Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: speaker repair - shim vs '30hz'

speaker repair - shim vs '30hz'

I read with some interest the re-foaming sticky thread, and using the 30hz test tone as a voice coil centering method... Everything I've ever read before, and every (mostly retired) audio pro I've talked to insists you want to shim the voice coil to keep it centered and square. I can see as how running AC (30Hz) into the voice coil would center it on the 'in and out' Z axis, but I can't quite picture how that would keep it properly centered in the gap, radially. Can anyone explain this? I understand electromagnetics and such pretty well as an amateur scientist and general techno-geek.

FWIW, after doing tons of reading, I'm having a local pro sound shop re-foam my 2214H's (L100T) as I don't trust myself to get it right the first time... One of the cones is partially separated from the voice coil too (probably happened in transport), the shop's tech said no problem, he's fixed lots of JBLs like that.

I have refoamed many woofers over the last few years from 8" to 15" ones without the use of shims. I used gravity, a 30 Hz test tone CD and a LOT of clothes pins.

Search here for Rick Cobb and if you use his install methods, you shouldn't have a problem at all. He comes highly recommended.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

How do you apply the pins? I mean, is it in motion when you do?

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    How do you apply the pins? I mean, is it in motion when you do?
    yes it is in motion and the volume is low so the amount of movement is trivial but enough to keep things centered. Also, I should have noted, and I apologize for not doing so in the previous post is that I work the surround onto the frame as spreakerdave noted carefully and I add the clips in a North-South-East-West pattern until I fill the frame with pins. Don't go all crazy with glue either or you will have some pins left on the surrounds. You will know if you have too much if the glue comes a gushing out from under the surround.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

And when the wife asks where all the clothes pins are shrug and blame the kids.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    And when the wife asks where all the clothes pins are shrug and blame the kids.
    the WAF problem ?

No, the WAF problem is getting 4 foot monitors with blue faces and blue grill cloth into the living room next to the TV. Or justifying yet another pair of speakers when you already have 11 pairs. How about 5 Yamaha power amps when her friends have the Bose Lifestyle System and it has a cute credit card remote.

Those are WAF problems.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

WAF problem numero uno: "Why are there so many wires? can't you hide them?"

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    How about 5 Yamaha power amps when her friends have the Bose Lifestyle System and it has a cute credit card remote.

And then you have to explain her that there is an order to which she has to turn these amps and filters on and off, or baaaaaad things will happen.

I find that any conversation that starts with either "I don't know" or "I don't understand" is generally bad news:

"I don't know how this thing works"
    (Good - I don't want you touching it anyway)

"I don't understand what was wrong with the last pair of speakers - they sounded fine"
    (If I just wanted fine honey, I'd buy Bose.)

"I don't understand how anyone could spend $1,000 for an amplifier"
    (Don't get me started on the things I don't understand about you, and trust me $1,000 isn't bad.)

"I don't know why we need all this stuff"
    (For the same reason I need you dear - it's love)

I could go on and on- but as a whole, I have to say my hobby is taken in a fair amount of stride with what can best be described as bemused resignation. Can't complain really...

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pierce View Post
    WAF problem numero uno: "Why are there so many wires? can't you hide them?"

Don't forget that WAF and HAF can be balanced by walking the razor's edge! In my case this is not too dangerous or difficult as we both come from backgrounds with both technical and artistic inclinations. Engineering and art, function and form, pragmatics and aesthetics...all can live in harmony. It may take time, design ingenuity and devotion, but in the end we want sound to become music that attracts us to listen. The same applies to what we see and what we do...so let it be written, so let it be done!

I simply have TWO systems in the house. The 'big stereo' in the living room is my component system, actually, its pretty damn simple, but does have multiple power switches, and you really should juice the power amp 30 secs -after- turning everything else on... but she almost never messes with it, rather, she uses the yamaha a/v receiver based system in the family room (which, btw, is currently stereo and not 5.1, I started finding the rear speakers more distracting than beneficial for all but a few Fx extravaganzas). so its the best of both worlds....

family room system:

• yamaha rx-v2092 a/v reciever
    • ohm model 'h' bookshelf speakers
    • toshiba dvd player
    • panasonic laserdisk player (old pioneer LD-S1 bit the big one)
    • panasonic ag-1980 svhs vcr
    • vizio 42" 1080p lcd-tv (costco special)

living room system:

• adcom gfp-565 preamp
    • adcom gfa-585 power amp
    • adcom gft-555-II tuner
    • yamaha cdx-393 cd deck
    • denon dp-23f turntable
    • denon drm-700 cassette
    • JBL L100T speakers

so, everyone is happy

Wife problems.

When I first got married my complained about the cost of the speakers, $120 in 1966 $$ for JBL D140F and no cabinet!
    A few years later one of my wife's best friends came over and my wife played some records for her. My wife's friend was really impressed with sound and just raved about how they sounded like theater speakers.
    Ever since then I don't have much of a problem. John

Just to achive some closure here, today, I got my speakers back from the local sound shop that re-foamed them, and reinstalled them in my L100T's.

they did a decent job, although it does look like they used a bit too much glue on the dust cap (they removed the cap and shimmed the voice coils the tradititonal way)

grabbed a random CD off the stack, mmm, Talking Heads "Little Creatures"....

DAYUM, I"D FORGOTTEN HOW GOOD THIS SYSTEM SOUNDS.

next on the stack was some Dr John, "Back To New Orleans"... yup, full range bass, I'm loving it.

I do think a bit of crossover tuning may be in order, the tweeters are definitely hot on this system, and a bit too forward.

Quote Originally Posted by pierce View Post
    Just to achive some closure here, today, I got my speakers back from the local sound shop that re-foamed them, and reinstalled them in my L100T's.

I do think a bit of crossover tuning may be in order, the tweeters are definitely hot on this system, and a bit too forward.
    grills on or grills off?

Tweeters were beating me on mine when i first got them - just got my crossovers back from Duaneage,
    who upgraded them to L100T3 specs for me ... had a brief listen last night - they seems a bit less shrill,
    but - Emma will be out Friday night, so I'll get a chance to crank them and let you know if they better ...

Understand that my reference systems are both LE85-mid/2405-tweeter systems, so i am a bit spoiled by their sound ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information