Greetings, Friends,

Another thread mentioned the advances made by JBL, shown in their 1400 Array system, compared to my earlier "dinosaur" of a JBL, the L300. I wonder if any good stereo store in So.CA might offer that 1400 system, so that I can go and listen to it for myself? For that matter, do we even HAVE any "good stereo stores" in So. CA??!! I really don't know, to tell you the truth!!

I did check them out online, and find that a pair of the 1400's retail for close to $12,000, which is a huge chunk of change for Sweet Bride and me. Also, neither of us is too crazy about the way the 1400's look. Sweet Bride said, when I showed her a photo of them on the 'net, "They look like bottles of beer"! I cracked up!!

In any case, and visual asthetics not withstanding, I'd love to hear a pair, sometime, to see what we're "missing". I fully expect the 1400's to be simply outstanding. But, their extended top end, of 40KHZ will most certainly be wasted on me, as my hearing will not be able to keep up. I also note that the bottom end of the 1400's is just about the same as that of our L300's, at 32HZ -3db. I'm sure that the 1400 has a tighter and more accurate bass, and well it should. But, our L300's sound "right" to me, on the bottom end, without "boom", after all my years of listening to a bass player standing right next to me. Words like "normal" and "natural" come to my mind, when listening to the bass from our L300's. I wonder if I will hear something even MORE "normal" and "natural" through the 1400's?? That would be something special, indeed, and I'd love to hear them!! Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions on how I could make that happen.

Until then, we'll just keep limping along with our L300's! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc