold it's value... any CD player will drop like a stone.

That said, most of us don't buy our audio gear as a monetary investment.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I would bet you would have trouble getting half your money back in a couple of years... an old tube Mac will go up or at least hold it's value... any CD player will drop like a stone.

That said, most of us don't buy our audio gear as a monetary investment.

Widget
    Very true. That issue is really not my concern. I understand electronics in general have a shelve life depending somewhat on technical advances. I do not think that I would need anything more than what I have anyway-not that it is the best gear-but that it is good enough for me and I have other areas for 'investments'. I started in earnest trying to build a system that I consider very good a few years ago and I think I am quite near the end. This purchase may put me where I want to be.

Pulled the trigger. No cash outlay. Just traded stuff (including the Pearl) that was lying around.

I suspect most don't care for Marantz and think it is a mid-fi HT company but I beleive the reference series may change a few minds if 'ya heard it.

Anyway, the transaction is in progress and I will be getting a new SA7S1 w/warranty.

For now, I think I will be set up well for a while. Thank you to all that have given suggestions and helped me understand this hobby a little bit better.

Peace.

I suspect most don't care for Marantz and think it is a mid-fi HT company but I beleive the reference series may change a few minds if 'ya heard it.
    I think you are absolutly right. I guess the reason is that most people are only familiar with Marantz's cheap recievers.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I think you are absolutly right. I guess the reason is that most people are only familiar with Marantz's cheap recievers.
    We've recently moved away from Integra and have been using Marantz's cheap AVR receivers... well, mid priced and above actually. They have gone through so many ownership changes over the decades it is hard to think of their heritage as being much more than industrial design styling cues originally penned by Saul Marantz himself. That said, I do think the current iteration of the brand is a good one.

Enjoy your player!

Widget

External Clock

I am enjoying the Marantz reference system a lot. This equipment is very, very good as far as I am concerned. I am content with the setup and all is well.

However, I have noticed that the SA7S1 sacd player has the ability to add an external clock. I am a bit curious about this. Has anyone had any experience when adding a hi end clock to thier system? I have read about the Grimm Audio CC1 on a review from Hi-FI world (5/09). They thought highly of such a device.

Thanks for any comments.

Thread Information