Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LE10H-1 surrounds

LE10H-1 surrounds

Is it true that the surrounds are originally attached to the back of the cone??
    I just had mine done at a local "Authorized" JBL service center and they attached them to the front. Just bought them so I did not know. Is there any ill effect to be expected??? never mind glue stains all over the cone. This place has really gone to the toilet. I don't want to mention the name untill I can confirm....

Quote Originally Posted by infinityQ2 View Post
    Is it true that the surrounds are originally attached to the back of the cone??
    I just had mine done at a local "Authorized" JBL service center and they attached them to the front. Just bought them so I did not know. Is there any ill effect to be expected??? never mind glue stains all over the cone. This place has really gone to the toilet. I don't want to mention the name untill I can confirm....
    Yes, the originals were to the back of the cone. I'd be , too. Then I'd be at their service counter, like this: .

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    That's a bummer. I think Service Centers should probably notify the customer if they are going to modify the physical appearance of a transducer.

And glue all over a cone isn't cool at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Yes, the originals were to the back of the cone. I'd be , too. Then I'd be at their service counter, like this: .

je
    It's called NewEngland Speaker in Stoneham Mass. The Tech that used to do repairs for 20yrs or so recently passed away, He did great work. He replaced the surrounds on my L110s about 18yrs ago, attaching them to the back,and they are still fine today. They have a new tech that well I just don't know. He replaced the surrounds on my L65 woofers and glue is visable almost 3/4" below the surround not even uniformly. The bead around the cap must be 1/2" wide and far from even. I mentioned this to the owner and asked if the tech could be a little neater, his response,"he's gonna do what he's gonna do. What a rotten frickin attitude. I would have let loose right there but he is the only gig in town. What a frickin shame. Granted they only charge $35 per surround, Butttttttttttttttt. So besides appearence, having the surround on the front, any prolems?? They seem to sound fine...

It's called NewEngland Speaker in Stoneham Mass. The Tech that used to do repairs for 20yrs or so recently passed away, He did great work. He replaced the surrounds on my L110s about 18yrs ago, attaching them to the back,and they are still fine today. They have a new tech that well I just don't know. He replaced the surrounds on my L65 woofers and glue is visable almost 3/4" below the surround not even uniformly. The bead around the cap must be 1/2" wide and far from even. I mentioned this to the owner and asked if the tech could be a little neater, his response,"he's gonna do what he's gonna do. What a rotten frickin attitude. I would have let loose right there but he is the only gig in town. What a frickin shame. Granted they only charge $35 per surround, Butttttttttttttttt. So besides appearence, having the surround on the front, any prolems?? They seem to sound fine...
    There are other "gigs" in town. I use Pro Sound Services in Braintree Ma and they do a great job and are very easy to talk to with no attitude. I just brought a pair of 2231 in to be checked out they needed new dust caps, the first thing the tech said was the recone must have been done at Stoneham (and they were by the previous owner)as they were a mess. Also out in Springfield Ma a member here either owns a JBL shop or works at on he goes by Pelly3s you can try him I understand he does good work also.

Crosslinked thread

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=24762

Link is some notes on front/back surround mounting. From a performance perspective, the mounting of the foam isn't a huge deal. With a klippel test you could determine the better way to mount it. This would require two drivers, identical, one with the surround on top and one on bottom, though You couldn't determine this just by looking at a cone terminated one way unless you knew the behavior of the surround in a pretty detailed fashion. In any case, the bulk of the restoring force is provided by the spider. The surround is meant to allow relatively free excursion, where the centering and overexcursion prevention is determined in the vast majority by the spider.

Naturally, though, it would be nice to have kept the look stock, and the glue is a problem in itself, adding a little mass and selective damping. I'd demand a refund, and make a big stink with these jerks, for making a mess of your driver.

Obsolete
    So besides appearence, having the surround on the front, any prolems??
    Drivers that originally had the surround mounted on the rear of the cone had the offset optimized for rear mounting. Drivers that originally had the surround mounted on the front of the cone had the offset optimized for front mounting. Any deviation from this can result in incorrect software/hardware offset. - JBL
    They seem to sound fine...
    For the record, most consumers probably wouldn't know any better one way or another and that's probably a good thing. JBL does things that, taken together, optimize a specific driver for it's intended application. Whether or not an end user wants to attempt to retain performance as close to originally intended as possible is their own choice. That's why the choice of aftermarket recone kits as well as refoam kits exists.

Interesting tidbit: JBL has an entire room devoted to the storage of their "engineering specification" loudspeaker systems. Many of the low frequency transducers in those systems have suffered foam rot over the years rendering the transducers unusable. Will JBL repair them? "No, they can't be repaired. It is virtually impossible to restore them to engineering standard specification."

The rest of us just recone or refoam our drivers and go on our merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The rest of us just recone or refoam our drivers and go on our merry way.
    And on that note infinityQ2, you may want to look at Bo's fine thread on the subject.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

Its virtues so fine, it is both the cause of great joy & the reason for my JBL affliction. After reading it and re-reading it I refoamed my first driver & was hooked.

With this in mind you could probably do a better job then these Dauche-Bags, besides, one could derive great pleasure by not giving them further business with their friendly dispositions.
    With a little care and patience you could do a very nice job indeed.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    With a little care and patience you could do a very nice job indeed.
    I might add that Rick Cobb is an awesome source of help as well.

And Oh Ya I forgot to mention, He didn't use a 10" surround, he used a bigger one and lapped it

And Oh Ya I forgot to mention, He didn't use a 10" surround, he used a bigger one and lapped it
    That just added "lame" to the already established "lazy". Not acceptable.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    That just added "lame" to the already established "lazy". Not acceptable.

je
    Wish I had some good news butttt, I was listening to these L96s the other night and decided to light them up a little. The woofer that has the new surround started to "pop" and "buzz" during some heavy lows, the other woofer was fine. Does this mean he misaligned the voice coil during the shimming procedure??? And,, I hope I'm wrong, but the woofers in my L65s, that I had him resurround are attached to the front of the cone, is this wrong also.. YIKES

The woofer that has the new surround started to "pop" and "buzz" during some heavy lows, the other woofer was fine. Does this mean he misaligned the voice coil during the shimming procedure???

Sounds to me like the surround is not completely glued to the cone. If it is glued to the back of the cone, like it is supposed to be, then you'll have to remove the woofer, locate the unglued portions of the surround and reglue it. The person who did your refoam job should have the glue and be willing to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    Sounds to me like the surround is not completely glued to the cone. If it is glued to the back of the cone, like it is supposed to be, then you'll have to remove the woofer, locate the unglued portions of the surround and reglue it. The person who did your refoam job should have the glue and be willing to repair it.
    Like I mentioned in my 1st post he attached the surrounds to the front.I just double checked and they seem tight both on the cone and basket. I might have to find a new hobby if this ship keeps up, or follow the advice given by KT88lover.

Do you know if the L65 surrounds are supposed to be attached to the back, thankfully they work fine.

Do you know if the L65 surrounds are supposed to be attached to the back, thankfully they work fine.
    Yes, they are, so sadly he effed them up too (n.b., the sonic impact of front vs. rear has been oft debated here and among other "experts" as well as having been the subject of mixed messages from JBL themselves.)

Nonetheless, the guy clearly - and unfortunately for you - does shitty, piss poor work, and minimally should tell you if he's going to alter your drivers before just going ahead and doing so. I'd definintly go have a "conversation" with him!

Best,
    - Mike

Thread Information