Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcraftsmen purchase help

thought about asking this in another thread but didn't find one appropriate (didn't want to get scolded to for posting in the analog 2.1 preamp thread ), and want to stay on Soundcraftsment so here goes.

I'm currently running an Opp83SE-->analog bypass HK AVR-->SC S800 amp for my two channel listening. Thought for sometime about what to expect if I ran the SEs analog out to a vintage pre-amp instead? (want to use the Oppo's DAC that paid good money for). Would the analog section of such a pre-amp like a SC DX series/Control3 make that much of a difference compared to the HK bypass??

I'm pretty ignorant about analog pre-amp power boards, what makes them good/bad, and have repeatedly read about how inferior they are on modern mid-grade AVRs, so I'm a bit lost there. On the flipside for budget purposes I'd only do this with something vintage and low risk, so would a late 80s, early 90's SC be a meaningful "upgrade"?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I have a SP 4002 and a MA 5002 that I absolutely LOVE for my 2 channel setup. However, I want to build a home theater now and would LOVE to use Soundcraftsmen amps for this too but I was wondering if a person could run multiple amps (bridged / mono) to do this ? would it sound good ? I was thinking like maybe a PM or PCR "shoebox" per channel maybe at least a large amp for the fronts and center and a smaller amp for the rears ?

Not sure what's possible so any ideas or even better, examples if you guys are running something similar, would be awesome!!

Soundcraftsmen schematics

The new 900X2 arrived today. I was surprised to see the front grille slots horizontal rather than vertical like the PR1800. Otherwise looks pretty much the same on the outside.

As I was unable to get any PR1800 or 900X2 schematics on any forums I bought some from this online source:
    http://www.servicemanuals.net/Servic...1/results.aspx
    They have schematics for most of the soundcraftsmen line.

I actually bought the PR1800 schematic and they came with "PR1800; 900X2; Pro-Power 8" on them, so I didn't bother to buy the 900X2 schematics.

So it sounds like a Pro-Power 8 and 900X2 and PR1800 are all the same thing? rickedd46 has me confused, he describes an A900 as also the same 12 output transistors/channel but then describes it as 4-channel or 2 PM860 in 1 chassis, which would be only 6 output transistors per channel??? Something doesn't add up, even the power spec impedances are like unbridged, unless the A900 is like two 900X2 in 1 chassis?

A400 finally!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post

What I'm looking for is an A400, which has the power rating I seek, is a bit newer, and recommended by TiD for the L7s
    Two years later, and one finally came up, a bid I wasn't going to lose this time

Really really clean unit, looks brand new, much unlike the two S800s I purchased originally. Just hooked it up & the difference I notice from the S800 would read like clichéd audio mag reviews, so I'll not go there, but there is an absolute improvement in LF that is particularly welcomed on an L7.

Don't know if its the model or from being in better shape than the S800s, but it's a step up for certain--thanks Dome for the original recommendation.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Two years later, and one finally came up, a bid I wasn't going to lose this time

Really really clean unit, looks brand new, much unlike the two S800s I purchased originally. Just hooked it up & the difference I notice from the S800 would read like clichéd audio mag reviews, so I'll not go there, but there is an absolute improvement in LF that is particularly welcomed on an L7.

Don't know if its the model or from being in better shape than the S800s, but it's a step up for certain--thanks Dome for the original recommendation.....
    The A400, now there's a sweet baby!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
    The new 900X2 arrived today. I was surprised to see the front grille slots horizontal rather than vertical like the PR1800. Otherwise looks pretty much the same on the outside.

As I was unable to get any PR1800 or 900X2 schematics on any forums I bought some from this online source:
    http://www.servicemanuals.net/Servic...1/results.aspx
    They have schematics for most of the soundcraftsmen line.

I actually bought the PR1800 schematic and they came with "PR1800; 900X2; Pro-Power 8" on them, so I didn't bother to buy the 900X2 schematics.

So it sounds like a Pro-Power 8 and 900X2 and PR1800 are all the same thing? rickedd46 has me confused, he describes an A900 as also the same 12 output transistors/channel but then describes it as 4-channel or 2 PM860 in 1 chassis, which would be only 6 output transistors per channel??? Something doesn't add up, even the power spec impedances are like unbridged, unless the A900 is like two 900X2 in 1 chassis?
    Hello Cyclecamper,

Yes, that was an error on my part. The PM1600, Pro-Power 8, PR1800, 900X2, A900PRO are all the same amplifier except that the PM1600 does not have the protection circuitry board and only 1/4" inputs. There might be other differences as front plates but internally the same. Thanks for catching that.

Help please, Peak indicator light on?

unfortunately as of yesterday the right Peak indicator light on my "new" A400 is lit whenever I run the amp.

It lit up and low volume and has stayed on at low volume, even after shutting it down for the night and starting it back up the next day.

Does this mean there's something wrong with the actual output in terms of clipping or possibly that that light itself is defective? I can't hear any audible clipping/distortion?

If you've checked for DC, it's not gone into ultrasonic oscillation, and it sounds OK,
    it's probably just the circuitry driving the lamp (or a stuck relay or an overprotective protection circuit?).
    Other A400 user reports of similar behavior?

Seems like folks here had/have schematics that might help w/ a diagnosis.

IME that's a precursor to channel failure. I'd retire it until it's checked out, unless you've got it hooked up to a speaker you don't mind sacrificing.

Every Soundcraftsman amp that's gone bad on me started with a persistent clipping indicator. Over time, one simply stopped playing with no ill effect. Two others signaled their demise loudly and with great anguish, killing tweeters with their death throes.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    If you've checked for DC, it's not gone into ultrasonic oscillation, and it sounds OK,
    it's probably just the circuitry driving the lamp (or a stuck relay or an overprotective protection circuit?).
    Other A400 user reports of similar behavior?

Seems like folks here had/have schematics that might help w/ a diagnosis.
    Sorry to sound ignorant, DC is short for clipping? thanks!

Sorry to sound ignorant, DC is short for clipping? thanks!
    DC means Direct current - from the power supply perhaps - maybe a capacitor is/has failed ...
    instead of AC - Alternating current, which is what the music/audio is...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

If you come on the 13th, maybe we could check it for DC (Direct Current) if you bring it. Plus, I have one in my garage that could be used for comparison.
    Out.

DC is what you get from a battery... steady (mostly) unvarying voltage.
    If persistent on the output of an audio amp, more than a few milli-Volts,
    it usually indicates an adjustment is needed or a failure has occurred.

In dramatic failure cases, the power supply voltage (tens+ of volts) can
    show up on the output... sort of like clipping that stuck to the peak and stayed...
    This usually releases magic smoke from the amp -and- speaker

You can safely see what DC does by hooking up an AA battery to a large woofer...
    it introduces a static position offset (voice coil is no longer centered in the gap
    by the spider/surround suspension) and gives off heat (not audio).

thanks for the replies, wow that sucks, after waiting so long to find one especially in such nice outward condition....

I should have clarified that I did know how AC-DC works, but since I didn't know how to check direct current vs. alternating current in the amp, I thought maybe clipping was short for dynamic clipping or something like that. I do have an ohm-meter, but don't know where to probe?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    If you come on the 13th, maybe we could check it for DC (Direct Current) if you bring it. Plus, I have one in my garage that could be used for comparison.
    that'd be cool! chances are I'll be there for the 13th the way it looks right now

Thread Information