Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Who will be doing the physical installation?
    First I have to get a contractor for the room modifications.
    Out.

First I have to get a contractor for the room modifications.
    How big a room are you putting this into??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

It's about 4,760 cubic feet.

Approximately 14' 6" wide in the front to 16' 6" in the back, 32' deep, and 10' 8" high in the front stepped to 8' 8" in the back (the floor is stepped, not the ceiling).
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It's about 4,760 cubic feet.

Approximately 14' 6" wide in the front to 16' 6" in the back, 32' deep, and 10' 8" high in the front stepped to 8' 8" in the back (the floor is stepped, not the ceiling).
    That’s only trifle more bit larger than my living room.

Live in noisy neighbourhood with yelling and barking dogs, trains planes and automobiles outside?

You’re going to have to counterbalance this thread with the same amount of pages with images because the text is starting to tip this one over.

Synthesis, right ahead!
    Hard to starboard!

Been browsing though one of the user manual. It has computer lead input. So does the engineer calibrate this from his office as these things are shipped around worldwide and it would be near or not quite impossible but, its not a commercial cinema it’s the home. Home doesn’t make any commercial profit, cinema does.

Seems like dicey thing to set-up with all this computer aided technology. Guess this will take days to set-up.

Are you building any type of THX baffle wall for the front LCR and subs bass speakers’ to be housed in?

Testing for rattles and buzzes on each speaker assembly.

Tighten down windows doors lighting and remove any objects from the room that might present an issue with rattling or buzzing sounds.

Oh, yeah, this is going to take you days until you can start playing with it.

The freight company called and scheduled delivery between 10 and 2 on Wednesday the 11th. You can see some photos then.

I've got a contractor coming by tomorrow to estimate some flatwork for me.

Some estimates for room treatments are on the way.

$$$$$$$$

In the end, I'll probably do 80% of the work myself, so it'll be weeks, not days before this all comes together.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    I'm happy without the XLRs. I got a good deal. I've been on the phone a couple of times with the dealer, and he's been pleasant and supportive. He's working with UPS to handle the problem.

Widget is 100% right. It will be a while before any sound comes out of this system. I haven't even had time to take anything out of the box after my initial, cursory inspection for shipping damage. I'm not even sure HOW I'll get some of it out. It's too much for a single person. I might be asking someone to come help me.

My goal is to have things set up before the end of March. I'm trying to discipline myself to do this right, at least within the limits of my budget.
    Fly me over and I’ll lead a hand. I’ve got sod-all to plus the weather is naff over here.

I was right that room has to be remodelled from the ground-up to fully exploit the grandeur of the JBL Synthesis and beyond!

Set your goals high and beyond or on par with the Empire.

Most cinemas often take many months of design planning building and installing, before opening its doors to the general public.

I have THX manual around the flat somewhere that goes into not too much detail for home THX set-up but it does state not sure about the quote. It takes more than just stacking speakers up in room.

I think you’ve taken on a huge undertaking that will take several months before its all finished.

Have done any nail sketch drawings as of yet, what design ides do you have in mind? a cool looking near by JBL THX cinema might be good starting point?

Keep the materials high but affordable remember this has cots you, “a bomb” “a bo” “no not a bo” “a bomb”!

Any plans to put a few real cinema seats in the room to make it feel and look the part.

Any thoughts as of yet, are you daydreaming brainstorming the idea out on paper?

Lots of paper sketches, lots of room treatment alternatives, lots of sweating over $$$$ to do it right.

Right now I'm thinking $4,000 for room treatments, $10,000 for construction, $1,500 for calibration, and $XX,000 for the system. Egad!

Still working on final ratios, but the room specs out well at 14'6"x22'6"x10'8", with three tiers, all gear stowed in a separate, adjacent room (needs to be partially excavated and concrete floor put in), plus extensive application of sound traps and wall treatments. Then of course there's wiring and independent electrical service, new ultra-quiet HVAC system, another trip to Ikea for Poang chairs. etc.

Some might say "Why?" but I've made the commitment. I'm going to get it as close as I possible can while I can still enjoy it, and f@#k everything else. I'll be driving that Hyundai for a long time to come.
    Out.

I'll be driving that Hyundai for a long time to come.
    No problem as long as it has a decent JBL audio system in it.

JBL 4645
    Lots of paper sketches, lots of room treatment alternatives, lots of sweating over $$$$ to do it right.

Right now I'm thinking $4,000 for room treatments, $10,000 for construction, $1,500 for calibration, and $XX,000 for the system. Egad!

Still working on final ratios, but the room specs out well at 14'6"x22'6"x10'8", with three tiers, all gear stowed in a separate, adjacent room (needs to be partially excavated and concrete floor put in), plus extensive application of sound traps and wall treatments. Then of course there's wiring and independent electrical service, new ultra-quiet HVAC system, another trip to Ikea for Poang chairs. etc.

Some might say "Why?" but I've made the commitment. I'm going to get it as close as I possible can while I can still enjoy it, and f@#k everything else. I'll be driving that Hyundai for a long time to come.
    Whoa, whoa hold on down not some fast and don’t be too hasty. Have you really got that kind of money to splash out? $10K is lot of money I mean a lot. Surly you do this for less than $10KI mean that room isn’t cinema size and yet I can understand commitment and dedication to perfection, just as long as it doesn’t cost $6Million if you catch my drift.

If I was going to do my living room out I’d keep it within a hundreds not the thousands.

Anyway it’s your money not mine, just don’t go overboard.

{muttering to myself $10K this guy is crazy.]

Can you draw no I don’t mean Gunfight at the Okay corral can you draw basic pictures with colouring pencils. Draw some ideas and lets all have look.

In my oppinion $10k on construction isnt that bad if you want it done right. Just think about what it costs to redo a kitchen or a bathroom..

The $$$ fly free......

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

... another trip to Ikea for Poang chairs. etc. ...
    No theater chairs?

Quote Originally Posted by doyall View Post
    No theater chairs?
    Have you ever spent a few hours cradled in a Poang chair??
    They are relatively inexpensive (even with leather cushions),
    they are darned comfortable, and look quite good as well!
    Add in the matching footstools and ... ahhhh!

Wish I had a bigger room - but the chair is perfecto!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Have you ever spent a few hours cradled in a Poang chair??
    Hello Heather

Are those neck rests or head rests?? Does the back of the chair go above your head??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

The point of doing this and F^$%g everything else is so true! I finally bought a decent system but my hearing is obviously deteriorating. Enjoy the Hyundai, maybe upgrade the stereo so it accepts MP3s and all will be good.

Enjoy!

Mark
    PS are those the 240TI you out bid me when I was noob?
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Still working on final ratios, but the room specs out well at 14'6"x22'6"x10'8...
    Is that L x W x H?

If so, the JBL Room Mode Calculator shows the imbedded image. There are weak clusters at ~50Hz, ~100Hz and ~158Hz, but not so bad.

But, since you are doing all this advance planning you really should check out the Room Reverb / Sabine Calculator and Charts site and work through your possible RT60 using Sabine values of various wall/ceiling/floor materials. You could end-up with a really sweet place.

As well, Linkwitz has some great stuff, and a Room Mode calculator, too. However, my quick model of your ratios shows you are WELL ahead of the game! Nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information