Thread: Quick re-foam question, if I may?

Quick re-foam question, if I may?

I've been buying up some used Control 5 speakers for future use in a home theater I'm going to build this Summer. Two of them have already arrived and require refoaming. Thanks to boputnam and his re-surround DIY thread, I'm tackling it myself. Ordered a kit from rcobb and am getting down to work.

Here's my little dilemma: The new surrounds extend all the way out to the edge of the spider. The old surrounds didn't lap over as far and had 1/8"-thick cardboard ring segments all the way around. Will I need to trim the foam surrounds and install the old cardboard, or can I just glue them all the way out to the edge and ditch the cardboard pieces?

Not glued up yet:

TIA!!!

Ed
    Last edited by Superreverb; 05-04-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Bad, bad grammar....

Just a general comment/observation, on other speakers I've seen, the 'gasket' (eg, those cardboard pieces) are glued on top of the foam...

Read the Rick Cobb directions - you want to peel those 4 cardboard "arcs" off the top of the old surround, clean the back of them with the edge of a razor knife or something, and clean the metal speaker frame as well. The new surround glues to the back of the speaker cone, tack that down good. Then you play the test tone on the CD, and when it sound good with no rustle or buzzing you can glue the outer surround down to the metal frame. THEN glue the cardbaord arcs back down on top of that.

Really, read the directions carefully before you proceed - the results are worth it ..

Quote Originally Posted by Superreverb View Post
    I've been buying up some used Control 5 speakers for future use in a home theater I'm going to build this Summer. Two of them have already arrived and require refoaming. Thanks to boputnam and his re-surround DIY thread, I'm tackling it myself. Ordered a kit from rcobb and am getting down to work.

Here's my little dilemma: The new surrounds extend all the way out to the edge of the spider. The old surrounds didn't lap over as far and had 1/8"-thick cardboard ring segments all the way around. Will I need to trim the foam surrounds and install the old cardboard, or can I just glue them all the way out to the edge and ditch the cardboard pieces?

Not glued up yet:

TIA!!!

Ed
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information