Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Sales: Bose vs JBL

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Bravo Seawolf - I'm with you 100% on this - who CARES anything about Bose ...???
    Ole 4645 really has "issues" with them. Makes me wonder.

These is probably one of the lamest threads I have ever seen. Well there is one lamer that has a common denominater.

I was mulling why the Bose phenom bugs JBL guys so much , and then BANG !! ..the answer came..

Back about 15 years ago I worked at OHSU ..we had a "buy program" to wholesale PC's and Macs to the faculty and students. I had to man it an hour a week.....So one day an MD came in and says "I dont want to learn ANYTHING about computers , sell me a Mac" (no, dont use this as an excuse for a Mac vs PC rant) ....well, he wanted a turnkey system and his total knowledge was based on advirtising.

I sumise thats why Bose is despised ...it is a heavily advirtised turnkey system for the person who does NOT want any involvement with the hardware , only an end result , and that turns out to be sucessful for them.
    (and WE assess the hardware to be mediocre)

rather a diametrical opposite of a fanatical JBL enthusiast.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I sumise thats why Bose is despised ...it is a heavily advirtised turnkey system for the person who does NOT want any involvement with the hardware , only an end result , and that turns out to be sucessful for them.
    That would be the audio equivalent to the automotive Saturn marque. The Hyundai buyer knows they're buying on price alone. The Saturn buyer just doesn't enjoy driving and doesn't want to be involved in any aspect of it. IMHO, of course.

Uhg. Wave Radio ad just came on the telly while I was typing. "Anything else just doesn't measure up."
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I don't understand why we (the LHF forum) are concerned about Bose sales ??

as a BMW , Toyota & Ford owner, I'm not really concerned with Hyundai sales....
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That would be the audio equivalent to the automotive Saturn marque.
    The Hyundai buyer knows they're buying on price alone. The Saturn buyer just doesn't enjoy driving
    and doesn't want to be involved in any aspect of it. IMHO, of course.
    Yeah, and Roger Penske is buying Saturn - isn't THAT a hoot!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yeah, and Roger Penske is buying Saturn - isn't THAT a hoot!
    It'll fit well with his rent-a-truck fleet.

Remember back in the '70s when Road & Track used to run headline-grabbing stories on their covers that were really a bit of a spoof? "Road Test: New Mercedes GT!" turned out to be an actual instrumented road test of a Mercedes Garbage Truck. That was back in the day when the also made the claim that the biggest difference between M-B engineer and BMW engineers was that M-B engineers wore suspenders and BMW engineers wore belts.

Not that Penske, the corporation, doesn't know good value. They do, after all, own over 300 auto dealerships in both the USA and Europe with nearly an equal split between the two. Penske is the largest retailer of Toyota cars and operates the world's largest car dealership, a Toyota store, which has sold more than 20,000 Toyotas in a recent year. According the Wikapedia the Toyota Lexus store in California sells a car every eight minutes. Penske's franchises include not only Saturn and Toyota but BMW, Hummer, Bugatti, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, and nearly any manufacturer of cars you can name.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Sure - I suspect its an economies of scale thing, but I don't even keep up with such things and I know of at least 2 "mega-dealers" around DC that own probably 40-50 dealers each - I'm sure there are many more ...

Maybe someone else will buy other ailing brands ...

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It'll fit well with his rent-a-truck fleet.

Remember back in the '70s when Road & Track used to run headline-grabbing stories on their covers that were really a bit of a spoof? "Road Test: New Mercedes GT!" turned out to be an actual instrumented road test of a Mercedes Garbage Truck. That was back in the day when the also made the claim that the biggest difference between M-B engineer and BMW engineers was that M-B engineers wore suspenders and BMW engineers wore belts.

Not that Penske, the corporation, doesn't know good value. They do, after all, own over 300 auto dealerships in both the USA and Europe with nearly an equal split between the two. Penske is the largest retailer of Toyota cars and operates the world's largest car dealership, a Toyota store, which has sold more than 20,000 Toyotas in a recent year. According the Wikapedia the Toyota Lexus store in California sells a car every eight minutes. Penske's franchises include not only Saturn and Toyota but BMW, Hummer, Bugatti, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, and nearly any manufacturer of cars you can name.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I have 901 (#2) at home and also have some Acoustimass 5's in my shop. Now I don't rate the AM5's at all, they are just convenient in the shop.
    The 901's have their limitations as well.
    Anyway I had the AM5's at home the other day and thought why not try them with the 901's, off my pre-amp's second output.
    Wow what an amazing transformation! The weaknesses of both are gone and the result is extraordinary.
    Why didn't Bose think of that?
    Beats my JBL's hands down, sorry.
    Ahh I can feel the flames already!

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    No, it is we who should feel sorry for you.

So . . . Sorry! Now you can go back to your green eggs and ham.

in my JBL HLS820's
    I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat...

I have 901 (#2) at home and also have some Acoustimass 5's in my shop. Now I don't rate the AM5's at all, they are just convenient in the shop.
    The 901's have their limitations as well.
    Anyway I had the AM5's at home the other day and thought why not try them with the 901's, off my pre-amp's second output.
    Wow what an amazing transformation! The weaknesses of both are gone and the result is extraordinary.
    Why didn't Bose think of that?
    Ahh I can feel the flames already!
    Another Kiwi!!

I have used Bose over the years and have never had an issue with them. However, I am not a big fan on blanket statements. If you are close to Christchurch you could pop around and listen to my "vintage" JBL system. There isnt a Bose system on the planet that would touch it, of that I am sure. Most of the people here are into the top end JBL gear weather it be vintage or new. Most people never get to experience top end JBL and those who have are on this forum. But for a family situation where space is always at a premium, Bose is a very sensible way to go. Me, like most of the esteemed forumites here, are not really that sensible.

Allan.

Just wait while i turn over, the other side needs toasting too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Unless it's a Tivoli which is Bose for "audiophiles".

Another company that's Bose for audiophiles is Magnepan. Rube Goldburg contraptions made of refrigerator magnets and fibreboard; single ended with attendant distortion and a shrill high frequency resonance that passes as detail. Can also be seen as a Klipsch Heresy for the "high end" crowd.

I'd much rather listen to Bose than a Maggie; I never heard a Bose that made my teeth ache. Hell, there are many so-called "audiophile" speakers that cost more and sound worse than Bose, I don't know why Bose is so often the one called on the carpet for giving poor value.
    I hear ya Tom. The funny thing is, it's even worse on the K forums, man they sure do gang slam Bose over there. The 301 doesn't sound all that bad, is that Heresy in here?lol

RIGGED

I think we should start a whole thread on Bose speakers. We can call this the Bose-lansing-Heritage web site?

Quote Originally Posted by RIGGED View Post
    The 301 doesn't sound all that bad....
    RIGGED
    Really? I have a pair stashed [way, way, way] in the back of my closet - I'm not proud, but sh%t happens.

Hell, if you really like 'em, $50 plus shipping takes them, and they have VERY low hours on them

Thread Information