Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

At the recent Harman International Northridge tour, we had the chance to listen to the Eargle Theater (Everest Synthesis® set up), and those of the group who've heard my set up were quite complimentary in comparison. It helps that I have a smaller room and a single row of seats. Since no one in the room that day is likely to afford a full Everest Synthesis® system, those who have not been over are now seeking to get an invite to make the comparison, as futile as that might be given the time lapsed between listening. One member commented at the tour that he'd never heard better balance in a system than at my place, and I'd have to agree that the Eargle was a little less impressive in that one regard.

The Eargle uses the S4Ai surrounds as does mine, and they really are superb surround speakers. I think my diffuser choice and diffuser placement (with Chris Neumann's advice) are better executed, and it results in a more satisfying surround sound field. So I'm happy with that. My two S1S-EX subs are just as convincing in my space as the four S1S-Ex subs are in the Eargle. Of course, my fronts are a long way from being Everests, but not so far away that a comparison can't be made. They definitely fit in my room and budget better. I think I'd prefer Everests as a stereo pair rather than in HT duty.
The Eargle Theater looks better in its fit and finish--no doubt about that. Yet, I believe the emphasis on aesthetics compromises the system just a bit. For example:

• All the speakers are mounted behind fabric wall coverings, including Everest, S4Ai, and S1S-EX.
  • The Everests are placed in separate chambers across the front, well up from the floor and recessed slightly into the walls.
  • The S1S-EX subs are placed above the Everest speakers in the front, partiallly obscured due to the shared enclosure's opening not being large enough to allow the whole driver to be open to the room.
  • The room has a drop ceiling with standard 2' x 4' white ceiling tiles. Above the ceiling is a warehouse-style open space many times larger than the room.
  • The sidewalls appear to be completely or almost completely absorptive, making for a very quiet room; too quiet IMO, deadening the requisite diffusion for good surround and requiring the system to work hard to liven the room.

I almost made the mistake of over deadening my room. I bought enough panels to virtually cover the side walls of the room. Fortunately, Chris straightened me out on that, so it does a really good job of creating an excellent surround sound and stereo sound sense of space far larger than the room.

My far less ambitious-looking room is more coherent. We tested it several times for vibrations and eliminated them. We measured, measured, then measured again, to get the exact placement of the speakers and diffusers.

In the Eargle room, I swear I could hear ceiling tile and ceiling grid noise (rattles, resonances, and vibrations) during the loudest moments. The HVAC system was audible. It kept reminding me I was in a room watching a movie. At home, I forget about the room and don't even think about it until time to turn the lights up.