Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp first or last????

Amp first or last????

What is the proper method to turn off and turn on a system with a preamp and an amp?

Thanks fellas,

RIGGED

I have always turned the amp on last and off first. Has never failed me.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    I have always turned the amp on last and off first. Has never failed me.

Yank

Thanks for the info Yank, I knew there was a method, now if only I can remember that after downing 9 brews.

RIGGED

another way to think about it...

make sure the power amp is off before doing -anything- with the preamp
    power switch. (on -or- off)

Spend a buck-and-a-half on something like this and you won't have to remember the sequence!

No affiliation, just interested:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...product=AC120S

Quote:
    The AC120S Power Conditioner/Sequencer is a universal AC distribution control center that is capable of five major functions: (1) 10 stage microprocessor controlled SEQUENTIAL power-up, (2) 10 AC outlets/stages, (3) Voltage spike protection, (4) LED tube rack lighting, and (5) Pure Power dual EMI/RFI AC line filtering. Without question, the AC120S is the most advanced and comprehensive unit providing protection, while making the AC voltage operation of your rack more controllable and failsafe. No rack should be without the AC120S.

Spend a buck-and-a-half on something like this and you won't have to remember the sequence!
    Geez man where's the fun in that?? Nothing like a nice loud POP to scare the daylights out of you. You only have to do it once and you will never do it again. Take it from someone with experience.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

heh... thought of that (sequencer) too, but sounded like change would = beer money
    (that, and I like my amps plugged into the wall)

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    You only have to do it once and you will never do it again.
    I knew I was defective...

I've managed to do it about once every other year or so since my first active multi-amped system back around 1979 or so.

Depending on the amp, sensitivity of the speakers etc... it can really wake you up! Never damaged anything though.

Widget

Never damaged anything though.
    Hello Widget

Do you remember the old Dynaco ST-400?? I had just built the kit and hooked it up to my old Sansui 2000X, which had pre-outs. I did the turn on wrong, the Dynaguard lights came on and I thought my woofers were in the next room. It didn't damage anything either but oh man what a way to start with your new amp.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I've run Crown amps exclusively for close to 35 years. I've never hooked them up any way other than powered through the power switch of the pre-amp. I've never had any turn-on, or turn-off problems. No blown speakers. No strange noises. This includes D-Series amps (4) as well as the later PS-series (4) which have turn-on-delay protection built-in. I must just be lucky!

I understand what you all are saying and I see how damage is possible, as well as preventable. It must just be a characteristic of certain amp designs and not others. I also realize Big Yank's instructions are the short form of what JBL takes an entire section to point out in every JBL-Urei amp owner's manual:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I've run Crown amps exclusively for close to 35 years. I've never hooked them up any way other than powered through the power switch of the pre-amp. I've never had any turn-on, or turn-off problems. No blown speakers. No strange noises. This includes D-Series amps (4) as well as the later PS-series (4) which have turn-on-delay protection built-in. I must just be lucky!

I understand what you all are saying and I see how damage is possible, as well as preventable. It must just be a characteristic of certain amp designs and not others. I also realize Big Yank's instructions are the short form of what JBL takes an entire section to point out in every JBL-Urei amp owner's manual:

Well, I followed Yank's instructions and everything worked fine. The real test is tonight-it's Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIGGED

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Geez man where's the fun in that?? Nothing like a nice loud POP to scare the daylights out of you. You only have to do it once and you will never do it again. Take it from someone with experience.

Rob
    My Crown PSA-2HX pops through the W15GTI sub every time I turn on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    My Crown PSA-2HX pops through the W15GTI sub every time I turn on the system.
    You need to get rid of the nasty old Crown stuff. Send it to me!

But really, how it that helped by the turn-on sequence?? It's not, is it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You need to get rid of the nasty old Crown stuff. Send it to me!

But really, how it that helped by the turn-on sequence?? It's not, is it.
    The aux power plug on back of the Yamaha turns on the surge protector relay that then turns on all equipment that would normally come on with the system excluding antenna selectors/VCR/Cable box that are always on. But I think the first few moments of the Yamaha are muted and mayby this makes a small pop when it becomes active that is amplified by the Crown.

The thump out of the Sunfire is even bigger than that from the Crown. But that it triggered by the input signal being sensed. Sometime when watching late at night down real low, it will remain off, then trigger to life with a pop on a bass note/transient.

if anyone is using a driverack unit make sure your amps are off before powering down the driverack....if you dont you will hear a pop like none other.

Amps turned on LAST

Amps turned off FIRST

Thread Information