Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: letīs talk about Preamps!

Figge

letīs talk about Preamps!

hellu! iīve sold my luxman now and im looking to get hold of a good pre amp. anybody have any suggestions? whats dynaco PAT-4? or maybe a gas thoebe? or would a usual dj mixer do the work?

Tom Loizeaux
    What do you want the preamp to do? What functions do you need and how transparent do you need it to be?
    I bought an old Crown PSL-2 preamp because of the tone controls and loudness options... but wind up leaving the EQ in the bypass mode! I use it as a switching center.

Tom

Widget's got a really nice Adcom 750 something or other. Full of winkie features, fully balanced. Full priced, too...

Adcom GFP-750
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge
    i want it to sound good! have a cd & vinyl thats all. i hardly ever use the tonecontrols on my amps. best of all if there is no tonecontrols. so what i want is something that has a fine sound & good riia.

best regards
    Last edited by Figge; 06-02-2004 at 11:25 AM.

Figge
    that adcom shure looked nice! bo...but the price . i want some goodole vintage stuff. there is that pat-4 4sale nereby so just wondering if it is something to put money into. what u use bo?
    Last edited by Figge; 06-02-2004 at 11:33 AM.

Crown

Find a Crown IC-150 or PSL-2, and be happy. Both preamps are clean sounding, and last forever!

If you want a more vintage type of sound than go with the IC-150. Both the straight line and IC pre amps have defeatable tone controls!

Search for these on Ebay!

Figge
    i searced for PSL-2 and my god its beutiful! i think thats exactly what im lookiīn for. found something else too! crown macro reference. i mean holy shit what an amp! anybody heard it? 750W @ 8 ohm dampingfactor 20000? unbelieveble!

Macro-Reference

Its a good sounding amp, for bass! very tight, very high resolution, and very clean! Lots of power too! These amps were voiced for studio and reference use, so what you put in is what you get out!

These are and were very expensive, so IF you can get one for a good price thats in great condition, its a good bass amp to have! I have also heard this amp play full range, and its clean, just not my favorite sound for midrange! it will work though!

Last edited by scott fitlin; 06-02-2004 at 03:07 PM.

If you don't mind vintage I have a Technics SU-A6 from their R+B series. Very nice MM,MC can adjust for cartridge sensitivity, can go no tone or with and has a great set of tone controls with selectable hinge points. Use it in my stereo set -up with my XPL's.

Rob

Ski
    Forget the PAT-4. I had one and recently got rid of it for about $45.00.

It was very capable, but not very musical.

Figge
    Originally posted by Ski
    Forget the PAT-4

Hi ski!
    and tnx. iīve allready forgotten . i just saw the add & i need a preamp so i thought....well thx again for the warning.

Íf you can use a soldering iron there are some nice Passlabs preamps at diyaudio.com, and passdiy.com, they have balanced outputs for your Amcron. Easy to put together , pcbs available

I've said it before but these relatively hi voltage hi class A mosfet preamps dowse the commercial chip stuff brigade in every department.

Ian

Figge
    tnx for all advise! and whats the difference between balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs?

Hi,

This was covered by Bo and other members in another thread recent, just do a search to understand how it works

In very basic terms its a system adopted in Pro audio for distribution of audio signals between equipment, often over long distances. ie mixers, pa racks etc

There are advantages in terms of noise and common termination, the dynamic headroom of the balancd line is also considerably higher than your RCA pre amp output.

If you are using multiple amplifers and other equipment, the balanced line helps avoid ground loops which otherwise degrade the signal to noise ratio.

Some say balanced signal paths are superior for audio quality reasons, while some equipment has provision for both balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs so as to be compatible with pro audio and consumer audio equipment.

Ian

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by Figge
    tnx for all advise! and whats the difference between balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs?
    Basically, balanced means you take the two "signal" circuits, (+ and -), and run them inside a grounded "shield" circuit, which may be optionally connected to ground at only one end or the other to deal with ground loops, though most often both ends of the run are grounded. The most common type of connectors used for this are 3 pin "XLR" connectors. Industry standard is pin 2=positive, pin 3=negative, and pin 1= ground. Be aware though that many still use pin 3=positive - you want to be sure to get all your + going the same way.

An unbalanced system will only have one "positive" circuit, with "negative" being the same as the ground shield circuit, so there are only 2 electrical paths and not the 3 that the separate shield gives you.

John
    Last edited by johnaec; 06-08-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Thread Information