Thread: WOW !! correct phono settings magic

Talking WOW !! correct phono settings magic

OK..sometimes I'm a little slow and dont always get it right first time, BUT I do stay after it and eventually things get to their performancer zenith..

have been re-enjoying vinyl for about a year now...before getting separates, the phono gets plugged into the right jack, tf & as get set and thats it. (pretty much what I'd done with the Apt/Holman preamp - still on defaults) .... So today I run across the manual again and there is a supplement called "PHONO INPUT IMPEDIANCE MATCHING" ..sounds like a fun read, so I give it a go...

well, you go to the tables of tone arm and cable capacitance ..then note your values..then go to the tables of cartridge load requirements ( load resistance in ohms & load capacitance in pF) note values ,,do a little math and set into the preamp...

WOW !!! what a difference !! I thot it all sounded fine before , but now....I put on the same vinyl that I'm used to and it sounds waayyy better....the missing bass has returned...I bypassed the EQ and turned off tone controls and it sounded great !!
    Deeper bass , crisp highs and the mids just right..

If any of you have an Apt or similar preamp but dont have access to the value tables, give me a PM and can look them up ..really made a BIG difference.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Ok ....with the acquisition of the B&O 4002 , I now have 2 tt's hooked up to the Holman preamp ...the B&O is more convenient as its up topside and in the open...and getting the most use.

To run the PL-530 with the Shure V-15 ..the pre had to be set at 500 (impedance) additional...never been picky about which tt was plugged into PHONO 1 or 2 , but the B&O only takes a setting of 50 (normal) ..it had been running on the input set at 500...

So ....2 tt's with different requirements on the same preamp.

Got out the book again and found that the imp setting ONLY apply to phono 1 , #2 stays standard...no matter what.

The B&O settings are much closer to normal, so switched the inputs -- 1>2 & 2 > 1 .

Everything is now correct and both tt's are at their optimum and co-existing
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information