Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcraftsmen purchase help

Welcome and thanks for all the Soundcraftsmen info. It's a bonanza!

I've got a boatload of SC amps:
    PCR800 (5)
    S800
    A2502
    Pro Power Three
    A100 (3)*
    A200 (2)*
    A400 (2)*

*Some have MTX on the front, some don't.

Plus plenty of other SC gear DX4100 (2), DX4200 (2), AS1000, AE2000 (3), Pro Control Four, P100, RP2215-R (3), T6200, 3000A, plus lots more...

One of the A100 amps and the P100 preamplifier I bought NIB last year when a mom and pop shop in Orange County closed and cleared out the back room. Both are MTX SC. You can see it all here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...raftsmen+score
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

One of the A100 amps and the P100 preamplifier I bought NIB last year when a mom and pop shop in Orange County closed and cleared out the back room. Both are MTX SC. You can see it all here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...raftsmen+score
    Well heck, it's 2010 now, so I guess it's not "last year" that I bought them.
    Out.

Welcome and thanks for all the Soundcraftsmen info. It's a bonanza!
    Thanks.

I've got a boatload of SC amps:
    PCR800 (5)
    S800
    A2502
    Pro Power Three
    A100 (3)*
    A200 (2)*
    A400 (2)*
    Mucho toys to play with!

The final Soundcraftsmen amps, the Soundcraftsmen MTX A100, A200, and A400 (along with their pro counterparts) are the best values in Soundcraftsmen amplifiers.
    I definitely agree.

On the other hand if you are willing to do a little work the old ones can be improved specially if the output mosfets are fried.

The PP3 & 4 have an input board (not on the schematic) which serves as a signal amplifier which I removed and then I replaced the value of the feedback resistors to the same value the PP1, PCR800 and PM860 as in the schematic. Btw, the schematic does state the difference in feedback resistors between them.

I will post pics in a few minutes.

PRO POWER 3.

Notice the input board with a TL072 opamp which is one of the most replaced/hated opamps in audio.

Note: When this input board is bypassed the feedback resistors MUST be changed to the recommended values to increase the gain otherwise the output will not be as loud even at full volume. I prefer to bypass it because I prefer the least possible amount of components in the signal path.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A200 PRO barebones.

Also has an input/bridge board that is necessary for bridging but I use this from Rod Elliot's web site.

http://sound.westhost.com/project20.htm

Why? Because the amp can be bridged with 2 resistors instead of a whole circuit which affects sound.

Less is more.

A400 prototype just for eye candy.

No input/bridge board on this baby.

Clean powerful sound....cheap.

Am I going to get in trouble for posting so many pics?

BTW, there's no serial numbers on some of these because I bought 2 pallets of MTX-Soundcraftsmen gear which seemed to be leftover When they decided to shut it down which also explains the bare front panel.

And one of my setups.

Obviously the Pro-Reference Two uses the same front panel as the Pro-Power Four but other than no fan on the Reference, how do they differ?

Love the Pro-Control Four. My favorite pre-amp!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Obviously the Pro-Reference Two uses the same front panel as the Pro-Power Four but other than no fan on the Reference, how do they differ?

Hello,

The schematics for the output section for both amplifiers is almost if not identical even if the PCB boards look different.

The power supply and fan on the PP3-4 pushes it to 205W/CH at 8 ohms vs. 125W-140W/CH for the PR2.

The PCR power supply is a lot like a SMPS which everyone is using on the latest class d amps in the diy community but an older and awkward design.
    It will keep steady voltage (70-75V) to the output stages even if the voltage form the wall (AC) drops down to 80V.

Linear power supplies (PR2) tend to vary their output voltages as the AC line swings up and down.

I have a Dared SL2000A preamplifier in my bedroom running through a pair of A200s and have switched several times between it and the PC4 pre.

I got to say the PC4 sounds excellent for his age.

I saw one in very good shape go for $60 on ebay and it brought tears to my eyes not because it was cheap but because I couldn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Hello,

The schematics for the output section for both amplifiers is almost if not identical even if the PCB boards look different.

The power supply and fan on the PP3-4 pushes it to 205W/CH at 8 ohms vs. 125W-140W/CH for the PR2.

The PCR power supply is a lot like a SMPS which everyone is using on the latest class d amps in the diy community but an older and awkward design.
    It will keep steady voltage (70-75V) to the output stages even if the voltage form the wall (AC) drops down to 80V.

Linear power supplies (PR2) tend to vary their output voltages as the AC line swings up and down.

I have a Dared SL2000A preamplifier in my bedroom running through a pair of A200s and have switched several times between the 2 and I got to say the PC4 sounds excellent for his age.

I saw one in very good shape go for $60 and it brought tears to my eyes not because it was cheap but because I couldn't get it.

Nice set. Look a lot like my Pro Power Three/Pro Control Four set up, except you've got LEDs on the amp and all the switches stayed on the amp.

This little kit is driving my JBL L250s.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Nice set. Look a lot like my Pro Power Three/Pro Control Four set up, except you've got LEDs on the amp and all the switches stayed on the amp.

This little kit is driving my JBL L250s.
    Cool.

That's the same PP3 without LED's I took the picture of the input board.

I have the same eq in excellent condition in the closet.

Maybe I should sell it.

JBL 4645
    Wow like the Pro-Reference Two by soundcraftmen like the LED barograph display of fairy-lights.

no affiliation

For all the SoundCraftsman amp lovers:nice looking DDR1200 275wpc 8Ω

on the bay, no affiliation:

I'm a BGW/AB Systems fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundcraftsmen-D...item4ced11d769
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

A2801

Hi everyone,
    I was recently given this A2801 amp. Not working naturally - blew fuses even with bridge and boards disconnected. Finally fixed power supply tonight. Negative mains was connected to switch, with positive directly to fuse and no negative transformer connection. OOPS!
    I will not know the condition of the outputs till I connect the boards up. Can you please advise where to buy the matched Exicon's.
    Can you help me with a schematic for this amplifier.
    Thanks Miles

Thread Information