Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1,000,000.00 in Four Weeks

$1,000,000.00 in Four Weeks

Congratuations to GT and all who were involved.

Quote: "Our consumer division continues to leverage a strong brand recognition with alliance and partnerships. The JBL luxury speaker Project K2 was launched in February achieving more than $1 million in a short period of four weeks. It was featured in the cover of Japan's most prestigious audio magazine."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1341...t?source=yahoo

That's 22 pairs of K2s, for reference. No wonder all the questions were about the automotive OE market. I wonder what the return-on-investment break-even point is for $45,000 speakers selling at the rate of 22 per month?

For comparison, BMW sold over 80,000 vehicles world-wide in February 2009 even in a down economy. Many of those were equipped with JBL/Harman audio systems. BMW is selling roughly a thousand new 7-series cars each month in the USA despite the down economy and the $85,000 base price. Most of those will have the JBL/Harman Premium Sound system in them. And yet JBL won't offer their best home-audio speakers here?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

BMW here in Canada say they're busy as ever.

I found it interesting that 70% of Harman's business is automotive related. I had no idea it was that much.

JBL 4645
    Excuse me, if I sound a little lost here guys. You saying the project K2 was at cost of $1 million dollars to produce and in timeframe of 4 weeks?

So what does the production cost of other JBL speakers cost?

I took the quote to mean the company sold $1M in product within four weeks of its introduction to the marketplace. :dont-know
    That's 22 systems.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    BMW here in Canada say they're busy as ever.

I found it interesting that 70% of Harman's business is automotive related. I had no idea it was that much.
    Most car audio, car stereo, or auto sound threads here peter out at 20 or less posts. Johnaec and I have broached the subject from time as an important part of the Lansing heritage, but it never sticks. Toddalin posts about car gear in home use, but I'm talking about car gear used in vehicles.

Not only is it a big part of the company's revenue, but it's a place where its reputation is top tier. The GTi Series, with its $4000, 6000W amps; with its $2000 component packages, with tweeter waveguides, dedicated Array-class crossovers, and Kevlar mids; and with its $700 best in class subs, is every bit the K2 of automotive sound.

Congratulations are due the new K2 team for a successful launch of a great product, but the auto sound guys are making the real money.
    Out.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i used to know guys that would totally revamp their car audio system every year or two....

new head unit, xovers, drivers, cabinets
    complete custom jobs...

car audio is BIG BUCKS, and has been for quite awhile.....

although Denver does seem to have many less "BOOM mobiles"
    than the New Orleans area used to have when i was in HS...

BTW, it's the K2 S9900 that raked in the million bucks.

http://www.harman.com/press/pdf/Q3-2009ERSlide.pdf
    Out.

RIP 2009
    The exact quote from Ti-Dome's Harman link:

JBL Project K2 S9900 luxury speakers launched, with more than $1 million in orders during the first month of release

John

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    BTW, it's the K2 S9900 that raked in the million bucks.
    Eggs zacherly. About $45,000/pair. That's about 22 pair sold, or rather on order.

Mike Ronesia
    Interesting read, like most company's now days cut expenses and jobs to meet those share holder expectations. Doesn't look like they plan to tapper off any time soon either. Lets hope they keep funding the JBL R&D guys and maybe make a marketing change on the Consumer products in the States. Looks like Consumer products are strong in Europe where they're marketed better and the auto division is paying the bills. It's interesting that the PRO stuff is not as popular in Europe.

a million in orders is alot more pairs than a million sold to consumers

at least 30% or more

i wonder what the projection for such a project

somebody know how many k2 s9800 where manufactured since their launch

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    Interesting read, like most company's now days cut expenses and jobs to meet those share holder expectations.
    Yep, JBL Consumer just lost a bunch of legacy talent this past quarter. That talent will never be recovered.
    Last edited by 4313B; 05-11-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: removed potentially inflammatory paragraphs

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yep, JBL Consumer just lost a bunch of legacy talent this past quarter. That talent will never be recovered. Quite frankly, it's downright pathetic.

What? Who went?

Not some of the major people i hope, like Greg and Jerry...........

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Obsolete
    Co-workers of many years, rightfully regarded as irreplaceable.
    Last edited by 4313B; 05-11-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: removed potentially inflammatory paragraphs

Thread Information