Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: letīs talk about Preamps!

Telephones are 600 ohm balanced and it's why a mile or more of unshielded wire often running through electrically noisy environments can produce a fairly noiseless audio signal. If not in hi-fi terms, more than adequate for speech.

John

Hi Figge!

I think You are right in looking for vintage stuff since You want a good riaa. New preamps often have poor perfomance riaa's or lack them all together. The first question how ever is how much you are going to spend. I'm very satisfied with my new Luxman C-3, but it cost me 1700 euro. Luxman always has been known (with a few exceptions) to do nice riaa's so what was wrong with your old one? Sounded it bad or have you been infected with the upgrade-worm?

Check out what goes in Japan. Vinyl has been and still is, a big thing over there.

Regards

Figge
    yes i probably got that worm u mentioned! i dont want to spend 1700 euro but maybe 2 - 300, could go for one at 400 too but then its gotta be good. sold the luxman because...ehhm. dunno really! guess i thought it was too big to use as a pre-amp. and that interM REF-2300 "korea toy" did in fact sound more open than the luxman so i wanted to use that instead. gonna change the interm too. im thinking about some of the jbl amps! i guess they are fair price and good performance. (so iīve been told). well any suggestions on pre amp?. i found a crown psl-2 in an add, but 500€ is just too much.

Figge

I have two Crown IC-150A pre amps. I might be coerced into parting with one. PM me if interested!

Figge
    tnx scott! u got PM

Figge
    does anyone have any experience with the pioneer exclusive C-3 pre-amp. probably early/mid 70:s. i have a shot at one of those..

Figge
    anybody has any experience with yamaha C-4, or pioneer exclusive c-3???

Norbert

Yamaha Preamps

... better look for a Yamaha C-2a, great linestage and excellent phono stage including MC head amp.

Regards,

Norbert

Figge
    shit i really gotta find a preamp... sold the cheesy inkel mixer...now i use a kenwood taperecorder with plastic front alá 1983!. cd plugged to line in, and line out to the state of the korean art (interM) amp! a tape in the slot and press rec! and bingo u have a volume control for the amp! aint gonna reveal how it sounds, use ur imaginations! guess u could say im hearing some weakness from the gear thru my 4430:s

i do have my eyes on hofīs sony tough...
    Last edited by Figge; 07-06-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information