Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sales: Bose vs JBL

Wink No highs, no lows, must be Bo$e!!!!

I have listened to a number of Bo$e speaker systems over the years (not by my choice ether) several of the places have been churches. Bo$e has this marketing gimmick, Bo$e will install a speaker system for free and after 30 days if you don't like them Bo$e will take them out and you don't have to pay for them. Not many Churches will say take them out!
    I do sound for Catholic Youth Evangelist when we go into a Church we never use the house system, they are never good enough. This really surprises the Churches that have just gotten one of those Bo$e systems. But after I setup our system and just blow the Bo$e system away they seem to understand that they were taken!

I owned a pair of Altec VOTTs in the early 1970s and a friend had a pair of 901s that I listened to frequently.

I never liked the 901s.

To me, they sounded like 100 9V transistor radios playing a full volume.

I went to a Bose store last year and I was surprised that the 901s were still being sold. Anyway, the store had them set up improperly - against a wall. I asked if people use the 901s for 7 channel HT.

They said NO!

I do own a pair of Bose headphones that I won from American Airlines. - Total junk IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    Bo$e has this marketing gimmick, Bo$e will install a speaker system for free and after 30 days if you don't like them Bo$e will take them out and you don't have to pay for them. Not many Churches will say take them out!
    Like I said.....good marketing....play the odds.

I can't begin to tell you how many of our friends have Bose systems installed in their homes.....and the price's they paid...my God, what a rip. The funny thing is how much they like them. It just proves that in this part of the world high fidelity is not high on most peoples list.

They still prefer the "heard but not seen" aspect of a Bose and other systems.

I think Widget could have some interesting comments re that fact. It appears some will spend fortunes on amps and proc's but heaven forbid if a speaker is more than a grill cover on a wall or in the ceiling.

Most of our friends think Julie is a Saint for letting these beasts into our(her) living room.

Perhaps this accounts for Harmans "lack of interest" in really chasing the higher end consumer market. Its purely a numbers game. In this hemisphere, we are the few, not the many.

PS: Westlake would have dissapeared years ago without the Asian markets.

Ken

1st congrats to bose for 4.5 billion annual sales. bose is nothing more than gimmicks and cheap thrills!. But they had quite a few people bought into there bull shit scheme this is what real music should sound like from these very little speakers. bose is like a very cheap wine [wild Irish rose] it will get u drunk But U will pay for tomorrow! I turn 45 years old yesterday and I had own so many different brands of speakes until I boufht my first jbl in the early 80s the L112 , I never bought any other speaker but jbl from that point on. now I listen to other brands speaker just to see what they have to offer but I can honestlly say in 2009 jbl still hold there own with out tv commercials - bill borads and etc.

typical BOSE owner ?

At my last job I had a manager for whom I always had trouble hiding my contempt. -Hi Tony !!!- (in case he's learned to read by now) ...he was a no talent , ass kisser.

He did anything to please his superiors -oops let me clarify that ..his bosses -..
    (most everybody was superior to him)
    Anyway, he scored points by throwing the office Xmas party at his house every year..in our last year, he felt insecure and decided to "do it right" ..remodeled his basement, bought a new refrigerator for the room and bought his super BOSE system.
    Just days before the party his wife spotted a mouse running around the room ..OH NO !!! can't have his bosses seeing that, so he tried everything to catch it , except ...shooting it...bright idea !! goes and gets his 22 rifle and corners the rodent behind the fridge and takes a shot. hits compressor instead. No more handy cold drinks.

THREAD TIE IN : so he also installs his super ($1,600) Bose system ..a cube in every corner , hanging from the ceiling.

I get to the party and the tunes are already blaring , but I notice that the HF is even worse than expected, so I ask Tony for a chair and get up to inspect the cubes ... yup , you guessed it ..they were backwards, aimed straight into the wall .. I turn them around towards the room and it does sound better ..other guests applaud..get dirty looks from Tony.

FOLLOWUP: A week later we (including Tony) are sitting around work at break discussing TV . told the story that I was watching a game show and the question put to the contestant was "what is the 24th letter of the alphabet" ??? the contestant starts counting a=1,b=2,c=3 etc and the audience starts laughing, the guy gets it and then goes Oh, OK ...z=26,y=25 etc...

Tony is listening and jumps up and loudly proclaims "TRICK QUESTION" !!!!! ...I dont understand and ask him why ??

reply .. " cause there are only 23 letters in the alphabet"

we sit there stunned ...and then break out laughing ...dirty looks from Tony (again).

Guess who was first to get laid off when the reductions came ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.

Talking Do you have any more stories like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    At my last job I had a manager for whom I always had trouble hiding my contempt. -Hi Tony !!!- (in case he's learned to read by now) ...he was a no talent , ass kisser.

