Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New L100 Foam Grill Inserts

New L100 Foam Grill Inserts

Some time ago, I purchased a pair of L100 foam grill inserts from forum member "sonofagun", which I love. Recently, I have noticed two other sellers of new L100 foam grill reproductions on that big auction site - "Foam trends" and "sculpted-foam-inovations". Does anyone know if these are two new companies, or does one of them have any connection to "sonofagun"?

Has anyone purchase the L100 grills from either of these companies and how do thier products rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphh View Post
    Some time ago, I purchased a pair of L100 foam grill inserts from forum member "sonofagun", which I love. Recently, I have noticed two other sellers of new L100 foam grill reproductions on that big auction site - "Foam trends" and "sculpted-foam-inovations". Does anyone know if these are two new companies, or does one of them have any connection to "sonofagun"?

Has anyone purchase the L100 grills from either of these companies and how do thier products rate?
    I got a pair of the L100 grills from Lansing member "Indycraft" (ebay ID Foam-trends" - homepage - http://www.foamtrends.com/) and was quite pleased with them - he does the classic colors, and other members here have said good things about them. I opted for a new color of charcoal grey instead of the original Blue/orange/brown colors ...

See -
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=35
    as well as
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...0&postcount=38
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

same old song

the seller on ebay has changed his name a few times for whatever reason(s)...

The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay.

User ID
    Effective Date
    End Date

sculpted-foam-innovations
    Dec-06-08
    Present

foam-trends
    Aug-17-08
    Dec-06-08

jbl-s8r
    Jun-28-08
    Aug-17-08

americanwoodconcepts
    Dec-03-06
    Jun-28-08

Punch
    I need a pair of inserts for my L100s, and I was not sure if I should buy the "Lite" or the "Collector's" series. It is a $75 difference which seems steep for just spraying more paint on them....which they said is the difference. I was not sure how labor intensive it was or if the paint is real $$. Anyone have any experience with the difference between the two?

They had orange foam on there originally, so I would like to return them to their former glory. The speakers are absolutely beautiful.....I just bought them on Saturday, but I am not sure if I am going to keep them or sell them.

If you want them to be as close to original as possible I would go with the "collector series"... I did. If you plan on using them as loudspeakers, i.e. want to really listen to them, I'd take the grilles off.

As for the cost differential? Who knows? I do know from my own experience, this foam sucks up the paint like you wouldn't believe... high quality paint is damned expensive. As for the labor, I don't know how these guys can make them and sell them painted for as inexpensively as they do.

Widget

Punch
    I think you are right. I have no idea how you can fabricate an OEM product so accurately and sell it for that price...I think it is great, but I was not sure what the real difference was and if it was worth the $75. It sounds like it is.

I did not think about how much paint the foam would soak up...good point.

I just need to know where to find that orange paint so I can paint my L166 grills....hmm

Grill inserts from "Sculpted-foam-innovations"

In August ’09 I ordered three pairs of L100 inserts from “Sculpted-foam-innovations”
    (via Ebay) – one pair in each colour: Brown, Blue and Orange (of course!).

They arrived very well packed: Each pair in its own box and each insert in its own bag inside the box. Boxes safely closed and with USPS track-&-confirm# by mail.

The quality of the inserts is very good: Precisely cut, size fits nicely, well-matched colours, painted evenly etc.

It's clear to see that the Orange ones needed much more paint: Orange being the brightest colour of the three - the foam is dark charcoal-gray.
    One can - very slightly – glimpse (or rather sense) the dark foam colour underneath – but they look great and very much as I remember the ones I had back in 1976 (didn’t have the Blue or Brown ones – until now ).

I paid USD 80,-/pair for the Brown and Blue ones and USD 120 for the Orange ones.
    That is a very fair price, I think.

The guy selling them – Scott – has been fine communicating & dealing with. I think he paints them himself.

All & all I can recommend “Sculpted-foam-innovations” (no affiliation).

PS: They also sell LE-25 foam rings and JBL badges (for the inserts) I got some of both – also OK.

Sculpted-foam-innovations - Communication - OBS

In addition to my previous posting about communication with “Sculpted-foam-innovations”:

After I received the inserts, I’ve written to them with my positive feed back – and also asked some questions about possible future business/orders with them.

A couple of weeks (and reminders) have passed – and I’ve heard nothing.

The inserts are still OK – but I advise you to secure good and frequent communication, if attempting to do business with Sculpted-foam-innovations.
    L16 Decade/L26 Decade/L36 Decade/L65 Jubal/L86/L96 Delta/L100 Century/L110/L150a/L166 Horizon - wanting L300 Summits...

Check out our website www.foamtrends.com , we would be happy to work with you. We have a lot of very satisfied International customers and we are both Lansing Heritage members. Bart (Indycraft) and Roger (RWW1951).

What makes sculpted foam innovations superior to foamtrends is that the grilles are made to the exact specifications of the originals. Furthermore the foamtrends collectors version use a paint that slightly dampens the sound. I've bought grilles from both companies and have to say I prefer sculpted innovations.

Quote Originally Posted by sperkerchef View Post
    What makes sculpted foam innovations superior to foamtrends is that the grilles are made to the exact specifications of the originals. Furthermore the foamtrends collectors version use a paint that slightly dampens the sound. I've bought grilles from both companies and have to say I prefer sculpted innovations.
    Well - I have bought a couple pairs of foams from Foamtrends and they have been professional all the way, have shipped quickly, and their products have been an ace fit on both the L100s I fixed up and sold, and the L200s I still enjoy.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by sperkerchef View Post

I too have also purchased L100 grilles from Foamtrends and have not noticed any dampening of the sound. If they did it would be a good thing, since the L100 is overly bright and forward with the brilliance and presence controls in the flat position anyway.

Larry B.

I can personally say that Sculpted Foam Innovations offers a superior product - he is a total JBL enthusiast. He has been out and about lately because of a massive move to Washington state and is a serious JBL guy, enthusiast, listener and collector. He is back up on eBay right now and his products cannot be beat - most of his business is to Japan where they are really serious about their L100s - so much so he sells the grills to a guy who makes them from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by CountD View Post
    I can personally say that Sculpted Foam Innovations offers a superior product - he is a total JBL enthusiast.
    I was part of the team that helped the guys at Foamtrends develope theirs... they seem to be an exact replica of the original samples we managed to find... I can imagine both being equally excellent, but one clearly superior to the other?

...he is a total JBL enthusiast.
    Who here isn't?

Widget

I can personally say that Sculpted Foam Innovations offers a superior product - he is a total JBL enthusiast. He has been out and about lately because of a massive move to Washington state and is a serious JBL guy, enthusiast, listener and collector. He is back up on eBay right now and his products cannot be beat - most of his business is to Japan where they are really serious about their L100s - so much so he sells the grills to a guy who makes them from the ground up.
    Superior? Based on what measurement?

I can tell you firsthand that he was a complete flake when he wanted to buy my L100A's a few years ago and jerked me around on an already agreed to price, shipping cost and was also slow to communicate. I finally nixed the deal because I didn't feel comfortable dealing with him after all the games.

^ all true and matter of fact ^

-- potential feelings hurt comment deleted --

Thread Information