Thread: JBL 610 Headphones Volume Shoots Up

JBL 610 Headphones Volume Shoots Up

I bought the JBL 610 Headphones (on sale at Sears) and they sound great except that after about an hour of listening the volume just shoots up on its own. I think the ratio of high to low end shifts towards the high end as well, but can't be sure.

Any thoughts? I don't want to return them because I'm happy with them otherwise and it would honestly just be a hassle. Thanks in advance.

Headphones: the red-headed stepchild of the audiophile community. Thanks for looking anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingiswayo View Post
    Headphones: the red-headed stepchild of the audiophile community. Thanks for looking anyway.
    nah, I have Sennheisers near my system but haven't used them much in years ...
    Have JBL 220 phones for my Pod, but use something else most of the time.
    just don't know what to tell you ... sounds like something is intermittent ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

More likely the lack of response from this community is due to the JBL-badged consumer gear you're inquiring about. If my info is correct, these were recently on sale at Sears for $38?

Most here are into hi-fi JBL, predominantly vintage JBL at that, with a rabid following of the current hi-end pro and HT gear. BlueTooth headphones that limit the audio spectrum, compressing the compressed format even further, and are primarily intended for listening to compressed audio files on portable digital players are often not considered high-fidelity and usually don't have a large following on Internet hi-fi forums.

Sears has a very liberal return policy and I think I'd just return them for another pair and see it they work any better. If they do work out, let us know. I've seen them as cheap as $25 and may pick a pair up for my kids if they work ot for you.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yeah, I feel you BMWCCA. I'm more of a speaker person usually as well. I just saw that these were originally $200, and CNET gave them a good review, so I thought they would have phenomenal audio quality. They're okay at best. Even when plugged in (non-blue-tooth). As far as headphones go, I'll keep dreaming of the Shure SE530s. Unfortunately I can't return them because I just moved cross-country and got rid of everything non-essential (ie headphone packaging). They're just for night-time anyway. During the day I'm all about my B&W DM602s (S1) and my NHT Classic 3s, depending. But still again, thanks for reading!

...which may arguably be mid-fi (the speakers) but I love em.

I like a good circumaural headphone and found the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro to be pretty decent set of cans for around $80.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Cool Sony for me... MDR-7506, V6 & V7

MDR-V6 on right now listening to a 10.5" reel I found in a closet, no idea what the songs are, but it's well recorded @ 15ips, 1/2 track...

I tried a pair of wired JBL headphones a while back, little on-ear "noise-canceling" model, might have been 510? Junk. The noise-cancel did absolutely nothing, and the sound was only average. The cable was a joke as well.

Just picked up a pair of MDR-NC60 at a sale. These are real noise-canceling 'phones that I will use for the sound as well, although until they get broken-in I find myself switching to the V6's as the pressure on the ears is a bit much.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah, I'd have been really upset if I'd paid more than $40 for these (like the $200 supposed original price). Their sound quality really just isn't there. BMW, you said that this was JBL-branded consumer gear. Does that mean these aren't "real" JBL? I mean, they're not high quality, so I suppose not, but I just didn't know the demarcation. My first set of non-garbage speakers were Infinity Betas, and they were pretty nice, a little bright for me, put nice for the price.

Does that mean these aren't "real" JBL?
    Sad, isn't it, when a company trades on just their name. Altec-Lansing comes to mind these days. JBL Consumer is struggling to define what they are. They're also charged with hitting an ROI that makes shareholders happy. Hard to say definitively what "real" consumer JBL product is these days, but a lot of stuff sporting the JBL logo isn't really what those of here would call "real" JBL. Most here would put up the current Array series, Everest, K2, or new LS as some serious stuff in the old JBL tradition, but then you come across something like this:

What are you talking about?! That looks like a fine piece of equipment, made to satisfy the exacting record-mastering demands of fans of, say, the Jonas Brothers. No. That is funny. Or sad. Hmm....

Its all about the price point -
    Sub $200 gear is a completely different market than $2k, $5k, or $66k speaker systems ...
    But its a market thats worth going after ...

Young IT guys I work with have music on their phones and such, and say "I don't have a hifi system at home ..."
    Music doesn't have the same meaning to them - its just tunes ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

What are you talking about?! That looks like a fine piece of equipment, made to satisfy the exacting record-mastering demands of fans of, say, the Jonas Brothers. No. That is funny. Or sad. Hmm....
    I have to give credit where credit is due, and I really respect that you recognize the price point limits one can anticipate from inexpensively purchased gear. There are many who aren't that realistic...

"That is funny. Or sad. Hmm..."

Thread Information