Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jbl L300 Summit

Jbl L300 Summit

I have find 2 JBL L300 SUMMIT 75 i must wait for pickup in 2 or 3 weeks
    if someone has documents, informations on product or transformation, upgrade or link on JBL L300 SUMMIT I'm interested thank you

Find on the net (by Dan):
    JBL has made some incredible speakers in their history, and there is no doubt that the Paragon and the Hartsfield are two of their greatest achievements, and few also would argue that the 4345 has the slight edge on the L300 Summit for audiophile sound quality. But for many reasons the JBL L300 Summit is an icon of not just the JBL product line, but the audio industry altogether. It is something akin to the 1957 Chevy in capturing the essence of an era. In the 1950’s and 1960’s, if you dreamed about a car, it likely was an early model Corvette or the 1957 Chevy Bel Air (probably the convertible!). In the 1970’s, if you dreamed about a set of speakers, it was this pair of JBL L300 Summits. The L300 Summit represents an era of historic greatness, when products that were “Made in America” meant that it was the most innovative design, the best quality materials and components, the absolute best construction and attention to detail, and the best performance possible. In 1975 JBL was at its zenith in terms of Quality Control, Engineering and Design Innovation, and these L300 Summits were State of the Art. Impeccably styled, superb cabinet construction, and absolutely phenomenal driver quality created what was then the astronomically priced statement speaker at $3,000 a pair in 1975 – 33 years ago!

These speakers sound fabulous – no other way to describe it. The combination of finesse and delicacy coupled with the amazing muscle of the 15” JBL 136A woofer create a sound that is just indescribable. The combination of the 136A woofer, the LE85 midrange horn and the incredibly delicious 077 crystal slot tweeter were the culmination of more than 20 years of JBL research and design, and to say that they have withstood the test of time and are still relevant today is a huge understatement. The reason that the demand for these premium speakers is so high is that the drivers out-perform almost everything being made today. This speaker will blow you away with its carefully blended combination of graceful and intimate detail and raw, chest pounding power - it is the quintessential 3-way speaker system.

Technical Details

These Summits were built between 1975-1982 which were arguably JBL’s most innovative and prolific period. These were designed by Greg Timbers, who worked at JBL for over 35 years and is one of the worlds most respected speaker designers.

This is an extremely pure and clean design – a 3-way speaker with extremely high-end components include a massive 15" 136A woofer with 4 inch edge wound voice coil and an optimized alnico motor structure for ultra low distortion. The authoritative bass performance of this classic woofer still rivals the best modern designs. The LE85 midrange features a 1.75 diameter edge wound aluminum voice coil and an alnico motor structure. It fires through a cast aluminum exponential horn and wide dispersion lens assembly. The 077 tweeter features a very efficient ring radiator design with an aluminum diaphragm which has been shown to be one of the most effective ways to achieve flat, extended frequency response beyond 20 kHz. The design of the high frequency driver matches the directivity of midrange horn beautifully which leads to a near-perfect transition between them.

The performance specs are readily available from JBL or the JBL Heritage site. Basic info:

Size = 31.5” x 23” x 23.5”
    Unpacked Weight = 145 lbs apiece
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Look, just freakin' Google IT!!

besides, this is the Mother Lode of JBL Info -
    that stuff is already here, loaded in "The Library"
    Look at the Black bar 1/4 of the way down the page - where it says

USER CP - FAQ - Library ...

Yeah, click LIBRARY
    then click JBL Library
    Then click SPECS
    Then click Home Speakers ...

Its real easy - they keep using pictures of L300s as typical speakers!

Halfway down that page is a scanned in brochure of the 1975 L300

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1975-l300.htm

Go fer it!

There is all kinds of other info here - just use the site SEARCH and type in L300 Zingo - the words will come!

Welcome to the site, and good luck on your new vintage speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by mm54 View Post
    I have find 2 JBL L300 SUMMIT 75 i must wait for pickup in 2 or 3 weeks
    if someone has documents, informations on product or transformation, upgrade or link on JBL L300 SUMMIT I'm interested thank you

Much redundant specs deleted by Heather ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I also pointed you toward the JBL technical sheets on the two (L300/L300A) versions here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...44&postcount=9
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Gotta love, "The performance specs are readily available from JBL or the JBL Heritage site."

You found your way here, I bet you can find your way to the docs you seek.

It's nice to be able to come here and tell people to STFA (Search the Forum/F** Archives) since we're not allowed to do that over on AK where the same OP made the same post. There must be 10 "Where can I buy lamps for xxx receiver?" posts in the same forum there every week.

LOL.

thank you hjames & BMWCCA i appréciate your help
    i have also make a post on ak to have informations on JBL L300SUMMIT
    and have a idea less "targeted" JBL and I have no more informations ..
    I had to make a choice quickly and decided to buy the L300 summit I'm very happy to have done
    have you an idea of the price for the JBL L300SUMMIT in USA
    in europe it is EUR3000,-- if the speakers are in good cosmetic condition and operating
    thank you brutal I thought I could get other information that is available outside the sites and links usual ..
    again thank you all for your help

have you an idea of the price for the JBL L300SUMMIT in USA
    in europe it is EUR3000,-- if the speakers are in good cosmetic condition and operating
    I'd have to say excellent pairs are generally being offered with asking prices around $3,600 USD. About a month ago a pretty nice pair from an original owner's son went for $2,300 on Ebay after 16 bids. Another pretty nice pair in need of new grille cloth went days ago for $3,495 also on Ebay. So actual price on any given day is just a guess.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'd have to say excellent pairs are generally being offered with asking prices around $3,600 USD
    yes i agree, more difficult to find in France and near ..
    the problem for me is the shipping cost for France, very deterrent! without which he must make a serious packing in wooden boxes and that it takes time and money ...
    In many cases, sellers do not wish to do the work of packing and shipping, he preferred pickup directly on site by the buyer, which is understandable, it is a big job ...
    do you know a company in USA that could get the speakers at the vendor pack speaker in wooden boxes then ship to the address of the buyer

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If I remember correctly, the vintage JBLs with the names on the "foilcal" (that's what JBL calls the metal-foil label where the crossover L-pad knobs usually are) are the earlier versions. In most cases the system is the same. I believe I remember the names got dropped about the same time JBL changed plant locations.

