Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Substitute for JBL L110

Substitute for JBL L110

Hi,

I now have at home this speakers, this are the first vintage speakers i have owned, and after few hours of listening to them i falled in love. But i must return them soon, or pay for them 500€, are they worthed or i should get different model, i am decited that they will be JBL. Cause i am from Slovenia, there isnt much choise for choosing. I can get only this pair for 500€, or 4311B for 700€, or L 100 Century for 280€.

Whats the best choise, they are all in mint condition and reconed and repaired.

Or what similar speakers u suggest for around 200-400€, cause i find the guy who can import me some pairs, i think he mention L 26...

Any suggestions are welcome, i listen most to the 70th rock, hard rock, some jazz here and there, and they will be partnered with Sony Esprit series and Project gramophone.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english.

Greets

Quote Originally Posted by zzak View Post
    I can get only this pair for 500€, or 4311B for 700€, or L 100 Century for 280€.

L 100 Century for 280€

that wud prolly be the best choice for the money from that group ...mebbe not the best speaker , but "bang for the buck" choice. First time JBLer's seem to love them.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I will buy them, but it is a chance they get sold, now they are at someone who test them and probably will buy them, hope not.

How are they compared to the L110? Similar sound or not?

I think the L110 is a much better sounding speaker than the L100, and I have both.

Are the L110s completely original? Can you post a picture of the drivers?

je

I can post them tomorrow, i think they are original, just the foam on all drivers was replaced.

I thought they were better, but the L100 are half of the price.
    Can u please tell me more difference beetwen them.

I have notice that i have too much bass with 110's, cause of the room and position, and i am not living in the house, so i cant listen very loud. I like taht bass, its godd but too much of it, will the 100's be better?

Quote Originally Posted by zzak View Post
    I can post them tomorrow, i think they are original, just the foam on all drivers was replaced.

I thought they were better, but the L100 are half of the price.
    Can u please tell me more difference beetwen them.

I have notice that i have too much bass with 110's, cause of the room and position, and i am not living in the house, so i cant listen very loud. I like taht bass, its godd but too much of it, will the 100's be better?
    The L100 is actually likely to give you more bass, the L110s are more accurate overall. It seems like you need to play with positioning, or employ some kind of EQ temporarily.

L110s = much more complex crossover, flatter response, better high frequency quality & extension. Replacement tweeters can be tough to find if damaged.

L100s = easier to re-sell, because they're more well-known. Easier to find spare parts, because more were sold & many other models used the same parts. Boomier bass and more forward midrange.

Just my opinions...

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I think the L110 is a much better sounding speaker than the L100, and I have both.

je
    I concur with je. The bass on the L100 is more boomy and the overall characteristic is some what on the harsh side, especially at moderate to high volume levels. Listener fatigue sets in soon. To alleviate the harshness on the L100, I have the brilliance set at 1 and the presence set at about 1.5. According to Zilch, when the brilliance is set so low, it reduces the output of the upper high frequencies. I can't hear them so it doesn't bother me. I have been using a new amplifier that has a very high dampening factor which has seemed to have calmed the boominess. Probably just my imagination.
    On the other hand I can listen for hours on end to the L110s, with the mid and hi controls set at flat, and not get tired of them. The L110 also has a very good soundstage.

Larry

No Contest!

L-110!!!!!

I have them both and the L-110 is my favorite!!!!

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!!!
    Scotty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Now i have the opportunity to get "Altec Lansing 205a" for around 100-150€, is that any good?

Thank u for all opinions, i am turning to 110's more and more...

Will post pics later, dont have time.

I just posted my first imressions of the L110 I just picked up on another thread - I wish I knew they were this good, I would have looked for a pair a long time ago....(I'm listening to Johnny Cash singing "Big John" as I type and its the best I've ever heard this song)

Pics as promised.

Is everything original, except foam?

One mid is damaged, but i cant here the difference, everything else is in mint condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

All the important bits are there, the tweeters especially look very good. The foam size is a bit suspect from that pic, but it's hard to tell. They look great overall.

je

поздравляю

Без перевода
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

WELL DONE!!!!

Those look great!!! There is NOTHING "wrong" with that mid dome! Don't touch it! Leave it as is!!!

Welcome to the L110 club!!! (there is NO secret handshake or member card as of yet!)

I KNOW you will really like them!!!!!

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

They were reconed at one of the best services in my country, so if the drivers are original everythings good

Congrats, quick question please, are the L112s (rectangular style pair), well regarded? thanks.

Thread Information