I've used Soundcraftsmen products for over thirty years and currently have about eleven of their components. Only ever had to send one back for repair and that was a minor issue with an unbalanced volume pot that seems to be endemic in their '70s-'80s-vintage pre-amps and pre-EQs (and apparently not fixable). I've had a Pro-Power-Four amp for a year or so and it performs flawlessly. I've used it with my L7s but my ears and brain simply prefer the Crown PS-400.

The later Soundcraftsmen stuff from the '90s (and I'll in include the last U.S-made MTX units, too) seem to be among their best products. I have two Pro-Control-Four pre-amps and Pro-44-EQs that are among my favorites and I use one pair with two Crowns in my bi-amped 4345 system, for what that's worth.

I bought the Pro-Power-Four on a whim in a set with the second EQ and pre-amp, all like-new in original boxes with manuals, just to try it out and not split up the set. The asking price for the amp alone was $325 but I ended up paying about $525 plus shipping for all three so I figure the amp at maybe about $250 of that. I think that's a pretty good deal for a solid, powerful amp in great condition.

You do have to watch out for condition on many Soundcraftsmen amps since they seem to have been put in heavy DJ and SR use and many are quite rough, abused, and have been ridden hard and put up wet. This seems especially true in the Pro-Power-Ten model. I understand T-dome's affection for the A-series and their elegant simplicity but I wouldn't let that keep you from considering a nice Pro-Power-Four, or the other similar models.

Here's a link to a great test report (yeah, I know, it's just Julian Hirsch who supposedly never found anything he didn't like!) that piqued my curiosity enough to buy one: http://www.soundcraftsmen.com/test_reports.htm