Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcraftsmen purchase help

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So why did you pass on this one? http://ebayitem.com/180352549386 :dont-know

(Pro-Power-Four sold 5/8/09 for $207.)

well, couple reasons. mainly, the contents of this thread. TiD's statements about the A400 are compelling, and your statements about the PP4 being less than an even older Crown unit.......both from experience on the actual L7 I plan to mate it up to.

secondly, I'm a limited collection guy, and want to have (and am willing to pay for) ONE best amp(for now) to go with my current system. I only have both the L5 and L7 because like you, was fearful of the L7's finicky nature per TiD's cautions and after countless months of procrastination, pulled the trigger on that $240 L5 set in PA when it came up (my first speakers since the L100).

When you grabbed your first set of L7 and said he was being overly cautious I found myself lusting after that fuller richer sound and jumped on Ti's pair in the selloff. Keep in mind that I'm currently powering them with a brand new 75WPC Harman Kardon AVR.....which I think sounds pretty decent but realize probably pales in comparison to quality power...

so....I'm trying to weigh all the recommendations in this forum, among other places, and make one solid buy that I am happy with. I was all set with the A400 decision, but they just don't come up often, so I decided to consult the experts on the rest of the SC line, and your feedback was enough to make me decide to just holdout for the A400. When the S800 came up this week, it was new to me so I thought I'd ask. Even with Dougs recommendation, as much as I'm tempted to grab it, I'm still a little hesitant...mainly because I've read SOOOO much about how critical the L7's response is to the amp selection, that I don't want to blow it....in the span of a couple months I've gone from a set of L100s and a 15yr old Kenwood, to a set of L5, L7, and a $800 AVR, I probably have one purchase left (this one) before my wife tells me to cool it...

Its a moot point - someone saw it and snapped it up while i was having first coffee this morning!
    600w in bridged mono mode, hmmm?
    Thats a sub shaker indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    here's the S800 I see on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

well, couple reasons. mainly, the contents of this thread. TiD's statements about the A400 are compelling, and your statements about the PP4 being less than an even older Crown unit.......both from experience on the actual L7 I plan to mate it up to.
    I see. But then I was comparing the Pro-Power-Four to a Crown PS-400, not another Soundcraftsmen. I don't think T-dome ever said the Pro-Power's weren't the same (or better) amp than the others, just that the switch-gear seemed prone to having their buttons go missing. But then considering the others have no buttons . . .

I have no other Soundcraftsmen amps to compare to the Pro-Power but all the reviews (one linked below) seemed to imply the circuitry was the same and the Pro-Power performed either identically or maybe even better than the 800-series shoe-box predecessors and contemporaries. http://www.soundcraftsmen.com/test_reports.htm

I like my Pro-Power-Four lot. I just like the Crown better, for personal reasons that may or may not make sense or even be a reference for anyone else wanting the Soundcraftsmen amp. If you're looking for a 200wpc Soundcraftsmen for around $200 you probably shouldn't kick the Pro-Power out of the running just because they actually have switches on the front panel!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its a moot point - someone saw it and snapped it up while i was having first coffee this morning!
    600w in bridged mono mode, hmmm?
    Thats a sub shaker indeed!
    only moot in the sense that that person was me

after reading my response I realized it was time to stop splitting hairs and jump in.......

only moot in the sense that that person was me

after reading my response I realized it was time to stop splitting hairs and jump in.......
    Waitaminnit! I saw that between 5 and 6ayem ... Eastern!
    Mighty early for a Californian

Thats alright - you saved me from explaining to Emma why i bought yet another piece of gear ... !
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Waitaminnit! I saw that between 5 and 6ayem ... Eastern!
    Mighty early for a Californian

Thats alright - you saved me from explaining to Emma why i bought yet another piece of gear ... !
    click the link, the BIN ended at 21:32:34 PST on 5/18 so about 9:30PM my time last night?

still waiting on my S800

but anyone know what model this unit is??

...anyone know what model this unit is??
    Was there supposed to be a link here?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Was there supposed to be a link here?
    oops, thanks BMW....here they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190309768903
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190309781501

the descriptions claiming complete ignorance to what is being sold is nice tactic.....

short_circutz
    thanks so much guys for the detailed explanations, that was exactly the type of information I was after, especially from others that own L7/L5 like yourselves.....in fact it was your input on the L Series thread that has had my humming and hawing over the 80s models vs. the 90s models.....

