Thread: Cabinet restore ?

Cabinet restore ?

I have a pair of L96s, and I would like to know what oil or product helps to restore the finish and keep it in good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I have a pair of L96s, and I would like to know what oil or product helps to restore the finish and keep it in good condition?
    I've used Watco Danish oil, Howard's Feed-N-Wax, and even lemon oil. They all work well. I recently stripped a pair of JBLs (sanded) and refinished them with just three coats of Watco. They look great. The official JBL recipe is here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ish/page02.jpg

The original owner of my L96s used lemon oil, I think, on them regularly and they look fine.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Used the Howard Restor-A-Finish liberally with 0000 steel wool, came out nice. You have to be careful when using it over raw deeper scratches as those scratches will suck up the pigments leaving them a darker shade. To avoid this to some extent should probably dab those deeper raw scratches with Watco Teac oil lessening their ability to absorb the Restor-A-Finishes' pigments. Came back later with the Feed & Wax and they took on a nice satin sheen.

The JBL recommended formula for maintaining the finish is 3 parts boiled linseed oil and 1 part gum turpentine.

Working on some 166 cabinets that aparently had a spill on the top which slightly roughed up the texture of the veneer and left those areas with a yellowish stain. I no nothing about wood finishes, but I wanted to do these myself. So I lightly sanded the cabinet tops with 150 emery cloth in the direction of the grain, got it smooth and uniform, came back with 000 steel wool to smooth further. Applied a light coat of neutral Tung oil finish and quickly buffed it off with a clean cloth so that the Howards restore a finish would not be overly absorbed which could allow its pigments to darken the surface a bit too much. Came back with another "coat" of Howards restore with a little tung oil with it, let that soak a half hour, buffed again with a clean rag. Finished with Howards Feed & Wax, and the cabinets look pretty good. Will be posting pics on these and the complete system I'm working on***

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Working on some 166 cabinets that aparently had a spill on the top which slightly roughed up the texture of the veneer and left those areas with a yellowish stain. I no nothing about wood finishes, but I wanted to do these myself. So I lightly sanded the cabinet tops with 150 emery cloth in the direction of the grain, got it smooth and uniform, came back with 000 steel wool to smooth further. Applied a light coat of neutral Tung oil finish and quickly buffed it off with a clean cloth so that the Howards restore a finish would not be overly absorbed which could allow its pigments to darken the surface a bit too much. Came back with another "coat" of Howards restore with a little tung oil with it, let that soak a half hour, buffed again with a clean rag. Finished with Howards Feed & Wax, and the cabinets look pretty good. Will be posting pics on these and the complete system I'm working on***
    Hey Midlife,

Got any of the pics ready yet? Was intrigued by your refinishing method and would love to see your results.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information