Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown PSA-2X - What the H???

Crown PSA-2X - What the H???

I finally picked up an amplifier to replace my ailing subwoofer amp. I got a Crown PSA-2XH from Craigs list for $230 (and a 4 hour drive). Other than "rack rash" and surface dirt, the amp played OK when demonstrated it through 4312s. (The guy also had some L46s and 4425s so can't be half bad. ) (He even offered me a free set of Blose 501s that needed new foams that I politely refused. )

I figured that with a damping factor >700, a slewing rate of 60 v/us in mono, and a very low noise floor, this would be a good amp to drive my W15GTI. Plus, it can drive the 5 ohm load in mono on those occasions when both the W15GTI and 2235 in the center channel are wired in parallel (e.g., listening to the Yamaha in the Roxy Theater setting that doesn't use the center channel).

Anyways, the front of the amp clearly says PSA-2XH and I can find no mention of the "H" on the Crown web site. The amp does have the optional balanced input.

Can anyone shed some light on this so I know what the "H" I got?

Thanks,

Todd

psa 2x

From the service manual.

"The PSA-2AX provides the same high quality performance and display as the PSA-2, but does not include the balanced input module for those who do not require it, the features or for those who wish to design an imput module of their own. This model with accept the standard PSA-2 balanced imput module (PSA-2MOD) if so desired."

Its an awsome amp for subs. I piced one up from another forum member and am very happy with it.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller
    From the service manual.

"The PSA-2AX provides the same high quality performance and display as the PSA-2, but does not include the balanced input module for those who do not require it, the features or for those who wish to design an imput module of their own. This model with accept the standard PSA-2 balanced imput module (PSA-2MOD) if so desired."

Its an awsome amp for subs. I piced one up from another forum member and am very happy with it.

Allen
    This one says PSA-2XH. It is the "H" that I can find no reference too.

I did note that the optional balanced module may be a little different in that it appears to have cover stickers where the gains should be. Glad they make good sub amps. Figured they would.

Thanks

They had different letter designations back then to indicate which options the amp had.

The fully loaded PSA-2 had the ladder type LED display on the front, instead of the three sets of LED,s and the other letter would indicate whether it had the balanced input module on the back.

All of mine have the balanced input modules, its a very useful thing, it offers gain control, hi pass filtering, and totally adjustable compression, with variable threshold and release.

Most of mine have the stock three LED fcront panel display, and 2 have the ladder display. The ladder display is nice, but adds nothing to the amp sonically.

What you got is a PSA-2. They kick, and sound clean on subs. Durable amp. As for the gain trims on the balanced input card being removed, seems like that might have been an aftermarket mod, some companies took them out, and replaced them with a fixed resistor. Ive seen Showco modded amps this way. I prefer having the gain pot, and being able to do whatever I need to.

But, it is a PSA-2, a great amp for subwoofer duty.

scottyj

Oops

Sorry missed the H part. Like scott said its just the different options. Again you'll like this amp on subs.

Allen

Something i had posted on another forum sometime ago>>>>

OK, its really simple! All the amps are basically PSA-2,s!

The letters only indicate extra options.

1. SA-2. Consumer hi fi version with RCA inputs, ladder led display, and milled aluminum knobs.

2. PSA-2. The amp. 1/4in inputs, no bal input module.

3. PSA-2X. Amp with balanced input module.

4. PSA-2DX. Amp with both balanced input module and ladder led display.

They all say PSA-2, and if they have the options you will be able to see them.

I had forgot about this, some others had asked way back when.........

scottyj

RIP 2009
    That "H" isn't one of those "Hospital" amps, is it?

John

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Something i had posted on another forum sometime ago>>>>

OK, its really simple! All the amps are basically PSA-2,s!

The letters only indicate extra options.

1. SA-2. Consumer hi fi version with RCA inputs, ladder led display, and milled aluminum knobs.

2. PSA-2. The amp. 1/4in inputs, no bal input module.

3. PSA-2X. Amp with balanced input module.

4. PSA-2DX. Amp with both balanced input module and ladder led display.

They all say PSA-2, and if they have the options you will be able to see them.

I had forgot about this, some others had asked way back when.........

And the "H"...?

I wasnt able to find "H" suffix listing, but there was an H!

It isnt a hospital or industrial model though. Amps made for medical and industrial applications used the Techron, and Gradient names.
    scottyj

So, Todd, have you hooked it up to your subs yet? If so, how is it thus far?
    scottyj

Hey Toddalin,

I left a message asking the ID question to Crown Tech Support. Hopefully they can clear this up, if there is an answer. I went through the Crown Audio website and technical literature about the PSA-2 series amps and couldn't find any -H reference either. Interesting.

Regards,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    So, Todd, have you hooked it up to your subs yet? If so, how is it thus far?
    Not yet.

First thing I did was to take off the face and take the front apart for a thourough cleaning and I painted the top bar in black (from its anodized aluminum color) to help with the rack rash.

Of course in replacing the front panel circuit board, there is a glass diode (Lucky D113) right next to the nut that holds the board and simply touching it with the wrench was enough to break the glass. I replaced it with a regular 1-amp 50 volt diode (schematic shows that the diode is used in the indicator LED and only carries 15 volts). I'll reassemble it after the paint hardens and probably try it out later today.

Taking our equipment cabinet apart to replace the existing amp is a two person operation.

I`m thinking the "H" suffix may indicate high power version, as Crown knew very well of mods done by Showco, Clair Bros, and Walter Boho of Boho Labs NJ. Back when, if you called crown, and asked them about these mods, they would recommend Boho,s high power mods to you.

At some point, Crown may have even began to offer this as an option, I`m not sure, but, somehow, I seem to remember vaguely, the H designation for high power.
    scottyj

latteboy

psa-2xh troubles

I just picked up a psa-2xh out of someone's trash. It doesn't work but its incredibly simple inside so I would like to fix it. A small transformer was loose inside and the shield for the balanced input section had come off but everything else looks fine. It powers up and all that but the red lights (IOC lights) turn on whether there's input or not and there isn't any output. It does this for both channels. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks
    Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by latteboy View Post
    I just picked up a psa-2xh out of someone's trash. It doesn't work but its incredibly simple inside so I would like to fix it. A small transformer was loose inside and the shield for the balanced input section had come off but everything else looks fine. It powers up and all that but the red lights (IOC lights) turn on whether there's input or not and there isn't any output. It does this for both channels. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks
    Taylor
    The schematics are available on-line through Crown. Follow the link:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/psa2schematics.pdf

Service manuals are also available at:
    http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

The XH (eXtended Headroom) series was made especially for ShowCo and has a beefier power supply and cord to reduce losses due to long power runs (so I've been told). These XH models must really be special and somewhat rare as I can find no literature on this specific model at the Crown site.

If you are having a problem, there is someone on this web site who repairs these models and has an appreciation for the fine product that they are.

Thread Information