Thread: Blue-Ray Disc - any advantages for audio?

Blue-Ray Disc - any advantages for audio?

In stores i see more and more Blue-Ray Discs.
    Do they have any advantages for audio purposes compared to SACD or DVD-A?

Blu-ray can be as good as those formats, but there is no guarantee... a few discs have lossless 24 bit 192KHz which is right up there at the state of the art but then many have 16 bit 48KHz which is no better than a standard CD.

The only advantage I can think of is the fact that they are available and those other formats are dying.

Widget

Such is the downside of digital media - it is quickly replaced by something newer, faster/larger and better.
    Both DVD-A and SACD addressed just about all of the sonic shortcomings of the redbook CD, but fell flat from a sales perspective.

I don't doubt some really good recordings will be made available on Blue-Ray, but that format will die off within a short period too.

I wish they would just make high quality digital downloads a reality and skip the "married to the format" handcuffs.....

My $.02 and why I won't invest in BlueRay for audio...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Such is the downside of digital media - it is quickly replaced by something newer, faster/larger and better.
    Both DVD-A and SACD addressed just about all of the sonic shortcomings of the redbook CD, but fell flat from a sales perspective.

I don't doubt some really good recordings will be made available on Blue-Ray, but that format will die off within a short period too.

I wish they would just make high quality digital downloads a reality and skip the "married to the format" handcuffs.....

jblnut
    Unlike the humble CD that has been around now for a long time, nearly 30 years on the domestic market, Blueray was superseeded before it even hit the market. I think Blueray was a money grabbing exercise by the manfacturers and has only got about 2-3 years before everyone will have to change formats once more. Technology wise, blueray is not much different to standard CD's. The next technology has no moving parts and will store you whole music collection on one peice. They labs started testing this method about 10 years ago!

Allan.

I would have to say the only noticable improvement the BR format has over earlier formats is the sound quality.

There is not much except new movies on BR that I am aware of, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    The next technology has no moving parts and will store you whole music collection on one peice.
    It sounds reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ... the only noticable improvement the BR format has over earlier formats is the sound quality.
    If I understand Widget right than this is no argument. It will depend on the player, best to be dropped (solid state).

My BR plays all earlier formats (CD, DVD, etc.) and was reasonably priced so there is no real reason to avoid these, I suppose.

I've read good reviews on the Neil Young catalog thats being released on Bluray, but I won't know anytime soon - sheesh - $270 for 10 discs ...!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've read good reviews on the Neil Young catalog thats being released on Bluray, ...
    Neil Young has never been an artist who enthused me very much, but I have followed in this forum many suggestions for American musicians and I enjoy them.
    I will skip BR I suppose, my DVD player does the rest, I will tweak it a little bit.
    Thank you for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Neil Young has never been an artist who enthused me very much, but I have followed in this forum many suggestions for American musicians and I enjoy them.
    I will skip BR I suppose, my DVD player does the rest, I will tweak it a little bit.
    Thank you for the input.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    In stores i see more and more Blue-Ray Discs.
    Do they have any advantages for audio purposes compared to SACD or DVD-A?
    I recently bought a Sony Blu Ray player and I am impressed with the quality of BluRay discs and upconverted DVDs but it won't play DTS discs worth a shit and I've hooked my old Sony DVDP back into the system just for music.

Bob W

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Blu-ray can be as good as those formats, but there is no guarantee... a few discs have lossless 24 bit 192KHz which is right up there at the state of the art but then many have 16 bit 48KHz which is no better than a standard CD.

The only advantage I can think of is the fact that they are available and those other formats are dying.

Widget
    What due to lack of consumer support? After all it’s the consumer that pays to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've read good reviews on the Neil Young catalog thats being released on Bluray, but I won't know anytime soon - sheesh - $270 for 10 discs ...!
    Whoa rip off that’s like $£27 for each disc! Who do they think there kidding this inst the laserdisc market!

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post

jblnut
    And how long will it take to get the download a few minutes or 15 hours! By which time I could have gotten on bus travailed down town brought the disc and travailed back within 90 minutes and yet it may only cost what its been flogged off at.

HMV live in dreamland with there silly prices! ASDA not so badly priced!

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    My BR plays all earlier formats (CD, DVD, etc.) and was reasonably priced so there is no real reason to avoid these, I suppose.
    Just like most consumer electronic products over the years/decades was once costly then the prices started to steadily to come down followed by other manufactures producing the product at a competitive price so everyone can afford and enjoy.

Blu-ray is cheap as chips now I mean I can go to Richer Sounds and pick one up for less than £200.00 pounds or less than £150.00 hold on tick back in a jiffy…

Current list of pricing for blu-ray players
    http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/blu-ray

Poor ole Super-VHS wasn’t given much support with its higher picture line resolution and wasn’t too long before it was on the top of the heap. Then it kinder got makeover with that thing called D-VHS with Dolby digital. It wasn’t long after it came out that and it did a vanishing act faster than Beta-Max HD-DVD.

Manly because I think the format was the same selling cost as laserdisc and at the end of the day we want something that can be played over and over till we’re blu in the face with it, not have it ware down or yikes get chewed up in the machine because the tape got wound around the head drum a dozen times and the pet dog crewed on the rest of the type while trying to retract it from the player.

HD-DVD died from an Horrendous Dreadful Dead Video Disc, death. and I was rotting for it since we aleardy had DVD and the next logical step is like a mark IV version of higher grade format but something cold came along in the form of a blu/e colour. Blue is cold and unwelcoming colour didn't you know that? Its not red and red is nice warm pleasing colour.

Thread Information