I was outbid on an A400 on ebay right here in my own zipcode (!) about three months ago, and shortly thereafter realized that I faarrr underbid, the winner took the thing for $150!! and it was spotless...I'm still over this

The only ones that have popped up since have been the Aseries "pro" model (with the orange lines across the face) which get no bids, I'm assuming because as you say they were DJ used and driven hard?

So....I've thought seriously about the ProPower4, considered the PCR800 but they always look so beatup and the linked test reports (which I've read many times) cite a fan noise issue, and very slightly considered the MA5002 but don't want something that old that sells at a premium over the A400 and ProPower....

bottom line....there's a very clean looking ProPower4 up for auction now, still under $200, comes with the manuals and CoC, and is "fully functional".....I'd really like to hold out for the A400 but if the only risk is paint and buttons, what would be a reasonable top bid?? and does the A400 hold any other inherent benefits that make it worth holding out for? (no fan noise, performance, etc)

thanks again
    Dunno if anyone is interested, but there's a PCR800 in mint condition being sold locally here, as well as two of the (if I remember correctly) 20-12A eq's. They are located in a local store that sells some vintage equipment. If interested, pm me and I'll get you contact info.

another S800

The last S800 I bought from earlier in this thread is the only non-integrated amp I've ever purchased, but this matching S800 has now come up 3 times, reduced in price from 195, to 150, now to 135

how leary should one be of a DJ used amp like this one, as clearly indicated by the traveling enclosure?

I'd love to have another identical S800 to finally two amp bi-wire my L7's, but don't know how much relative wear goes into "commerically used" Soundcraftsmen

The last S800 I bought from earlier in this thread is the only non-integrated amp I've ever purchased, but this matching S800 has now come up 3 times, reduced in price from 195, to 150, now to 135

how leary should one be of a DJ used amp like this one, as clearly indicated by the traveling enclosure?

I'd love to have another identical S800 to finally two amp bi-wire my L7's, but don't know how much relative wear goes into "commerically used" Soundcraftsmen
    I've gotten some Soundcraftsmen shoeboxes that looked like they lived a tough life, but only one of them ever disappointed me. I should have checked it as soon as I got it, but it was a reserve amp for a future project, and by the time I checked it out I'd already had it for two months. One channel worked; one didn't.

I gave it to my son when he visited from Ohio last year. He wrapped duct tape around it like a handle and carried it on board the plane home. He's been using the good channel to run his subwoofer for over a year.

It's always a gamble, but five out of the six amps that I bought worked fine and were within spec, regardless of appearance.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I've gotten some Soundcraftsmen shoeboxes that looked like they lived a tough life, but only one of them ever disappointed me. I should have checked it as soon as I got it, but it was a reserve amp for a future project, and by the time I checked it out I'd already had it for two months. One channel worked; one didn't.

I gave it to my son when he visited from Ohio last year. He wrapped duct tape around it like a handle and carried it on board the plane home. He's been using the good channel to run his subwoofer for over a year.

It's always a gamble, but five out of the six amps that I bought worked fine and were within spec, regardless of appearance.

thanks, how do you do the hookup a)one amp per speaker b)one amp for the HF/MFs, other for LFs ??

thanks, how do you do the hookup a)one amp per speaker b)one amp for the HF/MFs, other for LFs ??
    I've tried it both ways. If you place the amps near the speakers, then one channel for HF and one channel for LF from the same amp. If the amps are in a central location, which is more typical I guess, then it's convenient to use one for HF to both channels and another for LF to both channels. JBL even suggests the possibility of one amp chosen for its LF power and another for its HF characteristics.

When using identical amps, I don't think it makes much difference.
    Out.

I'm rich!!!

...well, I could be if I wanted to be.

Looks like at least two people thought this Pro-Power Four was worth over $300, plus $40 shipping!

http://ebayitem.com/220500626785

A nice-looking Pro-Power Four got eleven bids with a winning bid of $341, though it did include the bridge adapter, not that you'd ever need/want it. And amazingly all the knobs were still on it.

Thread Information