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

The differences in the two versions of the L300 Summit/L300A can be seen here:
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...ummit%20ts.pdf
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...ummit%20ts.pdf
    thank's again for your help,
    on some forum in France it seems that the owners make L300 SUMMIT "UPGRADES" or changes the filters and/or other components ...
    is there a technique doc to determine whether these changes were advocated by JBL or technicians trying to improve ..

it is the same N333 SHEMATIC i have reade only this diffrences:
    LOW FREQUENCE DRIVER :
    136A (L300)
    136H (L300A)
    and if not serviceable replace with : 2235H

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:
    Max Rec. Amp Power :
    300 Watts (L300)
    400 Watts (L300A)

SHIPPING Weight :
    145lbs _ 66KG (L300)
    152lbs _ 69KG (L300A)

ADDITIONAL PARTS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE/
    Binding Posts:
    Red : 10243 5L300) / 56131 (L300A)
    Black: 10244 5L300) / 56130 (L300A)

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Both the Klipsch and L300 have large soundstages, but I wouldn't say that either images that precisely. "Summit" was the name assigned to the L300 model number. Early L300's have no mention of the model name on the speaker while later versions had the foilcal labeled "L300 Summit". As best I can tell, there is no difference between these systems. There was an L300A introduced in 1979 that replaced the Alnico 136A bass driver with the ferrite 136H bass driver. Both drivers used identical moving parts and both magnets had identical energy so that there sould be very little sonic difference, if any. The only real way to tell which bass driver is in the system you are considering is to take it out of the cabinet. The 136A has a magnet that is fully enclosed in a deep, small diameter pot. The 136H has an exposed magnet that has a larger diameter and is shallower to look more like a pancake.
    thank you Don McRitchie

what type of cable to connect the JBL L300 SUMMIT to my BOSE1801 amp
    are there any recommandations

what type of cable to connect the JBL L300 SUMMIT to my BOSE1801 amp

are there any recommandations
    You're definitely gonig to want this:

Seriously though, assuming the hook ups at the back of the Bose are standard (I know some of their products have proprietary connections) then equal lengths per channel of high quality wire of an appropriate thickness relative to the length you are running should do the job. My experience with wire is in line with AWG specifications (which I understand is not the European standard) but the chart below gives appropriate diameters vs. run, and hopefully should help:

0.82 mm2 / 6m maximum
    1.30 mm2 / 9m maximum
    2.10 mm2 / 15m maximum
    3.30 mm2 / 24m maximum

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    You're definitely gonig to want this:

Hi Mike,
    thank you,
    I think this kilimanjaro is well named, the price is proportional to the height of the summit ! I am sure that quality is top!

the price is higher than the price of my JBL L300 SUMMIT,
    I am looking for something more affordable you now
    what do you think of
    Ked Xtube400 5 m €459,-- http://www.qed.co.uk/168/gb/product/...x-tube_400.htm
    Ked revelation http://www.qed.co.uk/184/gb/product/...revelation.htm
    harmonictechhttp://www.harmonictech.com/products...ro11-plus.html or http://www.harmonictech.com/products...y-speaker.html
    anticables http://www.anticables.com/home.html
    Van Den Hull http://www.vandenhul.com/p_C11.aspx
    Kimber 8TC http://www.kimber.com/Products/LoudS...s/8TC/8TC.aspx
    Audiophile HighEnd Speaker http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110214497598

all in the ~same price but no informations on earch, the last (Audiophile) say:
    "The cables have been bench tested against Chord, Wireworld, Nordost, Kimber and DNM with outstanding results" but we cant prouve ...

other link if you have
    brgs
    michel

Hi Mike,
    thank you,
    I think this kilimanjaro is well named, the price is proportional to the height of the summit ! I am sure that quality is top!

Indeed, and spending that kind of coin on a few meters of cable could likely be attributed to a lack of oxygen to the brain one might associate with that elevation...

In all honesty, my earlier reference was intended as a joke. IMHO, there is no need to purchase cables that are of higher quality than the wiring in your components or your loudspeakers (and perhaps even your house.) So for my purposes, I've always used and been very happy with Monster Cable interconnects and speaker wire, and have found them to be a solution in line with the wiring throughout my system.

Best,
    - Mike

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Indeed, and spending that kind of coin on a few meters of cable could likely be attributed to a lack of oxygen to the brain one might associate with that elevation...
    !!

yes Monster cable is also a good way ..
    once of my friend how have the same JBL L300 SUMMIT say
    "On this speaker, according to the amp, the best cable
    is one who gives the bottom of the spectrum more articulated.
    After Monster Cable, Audioquest, Isoda, phone and other I returned
    to 1.5mm mono strand square semi rigid as standard.
    Over time it resists boredom"

brgs
    michel

Thread Information