Thread: Looking for info on Latest Find...

Looking for info on Latest Find...

I wasn't sure if I should start a thread or if I should post in the serial number registry. So I just flipped a coin If I should post there I will too. I am a member of the audiokaram forum, so I was told a lot there. Guess I am just curious what information you guy's can give me and possible years. I found these speakers with a huge 8 foot console at an estate sale this weekend. Console had solid state stuff in it, I gave 125$ for it. One speaker hasn't been touched the other has been pieced together. I would like to replace the altec horn, 075 and bozak with the N1200 and 1217. I not sure when that will happen seeing that I don't have the extra $$ and I hate to sell them before I have the stuff to replace them with.

1st cabinet

Cross over-Jim Lansing Model N1200-serial 4866

Horn and Driver-Jim Lansing 1217-1290 and Jim Lansing model 175-serial 7080 and 48?8

Woofer-James Lansing model 130A-serial 14850
    I couldn't remove it unless I wanted to remove the cloth

2nd Cabinet

Crossover-Bozak Juality

Tweeter-Jim Lansing Model 075-serial 2878 8's could be 3's-its dead
    This guy fell out of the horn when I removed it.

Horn and Driver-Altec H-811 and Altec model 302 or 802 b or C tag is worn.

Woofer-James Lansing Model D130-serial 504169

I also found this altec in a jensen cabinet about a month ago. altec 603-b serial 6026 got this for a 100$ and it came with the tube amp and tuner.

BROCKWOOD
    It's all way cool I'm lovin that chickenhead knob the most though. I
    got into collecting them (the knobs) when I started collecting vintage
    basses & retiring old power plant equipment. My speakers are for my
    shows but yours are for show n tell. Cool stuff ya got there! Thanks for
    showin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post

Cross over-Jim Lansing Model N1200-serial 4866

Cooljjay, that is some great looking equipment. The Altec gray 811 horn and wrinkle finish driver are roughly 1955 vintage. That's got to be the earliest version of the two piece welded 811. The driver could be an 802B or very early 802C, probably a C if it is original to the horn. The JBL 15" with the big L Jim Lansing decal on the rib was made between 1953 and 1956; we can nail it down closer with the serial number. Likewise the JBL components in the other box, someone here with access to the serial number registry should be able to help you out. The bowtie horn is pretty rare; is it a Racon? That old Jensen enclosure is super cool and may be considered a valuable collectible overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Cooljjay, that is some great looking equipment. The Altec gray 811 horn and wrinkle finish driver are roughly 1955 vintage. That's got to be the earliest version of the two piece welded 811. The driver could be an 802B or very early 802C, probably a C if it is original to the horn. The JBL 15" with the big L Jim Lansing decal on the rib was made between 1953 and 1956; we can nail it down closer with the serial number. Likewise the JBL components in the other box, someone here with access to the serial number registry should be able to help you out. The bowtie horn is pretty rare; is it a Racon? That old Jensen enclosure is super cool and may be considered a valuable collectible overseas.
    Thanks, I want to keep the altec horn because its just awesome but I am hoping to be able to sell that off and get enough money to make that speaker match the other jbl equipment, right now the cabinet with the altec over powers the other jbl speaker. It sounds good but its annoying my virgo sense.

That is a racon horn, I love that big ol speaker, I love when I can go across the street and still here my music I couldn't believe it when I opened it up, I then had people tell me that it was a really rare speaker and very early, I believe the jensen cabinet dates at 1949. It also came with a really nice sargent rayment 6L6 mono amp and a chrome radio craftsmen tuner. Here is a photo of the jensen sporting new grille cloth and a good polish.

The cabinet looks fabulous, especially with that lamp. I think you've dated it correctly, late '40s:

http://hifilit.com/hifilit/Jensen/sheet150-4.jpg

Your situation with the JBLs reminds me of a pair of corner type Jensen Imperial systems I was given a couple of years ago. Both were home made cabs made from the published plans by different builders, later brought together to make a stereo pair. Both had originally been fitted with the stock Jensen Imperial three way components. One had been gutted and fit with Altec 803B woofer, 511A horn with 802D driver. Like your pair, my Altec equipped speaker was louder then the Jensen equipped one and sounded much better.

Thread Information