Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
So why did you pass on this one? http://ebayitem.com/180352549386 :dont-know

(Pro-Power-Four sold 5/8/09 for $207.)

well, couple reasons. mainly, the contents of this thread. TiD's statements about the A400 are compelling, and your statements about the PP4 being less than an even older Crown unit.......both from experience on the actual L7 I plan to mate it up to.

secondly, I'm a limited collection guy, and want to have (and am willing to pay for) ONE best amp(for now) to go with my current system. I only have both the L5 and L7 because like you, was fearful of the L7's finicky nature per TiD's cautions and after countless months of procrastination, pulled the trigger on that $240 L5 set in PA when it came up (my first speakers since the L100).

When you grabbed your first set of L7 and said he was being overly cautious I found myself lusting after that fuller richer sound and jumped on Ti's pair in the selloff. Keep in mind that I'm currently powering them with a brand new 75WPC Harman Kardon AVR.....which I think sounds pretty decent but realize probably pales in comparison to quality power...

so....I'm trying to weigh all the recommendations in this forum, among other places, and make one solid buy that I am happy with. I was all set with the A400 decision, but they just don't come up often, so I decided to consult the experts on the rest of the SC line, and your feedback was enough to make me decide to just holdout for the A400. When the S800 came up this week, it was new to me so I thought I'd ask. Even with Dougs recommendation, as much as I'm tempted to grab it, I'm still a little hesitant...mainly because I've read SOOOO much about how critical the L7's response is to the amp selection, that I don't want to blow it....in the span of a couple months I've gone from a set of L100s and a 15yr old Kenwood, to a set of L5, L7, and a $800 AVR, I probably have one purchase left (this one) before my wife tells me to cool it...