+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74

Thread: Looky What I Just Got - JBL L100T - One owner!

  1. #1
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,253

    Looky What I Just Got - JBL L100T - One owner!

    Already started the thread elsewhere - pair of L100T speakers in very nice shape, veneer is dry, but nearly perfect (minor chip on the back corner).
    2214H woofers have blown their foam, but nearly everything else looks quite nice!
    Bought the surround kit from Rick Monday, arrived today, just finished aligning everything with the test tone - I'll let them sit overnight before reassembling the speakers ...

    Couple pictures show the dramatic difference when oiling an old dry cabinet.
    I'm just wiping them down with Howard's Orange oil just to refurb them a bit.
    The last picture show the mess of the living room - Aquaplas 2425Hs for the 4341s, H92 longhorns for the L200s, and the 2214 just pulled from the L100T ... too many projects!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    2ch - Oppo DV981, JoLida 502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- Oppo BDP-93, B&K amps, Vandy 2Ce, 2Ci, VCC1, DCM TF600 & 4641

  2. #2
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,253
    Because there was a question about it - This pair has the PC Board crossover networks ... (not point to point ones)


    Based on comments from G and the gang, it sounds like upgrading them to L100 T3 specs is a very worthwhile project,
    see this thread - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=7812

    I've hooked them up to the Yamaha CR-1020 in the living room (instead of the L-200 3ways) - so I can give them a fair listen over the next few days and see what I think. I wanted to let the refoams dry for overnight and a day before I hit them with any serious sound.
    But a tentative playing of "She's already Made up her Mind" (Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth) late last night
    showed me these speakers have a very fine bass quality!
    If you don't know the album, its quite an audiophile recording (thanks to Fred Sanford for turning me on to it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch - Oppo DV981, JoLida 502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- Oppo BDP-93, B&K amps, Vandy 2Ce, 2Ci, VCC1, DCM TF600 & 4641

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mike Ronesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Saipan, CNMI
    Posts
    114
    Nice, they look like a quick fix to all but new condition.
    The cure for almost anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    113
    I love the L100Ts...I scored a pair locally for $500 Canadian, almost in mint condition, just a small nick in one corner of one cabinet. Sound terrific. I think they are the most underrated speaker JBL made in the last 25 years. Sad thing is, many of them are being parted out, due to the size/weight of the cabinets; makes them too expensive to ship.

    I think Heather and I have this in common: a love of the L-series! I have all of the models (L20T, L60T, L80T & L100T); I think she has most of them too.

  5. #5
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    . . . a tentative playing of "She's already Made up her Mind" (Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth) late last night
    showed me these speakers have a very fine bass quality!
    Yep, I don't think the rear port will bother you on these like it did on the L60Ts.

    Nice job on the re-surround! Just curious; did the 2214s have a paper gasket where they mounted to the cabinet? On my L80Ts only one did, oddly enough, with no sign of anyone entering them until my re-surround. Not that I can honestly say I hear any difference between the two now, one with gasket and one without. Did yours have the spring-loaded woofer terminals or the spade connectors?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  6. #6
    Senior Member Fred Sanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley
    Posts
    1,608
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But a tentative playing of "She's already Made up her Mind" (Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth) late last night
    showed me these speakers have a very fine bass quality!
    If you don't know the album, its quite an audiophile recording (thanks to Fred Sanford for turning me on to it!!
    Listen to the opening of "North Dakota" as well - those tweets should give you a very detailed reverb trail off of the conga drums.

    Great album, great recording.

    je

  7. #7
    Senior Member Fred Sanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley
    Posts
    1,608
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yep, I don't think the rear port will bother you on these like it did on the L60Ts.

    Nice job on the re-surround! Just curious; did the 2214s have a paper gasket where they mounted to the cabinet? On my L80Ts only one did, oddly enough, with no sign of anyone entering them until my re-surround. Not that I can honestly say I hear any difference between the two now, one with gasket and one without. Did yours have the spring-loaded woofer terminals or the spade connectors?
    My L20T3s also lacked a woofer gasket, but they'd obviously been opened & stripped in the past.

    When's the next comparo? We've all accumulated a bunch of new 'stuff'. Memorial Day?

    je

  8. #8
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,253
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yep, I don't think the rear port will bother you on these like it did on the L60Ts.

    Nice job on the re-surround! Just curious; did the 2214s have a paper gasket where they mounted to the cabinet? On my L80Ts only one did, oddly enough, with no sign of anyone entering them until my re-surround. Not that I can honestly say I hear any difference between the two now, one with gasket and one without. Did yours have the spring-loaded woofer terminals or the spade connectors?
    As near as I could tell, no one had been in the cabinets before (except spiders!!) - but no gaskets visible, no signs of any on the dry wood either.

    2214H both have spade lug terminals ... but the L60T woofers had the plastic spring terminals - price point thing???

    4 of the rubber grommets that the grills push into had been shoved back into the cabinet. I initially thought they were gone, and JBL says NLA but I found they'd slid WAAY back in the hole once I pulled the woofers. I pushed them through, dabbed a bit of gorilla glue in the hole, then pushed them in again from the front. Hopefully that will lock them in place for another 20+ years.

    Meeting details?? Lets take them to email!
    2ch - Oppo DV981, JoLida 502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- Oppo BDP-93, B&K amps, Vandy 2Ce, 2Ci, VCC1, DCM TF600 & 4641

  9. #9
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    2214H both have spade lug terminals ... but the L60T woofers had the plastic spring terminals - price point thing???

