Thread: JBL 4642 monster dual 18" subs. Anybody work with them?

JBL 4642 monster dual 18" subs. Anybody work with them?

I have a chance to buy 4 of these monsters for a reeeeally good price, anybody have any experience with them? I know it sounds a little over the top, but I was going to save them for a home theater that is going to be built in a large room. For the price and great condition they are in, I really cant pass them up.

I was looking at the specs at:

http://www.jands.co.nz/xfiles/JBL%20...inema/4642.PDF

and they seem pretty impressive. The spec sheet shows the low end response to improve when multiple cabinets are used, do the cabinets have to be stacked close to each other to get this increase in low end response, or could they be on different walls of the room? I had a post last week asking about mutual coupling, and I am curious if this is what causes the improvement in useable low end response.

Strange that you pull a spec sheet of a New Zealand website.........I have dealt with these cabs on a few occasions. They are pretty nice but at the weight of an aircraft carrier, single 18's seems like a better plan.

The spec sheet showed up on my Google search for JBL 4642, didnt notice it was a NZ website.

I know that they are big and heavy from when I inspected them, and 4 double 18 cabinets is kind of silly overkill, but for the price I got them for I dont think anybody on the board would pass them up.

Still would like to hear any comments on the 2241H in these cabinets or any experiences with these 4642 units.

Thanks.

woofs

Be sure to check the 2241's for small cracks in the surround and also the spider. Some mechanical issues were addressed when the later model 2242 was released. Any 18" cone would be suspect after a number of years no matter the use.

While the box has a lot of output, it's not a "deep" sub like a 2245 would be in a large box or a TCB like the 4688.

Here is the .pdf sheet for the "A" version - I think the original version had the 2240H and the concert series variant ( 4645 ) used the 2245H The box sizes were similar but the port(s) were changed.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/The...es/4642AGS.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4842.pdf

sub

Mctwins
    Hi
    Go for it, I have great result with my two JBL 4641 subs. You have to use the right power amp two drive them, they love alot of power.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hi
    Go for it, I have great result with my two JBL 4641 subs. You have to use the right power amp two drive them, they love alot of power.
    Thanks
    Would like to hear what amp you are using to drive your 4641's, are you bridging the pair of 2241 in each cabinet?

What size room do you use your pair of 4641 subs in?

Looking forward to playing with my new 1000 pound stack of toys

Mctwins
    Hi
    You can read it on my post JBL 3731 and McIntosh.
    Thanks

very good subs. the 2241 woofers really do go flat to 30hz in these. very crisp and deep low end. i have heard 3 of these in a 300 capacity nightclub. its hifi bass at its best imo. they run about 3kw into each (powersoft amplifiers)

Thread Information