Thread: Add tweeters on my JBL s3100???

Add tweeters on my JBL s3100???

I recently brought a pair of JBL s3100 horn speakers, would like to add the tweeters (JBL 077 or 075) , but I am not a DIY person, how and what is the easy way to add the tweeters on (external), can I just put the tweeters on the top of the speaker and connect the tweeter's +/- DIRECTLY to the S3100's +/- ???

My question may look stupid , but I read a lot of magazine fr Asia, people like to add the super tweeter's on the top to enhance the performance.

I also noticed that the sammi hf250 looks like the JBL077, any comments???it is only about 100 each.

If I need the crossover, pls suggest something easy and again I know nothing about DIY.,

Regards

Tom

John Warren

Is the hf250 the tweeter that was used in the 4344M? If so, this is not a true JBL driver since it was desinged by Harman Japan and built in China. I have never heard that driver, but I would be suspect.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

I know 2 owners of S3100 that add the same tweeter:2405 with N7000 X-over and that sound great.The upper band is cleaner with more detail.
    The tweeters were simply put on the top of each S3100 with special support(One made of MDF wood ,the other was thin folded steel plate)

S3100 tweeter

I too am somewhat intrigued by the idea of adding a (super) tweeter to my 3100's. Mostly though, I must admit, because I also have seen others, most notably Jean Hiragua do so. I do wonder though, why anyone would bother as I have the published test report from Hi-Fi World July 1996. This test was on the S2800 which uses the 2426H in conjunction with the 12" Bass driver. The report states that "In the near field the horn gave a near ruler flat response from around 900 hz up to 16 kHz".

My question is this: How far out does the 2405 extend? Also, from what I can tell the crossover mentioned being the N700, a passive x-over, what is the xover frequency used?

Another posibility that might be salient today is the use of a supertweeter, no ? Tannoy make a couple of interesting models with built in x-overs and level adjustments, but not cheap !

Finally I have another related question which is that of reflected sound versus direct. As the 3100 has CD lens the sound tends to be quite focused and as such we do not hear much of the 'room' and subsequently miss, I believe, a bit of air. Would the inclusion of a tweeter help to ameliorate this somewhat ? This might be a moot point if the tweeter being used is a horn type, no?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Bernard

Re: S3100 tweeter

Originally posted by Bernard Wolf
    How far out does the 2405 extend?
    2405 Specifications
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks Bo - guess I should have tried here myself instead of relying on others. Interesting how the 2405 has a very wide horizontal dispersion. This could be intersting. The problem for me here in Montreal is trying to hear something like this before commiting... oh well. I have never heard any other JBL than my own 3100, which brings up the question I have asked here before, but I will try again:

Locanti - you have what appears to be a 'vintage-ish' JBL system and you have heard the 3100. How similar or not are they ? I am very curious to know as I am thrilled with mine and would like to have some point of reference.

Thanks again - Bernard

My system is only a pair of 4333a modified with D216 front horn loaded (Home made horns),175 drivers bolt on P.AUDIO PH-3220 horns(An Indonesian manufacturer,but their horns are fine)in place of 2420A and FOSTEX FT-90H super tweeters in place of 2405A.It keeps the "studio monitors" sound:transparency and dynamic.I get a clearer and detailed sound in the upper band(Up above 10Khz) and a deeper bass respons (X-over frequency is 320Hz instead of 800Hz ) than with the original 4333A.Very impressive as freinds said.But it's focused(Even with 90X40 horns).

The S3100 was built for HIFI sound and domestic areas,most of all for constant stereo effect.You can not compare.It's a very dynamic sound too with a very wide sound image,stressless and "easy" to listen to,but I must sai that they are no so detailed and clean than "monitors" and have too much low mid (Can I say "presence"?)for me.The best way I listened a pair of S3100 was in a big living room(12metersX10meters and 3.5 meters high) with the adding of 2 subwoofers(KLIPSCH 15" driver I remember,but I don't know the name)+2405H tweeters.With Krell amps, the sound was great.

By adding a super tweeter, the sound became cleaner with more details but only in the center field.(Sorry for my english)

Thanks a million Locanti - finally I get some kind of a reference. I realy must try to find someone locally with monitors so I can compare for myself. The 3100 IS easy to listen to and as I have a rather large room - approx 650 sq. ft - I find the bass to be just about right although deeper yet would be better. Thanks again and take note that your english is just fine.

Bernard

Thread Information