Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Who will be doing the physical installation?
    First I have to get a contractor for the room modifications.
    Out.

First I have to get a contractor for the room modifications.
    How big a room are you putting this into??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

It's about 4,760 cubic feet.

Approximately 14' 6" wide in the front to 16' 6" in the back, 32' deep, and 10' 8" high in the front stepped to 8' 8" in the back (the floor is stepped, not the ceiling).
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It's about 4,760 cubic feet.

Approximately 14' 6" wide in the front to 16' 6" in the back, 32' deep, and 10' 8" high in the front stepped to 8' 8" in the back (the floor is stepped, not the ceiling).
    That’s only trifle more bit larger than my living room.

Live in noisy neighbourhood with yelling and barking dogs, trains planes and automobiles outside?

You’re going to have to counterbalance this thread with the same amount of pages with images because the text is starting to tip this one over.

Synthesis, right ahead!
    Hard to starboard!

Been browsing though one of the user manual. It has computer lead input. So does the engineer calibrate this from his office as these things are shipped around worldwide and it would be near or not quite impossible but, its not a commercial cinema it’s the home. Home doesn’t make any commercial profit, cinema does.

Seems like dicey thing to set-up with all this computer aided technology. Guess this will take days to set-up.

Are you building any type of THX baffle wall for the front LCR and subs bass speakers’ to be housed in?

Testing for rattles and buzzes on each speaker assembly.

Tighten down windows doors lighting and remove any objects from the room that might present an issue with rattling or buzzing sounds.

Oh, yeah, this is going to take you days until you can start playing with it.

The freight company called and scheduled delivery between 10 and 2 on Wednesday the 11th. You can see some photos then.

I've got a contractor coming by tomorrow to estimate some flatwork for me.

Some estimates for room treatments are on the way.

$$$$$$$$

In the end, I'll probably do 80% of the work myself, so it'll be weeks, not days before this all comes together.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    I'm happy without the XLRs. I got a good deal. I've been on the phone a couple of times with the dealer, and he's been pleasant and supportive. He's working with UPS to handle the problem.

Widget is 100% right. It will be a while before any sound comes out of this system. I haven't even had time to take anything out of the box after my initial, cursory inspection for shipping damage. I'm not even sure HOW I'll get some of it out. It's too much for a single person. I might be asking someone to come help me.

My goal is to have things set up before the end of March. I'm trying to discipline myself to do this right, at least within the limits of my budget.
    Fly me over and I’ll lead a hand. I’ve got sod-all to plus the weather is naff over here.

I was right that room has to be remodelled from the ground-up to fully exploit the grandeur of the JBL Synthesis and beyond!

Set your goals high and beyond or on par with the Empire.

Most cinemas often take many months of design planning building and installing, before opening its doors to the general public.

I have THX manual around the flat somewhere that goes into not too much detail for home THX set-up but it does state not sure about the quote. It takes more than just stacking speakers up in room.

I think you’ve taken on a huge undertaking that will take several months before its all finished.

Have done any nail sketch drawings as of yet, what design ides do you have in mind? a cool looking near by JBL THX cinema might be good starting point?

Keep the materials high but affordable remember this has cots you, “a bomb” “a bo” “no not a bo” “a bomb”!

Any plans to put a few real cinema seats in the room to make it feel and look the part.

Any thoughts as of yet, are you daydreaming brainstorming the idea out on paper?

"before" pictures?

I'm fortunate to have a pretty good room to put it all in, though there will be some modifications to the room and some new treatments to really bring out the best.
    Hey Dome,

Looking forward to a detailed story of the travails and triumphs of your room reconstruction and system installation with lots of pictures and anecdotes.

How about some "before" pictures of your room before it starts getting transformed.

Hope the journey will be more than !
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    How about some "before" pictures of your room before it starts getting transformed.

Widget

JBL 4645
    I think we need more pictures please more…there’s too much text.

On thread

I should have some pictures to post this weekend of the ongoing modifications in the HT room. We've been doing a search of the blueprints to get some insight into the structural design down there. It appears there might be a column that runs from the foundation through all three floors and up to the gable in the attic. This would be a major factor, both in removing the wall to join the two rooms and in the possible placement of the S4Ai units.
    Out.

It appears there might be a column that runs from the foundation through all three floors and up to the gable in the attic.
    Ouch!! That can get really expensive. Sounds like it could be load bearing. Are the floor joists or headers tied to it?? Is it a Plumbing/Electical/Heat/Air conduit?? That could suck as well. Well good luck I hope it is something you can easilly move without major renovations.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

JBL 4645
    Looks like the Dome is making small waves on AVS as someone here posted this or it might be a natural JBL voyeur peeking around. Thing is Dome how far have you got so far is it starting to come together or is it still boxed up?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=866797&page=180

Sympathy for the Synthesis®

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Ouch!! That can get really expensive. Sounds like it could be load bearing. Are the floor joists or headers tied to it?? Is it a Plumbing/Electical/Heat/Air conduit?? That could suck as well. Well good luck I hope it is something you can easilly move without major renovations.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Looks like the Dome is making small waves on AVS as someone here posted this or it might be a natural JBL voyeur peeking around. Thing is Dome how far have you got so far is it starting to come together or is it still boxed up?
    Well, it's official:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Finally the replacement S5160 arrived intact. Yay!

Man those things are heavy. The UPS guy and I struggled to get it safely down to its destination.

I also received the new projector mount, the 25' HDMI cable, and 30 yards of black crushed velvet.

I love it when a plan comes together.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information