Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Project.

Summit Project.

Hi all ,

I have some summits sitting here in desperate need of help. Can anyone point me to drawings of the grills

TIA, Rich

How bad are they..pictures?

Please move this thread to DIY .

Thanks grumps,

Andy,

I'll get the thread moved and then start a thread. I'm not the owner, just the surgeon timber . He will introduce himself with a full history of his little darlings. I'll post pics later on in the new thread. They still have the original wax on the driver.

Rich

Hi Folks,

I am the owner of said speakers, they have great history, which I shall post in detail when I get more time.

A quick summary, is I aquired them about 20 yrs ago, sat in living room as those big speakers, surrounds on woofers disintergrated about 12 yrs ago. Since them they've been stored in the garage. Wife nearly threw them out about 10 yrs ago, I said "Ah sure we may as well keep them!" About 5 years ago found out what they actually are ( through this forum I might add) and was so happy that they did not end up in a skip.

Found Rich ( lovely guy!) through this forum, for I was interested in his 4345s, however when I showed pics of the l300s he convinced me I should stick with the l300s and give them what they deserved, a bit of TLC.

In the meantime I thought you may appreciate some pictures of the fellas. They look worse in the pics then in real life, believe me!.

Best

John
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Was your house hit by a flood or something...Rich always did like a challenge

Welcome.

The damage was done before I got them. Apart from the pic of the one really bad side, the other three are not to bad. Rich's opinion may differ on this

Br

John

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    looks like that sticker may be an old Mute records logo sticker...

here's another version from roughly the same time...

(i think Mute is london based)

Hello, John,

WOW! You've got some work ahead of you, Mate. But, rest assured, Rich was dead on the money, when he advised you to keep those Summit/L300's! I have lusted for a pair of them for 40 years, and when I finally scored a very nice pair, last year, I've been in heaven ever since!! I love them even more than when I first heard them, all those years ago! What's neat is that my wife loves them, too. I was originally planning to experiment with a 4 or even 5-way JBL design, all electronically crossed over, and I may still do that, sometime. But, after we got the L300's, we've been so very pleased with their sound, dynamic range, and looks, that I'm far less motivated to get moving on the other experimentation. We are planning to add a subwoofer, but in truth, the L300's sound just fine, exactly as they are, with no sub really needed, for most things. So, go for it, my Friend, and I have a feeling that, after all the dust has settled, and you have listening to what you've saved, you will be VERY glad that you did!! A tip 'o the hat to JBL Brother Rich, for helping you undertake this task. I've never had the pleasure to have met him, but those who have, speak very highly of him. Good on ya', Rich! Have fun, the both of you, and best of luck on your rehab of those neat old Summits!! Keeps us posted as to your progress, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (very happy owner of his own L300's!)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

It is indeed a Mute records sticker, I worked there for 20 years ( great company, Daniel Miller is a top man), the sticker on the speaker has "Mutee" on it, most likely it's from some party or backstage thingy I attended.

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    looks like that sticker may be an old Mute records logo sticker...

here's another version from roughly the same time...

(i think Mute is london based)

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the post, if I was not already convinced about their potential, you would certainly have persuaded me to change my mind. The comments from Rich were along the same lines.... " John, you will never regret bringing those fellas back to their former glory!".
    I eagerly anticipate their completion, shall take a while, however with them having sat in the garage for donkey's years, I am willing to wait.

Br

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hello, John,

WOW! You've got some work ahead of you, Mate. But, rest assured, Rich was dead on the money, when he advised you to keep those Summit/L300's! I have lusted for a pair of them for 40 years, and when I finally scored a very nice pair, last year, I've been in heaven ever since!! I love them even more than when I first heard them, all those years ago! What's neat is that my wife loves them, too. I was originally planning to experiment with a 4 or even 5-way JBL design, all electronically crossed over, and I may still do that, sometime. But, after we got the L300's, we've been so very pleased with their sound, dynamic range, and looks, that I'm far less motivated to get moving on the other experimentation. We are planning to add a subwoofer, but in truth, the L300's sound just fine, exactly as they are, with no sub really needed, for most things. So, go for it, my Friend, and I have a feeling that, after all the dust has settled, and you have listening to what you've saved, you will be VERY glad that you did!! A tip 'o the hat to JBL Brother Rich, for helping you undertake this task. I've never had the pleasure to have met him, but those who have, speak very highly of him. Good on ya', Rich! Have fun, the both of you, and best of luck on your rehab of those neat old Summits!! Keeps us posted as to your progress, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (very happy owner of his own L300's!)

Special Relationship !

its nice to be back with a nice little project

Thanks for the kind words everyone

I want just to thank John and Kim for the chance to work on these puppies.

I would have taken them part X on the 45's .

Did anyone see that thread with the replica 2308's ?

The woofs are on the way to Guido today- check the gauss and recone with 2235 Kit .

I'll post serial numbers and pics of components over the weekend

Rich

Its a walk in the park

If you saw the state of the 4333's that Rich rescued you would realise that your job is a breeze for the lanky fella. He has given you good advice.
    My little bit of help for what its worth , when it comes to the glass for the tops have your glass supplier cut the pieces from 10mm , the top edges are 12mm and a thin felt pad under makes up the difference.
    Mine cost 40 quid and the solidity is tasty. The originals were 6mm glass with a card and foam packer underneath that eventually settled down leaving the top edges proud.
    As you are getting a re veneer have you any thoughts on fancy woods. The world is your acorn ----

Best wishes mac

Veneer !

Mac ,

I have maddagascan and santos rose wood. Walnut was talked about though.

Maybe John can google Vale Veneers so both him and Kim can have a look at the vast choice .

Thanks for the glass tip .

Rich

Here is a pic that will help a little

Note that the top of the grille is flat and in line with the top. Re the conversation about the round over note the fault line at the veneer transition.
    I think the depth of the grille is 3" Note the glass has settled as we discussed.

Thread Information