Thread: Music Instinct: Science & Song

Music Instinct: Science & Song

Did anyone else catch this on their PBS stations, I only caught the the second half of it but it was very very interesting. I'm sure it will be aired again.

It seems like we are all wired to enjoy music from birth, is it any wonder we are all here on this forum, its all quite natural really

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/musicinstinct/

"Music Instinct: Science and Song

New work in neuroscience is giving us clues to the mysteries of how and why music penetrates the brain and the emotions. The program follows visionary researchers and accomplished musicians to the crossroads of science and culture in search of answers to music's deep mysteries. The program includes compelling performances by world-famous musicians in genres from rock to classical, including Bobby McFerrin, Yo-Yo Ma, Jarvis Cocker, Richard Hawley, and Evelyn..."
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Did anyone else catch this on their PBS stations, I only caught the the second half of it but it was very very interesting. I'm sure it will be aired again.

It seems like we are all wired to enjoy music from birth, is it any wonder we are all here on this forum, its all quite natural really

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/musicinstinct/

"Music Instinct: Science and Song

New work in neuroscience is giving us clues to the mysteries of how and why music penetrates the brain and the emotions. The program follows visionary researchers and accomplished musicians to the crossroads of science and culture in search of answers to music's deep mysteries. The program includes compelling performances by world-famous musicians in genres from rock to classical, including Bobby McFerrin, Yo-Yo Ma, Jarvis Cocker, Richard Hawley, and Evelyn..."
    It's on my TiVo, I only got to watch the first half. Very interesting so far.

je

JE

You watched the first part I saw the second, between the two of us we got the entire show I know 13 over here is rebroadcasting it a few more times so I am looking forward to seeing the whole thing. There are a lot of topics that they talk about in it that many of us are familiar with and some of the more esoteric stuff we probably suspected as much.

I think anyone who likes music would find the whole thing interesting.
    I dont know if you caught the part about the surgeon who was struck by lightning :shock: & afterwards had a strong desire to not only hear piano music but also compose it, prior to that he was not into music so far as he could remember. A lot of complicated stuff going on up there in the gray matter region when music is involved.

Good stuff!
    Just Play Music.

Thanks guys! Sounds really cool!
    I just checked it on TIVO.com and found its a 2 hour show!
    Anyway, its on WETA right NOW - 4-6PM, and its showing on Md Public TV 8-10PM tonight in HD!
    Got it set to record in HD - and thanks a LOT!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather!

Hope you like it, let us know what you think of it after you've seen it.
    I've got it set to record the next time it airs.
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information