He did anything to please his superiors -oops let me clarify that ..his bosses -..(most everybody was superior to him)
    Anyway, he scored points by throwing the office Xmas party at his house every year..in our last year, he felt insecure and decided to "do it right" ..remodeled his basement, bought a new refrigerator for the room and bought his super BOSE system.
    Just days before the party his wife spotted a mouse running around the room ..OH NO !!! can't have his bosses seeing that, so he tried everything to catch it , except ...shooting it...bright idea !! goes and gets his 22 rifle and corners the rodent behind the fridge and takes a shot. hits compressor instead. No more handy cold drinks.

THREAD TIE IN : so he also installs his super ($1,600) Bose system ..a cube in every corner , hanging from the ceiling.

I get to the party and the tunes are already blaring , but I notice that the HF is even worse than expected, so I ask Tony for a chair and get up to inspect them ... yup , you guessed it ..they were backwards, aimed straight into the wall .. I turn them around towards the room and it does sound better ..other guests applaud..get dirty looks from Tony.

FOLLOWUP: A week later we (including Tony) are sitting around work at break discussing TV . told the story that I was watching a game show and the question put to the contestant was "what is the 24th letter of the alphabet" ??? the contestant starts counting a=1,b=2,c=3 etc and the audience starts laughing, the guy gets it and then goes Oh, OK ...z=26,y=25 etc...

Tony is listening and jumps up and loudly proclaims "TRICK QUESTION" !!!!! ...I dont understand and ask him why ??

reply .. " cause there are only 23 letters in the alphabet"

we sit there stunned ...and then break out laughing ...dirty looks from Tony (again).

Guess who was first to get laid off when the reductions came ??
    Yes this ROL . John

>>Do you have any more stories like this one?

unfortunately, it was true. , but no more Bose experiences , except that i did have some Bose 101's for a week , they were just OK, but Bose is a magic name on CL and they disappeared quickly.

or

Tony stories ? Oh, too many of those....

Behind his back we always referred to him as the "FM"
    no , cannot clarify- but your guess is prolly right (as in "Look at what some FM did")

he was the "Peter Principle" incarnate
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Seawolf, me and a few guys just read the story, you made our day, ROTFLMFAO!

scottyj

Forgot...Bose has an installation in one of Toronto's top venues.

The ACC (Air Canada Center) home of the Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs uses a Bose house system. This is a truely state of the art facility that has been featured on the Learning Channel. Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are one of the richest sports empires in the world.
    Bose® Panaray® LT system http://pro.bose.com/ProController?ur...y_lt/index.jsp
    Bose provides the installation for the complete venue, every bar, hallway, practice facility, nook and cranny.
    The system works fine and completely cuts the gig.

GM Place in Vancouver also uses a Bose system.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    The ACC (Air Canada Center) home of the Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs uses a Bose house system. This is a truely state of the art facility that has been featured on the Learning Channel. Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are one of the richest sports empires in the world.
    Bose® Panaray® LT system http://pro.bose.com/ProController?ur...y_lt/index.jsp
    Bose provides the installation for the complete venue, every bar, hallway, practice facility, nook and cranny.
    The system works fine and completely cuts the gig.

GM Place in Vancouver also uses a Bose system.
    Yup, I would have to agree. I have installed bose sytems and worked on many that were installed by muppets. I have never had an issue with them. A bit overpriced maybe but has everyone seen the prive of a D66000? Worth every cent I guess...... Everyone need to remember that to to "Audiophile" guys with there wooden blocks and porcelain insulators, JBL does not deserve to be in the same room with their systems. I have spoken to a lot of people with Bose systems and they all love them. Most people don't want a truckload of gear cluttering up their houses. To look at it with a differnet perspective: Are Bose better than JBL? Yes, just look at the sales figures. Are Toyota's better tha Ferrari's? Of course they are. Ferrari make 5000 cars a year, Toyota has to be better. People that drive Ferrari's dont care about Toyota's so why would top end JBL owners care about Bose? Small mans disease maybe?

Allan.

this reminds me of a story dad has told me a few times over the years.....

a friend of his was bragging about the "great sound" of his new bose system, and how small it was, etc etc.....dad suggested "bring it over and we'll compare them to the 604's". the friend happily agreed.

during the time in-between the friend fabricated a switch box so they could quickly A-B the two speakers.....

the day came, they set the bose on top of the Altec's.....the BOSE were up first.....

the friend was smiling and nodding to my father......dad then said "shall we throw the switch?"

and the friends jaw hit the floor.

after a few seconds, the friend said......"i sure wasted a lot of time building that A-B switch"
    Frederick

And still people can't compare apples to apples. I am waiting for someone to compare a bose system to a vertec array! I guess you will need to convince a whole lot of peolpe that they purchased the wrong gear......

Allan.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    That'll be the next thing: Bose making line arrays. Or do they already?

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    That'll be the next thing: Bose making line arrays. Or do they already?
    Slimfast version of 901:
    4 + 1 speakers.

Thread Information