Thread: New(used) L46 and L56 -so sweet the sound. . .

HiFiCollector

New(used) L46 and L56 -so sweet the sound. . .

Just picked up two pair of classic, circa 1982 JBLs. L46 and L56. More photos and my full write-up can be found HERE. The L46 are the perfect size for a bedroom or den and sound very well-balanced and not as colored as most JBLs I'm used to. Anyone else have opinions on this series?

The L56 has a different XO point, and suffers more from the "MF hole" than the L46 does. Also because of the XO, the tweeter in the L56 is a bit over-worked, resulting in a tad more distortion. The smaller woofer in the L46 reproduces those MF sounds a bit cleaner. If I had to choose, the L46 would be the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiCollector View Post
    Just picked up two pair of classic, circa 1982 JBLs. L46 and L56. More photos and my full write-up can be found HERE. The L46 are the perfect size for a bedroom or den and sound very well-balanced and not as colored as most JBLs I'm used to. Anyone else have opinions on this series?

Check the woofers' rubber surrounds, they may look OK but be out-of-round and drying out. I used Rick Cobb's foam replacements on 6 L46s with very good results.

Do a simple site search here, there are a few threads devoted to these speakers already.

Just curious - do you make money on hits to your site? Every post you have here and almost every post I've seen of yours on AK has a link to your site.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Just curious - do you make money on hits to your site? Every post you have here and almost every post I've seen of yours on AK has a link to your site.
    What? The Google ads, the promo video, and the Audio Accessory Store link that connects directly to Amazon.com weren't clear enough for you, Fred??
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

HiFiCollector

Monetary gain

I made 46 cents last week from Google AdSense. No money at all from any of the Amazon links. Watching the site grow organically through Google hits is exciting. I obviously enjoy vintage audio, and want my site to be useful. Monetizing is an afterthought. I have a day job

Thread Information