Thread: Sonic Holigraphy??

Sonic Holigraphy??

Being the proud owner of a Phase Linear 2000 pre-amp and a fan of Bob Carver's designs, been contemplating trying out one of his Sonic Holigraphy pre-amps...

And I'm wondering if the Phase 4000 pre was a first attempt at something similiar to this with its Auto-Correlation "joystick" controller...

Was wondering what those who have tried a Sonic Holigraphy has thought about the idea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_holography

It "sounds" logical, lol, pardon the pun...
    JBL L15
    Parting Out>>JBL Athena S99

The Series II were just sleeker and slightly improved versions of the previous model, both are still "good", I was referring more to the later units built under the Carver name... like the C-1... thanks for the info ./
    JBL L15

Years ago, I upgraded from a 40 watts/channel Kenwood integrated amp to my first Crown power amplifier. So, I was in the market for a preamp to drive the Crown and I was able to acquire a new Carver CT-24 Preamp/Tuner for about $200. I bought this unit for its price, specs and features and not because it had “Advanced Sonic Holography”. I have tried playing around with this feature. But, I have found that I really don’t care much for the “Sonic Holography” effect. Oh, it really does alter the stereo image all right. My impression is that it moves the sound stage from in front of you to inside your head. It is an effect that sounds very much like you are wearing headphones. But, “Sonic Holography” is not without some really strange artifacts. For example, Piano tracks will have a very uneven frequency response. Some piano notes will be reproduced much louder then normal and other notes are much softer then normal. And I think it has a lot to do with how the piano tracks were recorded and the resulting phase relationship between the two stereo channels. So, “Sonic Holography” really does play havoc with these piano tracks. Also, you are always aware of some very strong phase cancelations going on, which give you an impression that you are listening to something that has been “Processed”.

All in all, the Carver CT-24 Preamp/Tuner has performed well in my system. So, I can recommend it as a good inexpensive Preamp/Tuner. Just leave the “Sonic Holography” turned off. One big plus for this unit is that it is capable of producing a larger then normal output signal, up to 9 volts peak to peak, if I remember right. So, it has the drive capability for +4dBu pro audio equipment, just limited to the typical unbalanced RCA outputs. Still, it’s a very good bang for the buck. Just leave the “Sonic Holography” turned off.

Baron030

I agree with Baron.

I had a C16 that I used for years and years. I played with the Sonic Holography a few times when I first got it and then never touched it again for all the years I used the preamp.

I used that preamp up until some of the switches became intermittent and then I had a hard time finding a replacement that sounded as good and was as versital. It was a nice looking piece of gear too. It took an Audio Research LS 25 to replace it.

Tony

As I figured, nothing more than a novelty and perhaps useful for some recordings... think I should just stick with the Phase 2000 I have now? Will there be any noticeable improvements in the Series II or one of his house named Carver pre's?
    JBL L15

My personal guess is that you might like one of the Carver brand preamps. It's been way too many years since I've heard any of the Phase Linear preamps to tell you for sure but the Carver preamps certainly should sound at least as good as the Phase Linear. Why would he go backwards?

I figure since it was his company it would be his choice on what compromises to make and during that period he took a lot of pride in taking on the high end companies with reasonably priced equipment. The preamp I had was designed in the US but made in Asia. That's partly how he saved money.

The Carver brand preamps have been overlooked by most people looking for stuff on the used market. You should be able to get one real reasonable and if you don't like it you can keep it for a backup or turn it over and get your money back.

Sounds like a plan!
    JBL L15

With some popular speakers of that time, I think the 2000's "hologaphic" effects could make [at least a perceived] improvement.
    I heard a system back around 1975 or 1976...
    Thorens table/Rabco linear arm/Stanton 681eee, Phase Linear 2000, four Bose 901 Series II speakers, two Phase Linear 700 power amps.
    With the four Bose, (and plenty of power to push them, which was a situation most likely rare with 901's), the 2000 made that system better.
    But... the resultant sound was more about the system than it was about the music played through it. Impressive in its own unique, even bizarre ways. Phil Spector would have liked it, I'm sure.
    I later got ahold of the Expander/Autocorrolator unit (PL 1000?). On heavily compressed LP's and FM material the expander could sometimes give sound more punch. On an LP of average recorded quality, the autocorrolator would acceptably reduce noise when judiciously applied. Other LP's on which "gain riding" had been employed during the recording process, the noise gates in the various spectral bands could obviously be heard opening and closing and the gain riding was very apparent.
    Two examples of this that stood out (and I can still recall) were "Breezin" by George Benson, and Lee Hazelwood/Nancy Sinatra's "Some Velvet Morning", although without the Phase Linear unit in use the latter always sounded great.
    I used the autocorrolator section only for a lot of recording projects, in various sections of the signal chain, with excellent results.
    Another "Sonic Holography" two thumbs down" was a Sony receiver that was given to me, which produced an amazing surround effect on just two speakers. However, after a short time the sound produced was too annoying to listen to, so I passed the unit along free to someone.
    The CD "BEST OF CHESKY CLASSICS & JAZZ AND AUDIOPHILE TEST DISC/VOL 3" has some amazing sonic effects that DO work. I recommend listening to it. If what they use is "Sonic Holography", then when Chesky does it it seems to be OK, even outstanding.

BEST OF CHESKY CLASSICS & JAZZ AND AUDIOPHILE TEST DISC/VOL 3
    1. Africando - Ana Caram
    2. Out of This World - Livingston Taylor
    3. Wave - Leny Andrade
    4. 'Winter' from The Four Seasons - Connecticut Early Music Festival Ensemble
    5. Grandmother - Rebecca Pidgeon
    6. Battery Park - Orquesta Nova
    7. I Cover the Waterfront - Laverne Butler
    8. Horse I Used to Ride - Sara K.
    9. Con Alma - Fred Hersch
    10. Num Pagode Em Planaltina - Badi Assad
    11. Ave Verum Corpus - Westminister Choir
    12. Announcement/Artificial Stereo Demonstration - John Henry
    13. Mono Mike
    14. Artificial Stereo
    15. Xy Cardiod Technique
    16. Xy and Added Ambience