    4 of the rubber grommets that the grills push into had been shoved back into the cabinet. I initially thought they were gone, and JBL says NLA but I found they'd slid WAAY back in the hole once I pulled the woofers. I pushed them through, dabbed a bit of gorilla glue in the hole, then pushed them in again from the front. Hopefully that will lock them in place for another 20+ years.
    Yeah, only one gasket on one of mine but the serial numbers are not consecutive. Way to scrimp on a 25¢ part! The tech sheets show the gasket on the entire L-series. The spring-loaded connections get this note on the L100T technical sheet: "Early 2214's w/o Faston Connectors Use Red & Black Push Terminals". So yours must be a later pair.

    I had to pull all of my grommets out to palm-sand the boxes. One was pushed in and I thought it was missing. Thin needle-nosed pliers did the trick but I didn't use any glue since I figured I'd not mishandle them like the previous owner. Who pushes on a grille hard enough to shove the grommet in the hole? That means they never had it lined up right to start. And they seem surprised when the post breaks on the grilles!

    Too much going on on the holiday here, too. I'm a single parent the next weekend with my wife taking one daughter to Paris for ten days. The weekend of 6/6 looks okay so far but my living room is still a 4345/030 disaster area, and not big enough anyway. I don't think the 4345s will be traveling anywhere anytime soon! I'll plan on a big event in my new home I hope to build before I die. This comparo may have to be restricted to small stuff with 12" woofer maximum: L80T, L100T, L96, L5, 4412A, and all the other "little" stuff we've got out there. And there's always that spare pair of L7s.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  10. #10
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,253
    Got home and playing through some CDs - John is right, Lyle's "North Dakota" is a great sounding piece of music. Ran through parts of Disc 1 - of Santana Moonflower - "Let the Children Play" and "Dance Sister Dance" - a bit harsher. Then "Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniv Renmaster" - in some places the sibilance in her voice is piercing .. dang - can these 035TIs be aquaplassed?

    Now granted, the CR-1020 is an older vintage receiver - maybe 90w/channel and these L100Ts can probably live with 400w/ch amps if you don't peak them all the time, but when I run the Yam a bit louder so the bass sounds good, the tweeters get a bit shrill.

    Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the L200/L300 clones and the 4341s -
    the big 15s/CD combo systems are all I know.

    But Emma's gonna run some errands in a bit, so I'll pull out Concrete Blonde, X and The Who (Leeds, of course) to bang them a bit more ...
    and confirm what I'm already hearing ...
    2ch - Oppo DV981, JoLida 502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- Oppo BDP-93, B&K amps, Vandy 2Ce, 2Ci, VCC1, DCM TF600 & 4641

  11. #11
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,343
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    - in some places the sibilance in her voice is piercing .. dang - can these 035TIs be aquaplassed?
    I'd swap CD players before I blamed the amp or the speakers. Even the interconnects (shudder to think I said that), but I've been-there-done-that with a fine old Sony TOTL single-play I've had since new. Swapped in a $36 DVD player from the H-K tent sales and never looked back. You can do Burr-Brown these days brand new for under $200.

    I've got too many 035Ti's and TiA's to count and don't have that same problem, even on the same CD!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  12. #12
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,253
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'd swap CD players before I blamed the amp or the speakers. Even the interconnects (shudder to think I said that), but I've been-there-done-that with a fine old Sony TOTL single-play I've had since new. Swapped in a $36 DVD player from the H-K tent sales and never looked back. You can do Burr-Brown these days brand new for under $200.

    I've got too many 035Ti's and TiA's to count and don't have that same problem, even on the same CD!
    Yeah - currently got a Denon CD Changer with HDCD capabilities in that slot -
    I've got an HK Changer I can swap into its place later -
    gotta lift the Yamaha to do so (heavy!)

    But I had the same system including the speaker cables and interconnects
    feeding the L200-3ways just a day before and didn't have that shrillness ...
    just powered down and popped the banana jacks from one pair to the other ...
    2ch - Oppo DV981, JoLida 502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- Oppo BDP-93, B&K amps, Vandy 2Ce, 2Ci, VCC1, DCM TF600 & 4641

  13. #13
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,343
    Hmmm. I've been listening to the softer 044's of the L96 a lot recently so any sibilance from the titanium tweets should jump right out at me. I'll play Raincoat on the L80Ts later this evening. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!



    Maybe if you had a spare pair of 035Ti's you could swap in there . . .
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  14. #14
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,253
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Hmmm. I've been listening to the softer 044's of the L96 a lot recently so any sibilance from the titanium tweets should jump right out at me. I'll play Raincoat on the L80Ts later this evening. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!



    Maybe if you had a spare pair of 035Ti's you could swap in there . . .
    Yeah, I can gut my L20Ts - they actually have 035TIAs in them ...
    2ch - Oppo DV981, JoLida 502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- Oppo BDP-93, B&K amps, Vandy 2Ce, 2Ci, VCC1, DCM TF600 & 4641

  15. #15
    Senior Member Fred Sanford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley
    Posts
    1,608
    June might work, keep talking about it (or we can take it to e-mail). I was thinking the 8" & under crowd for ease of transport/setup/comparo.

    JBL HP420/4401 (modded)/L46/L20T3 here, that lineup currently has 026Ti/033/034/035TiA tweets, a nice cross-section of domes.

    There's also some wee Cantons here: Karat 20/Patio 160/Plus S/Quinto 510 if desired. Some Sonance Mariner outdoor speakers NIB, too, if I feel like climbing into one of the storage closets.

    je

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Small but perfectly formed JBL home cinema
    By JBL 4645 in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 656
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 02:12 AM
  2. New to Forum; JBL (proud) owner
    By Brad Anbro in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM
  3. hi jbl
    By amadeo in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts