Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best amp for JBL 4338 ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best amp for JBL 4338 ?

My amp set up start to date now and I am afraid I will have to upgrade soon.

At the moment I used a french JDF-AUDIO amplifier model HQS2400 upm. this unit offer 200w per chanel and is dated 1994. 15 years means that components are tired !

I was thinking to purchase a new one or what else ?
    on first or second hand any way. I wish the budget do not exceed 10000$

JMF-AUDIO model HQS6002
    HALCRO model DM38
    MARK LEVINSON model 431

Do you think thazt's crazy money ? You must consider that the JDF-AUDIO amplifier is an oldest version of the JMF-AUDIO
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards Stephane

What do you think? Is it cheaper to find a newer unit (used) with unknown problems, or,
    to pay someone to go through your existing amp and refresh it by replacing aging components (usually caps)??

Quote Originally Posted by caladois View Post
    My amp set up start to date now and I am afraid I will have to upgrade soon.

At the moment I used a french JDF-AUDIO amplifier model HQS2400 upm. this unit offer 200w per chanel and is dated 1994. 15 years means that components are tired !
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Reno Hi-Fi
    Last edited by grumpy; 04-16-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: or a local dealer... didn't realize they don't ship some items outside the US

Pass labs is an other alternative as well.
    Regards Stephane

Yes, that was the primary point... Not necessarily buying new was the other point.

Reno Hifi does not ship outside the USA

You can use just about any amp on those speakers.

It really comes down to how much $$ you want to part out.

jomina
    Quote Originally Posted by caladois View Post
    this unit offer 200w per chanel and is dated 1994. 15 years means that components are tired
    They're barely run-in. Get them serviced by the manu and run them for another 15~20 years. My Sansui integrated is getting on for 25 years old and works (and measures) fine. Leave the audiophoolia at the door...
    FWIW, the best sounding 4343s I ever heard were run with a Technics 1210 and a very mid-range Sansui integrated.
    The really important component was the owner's world-class collection of 60s/70s soul, jazz and funk.

Quote Originally Posted by jomina View Post
    They're barely run-in. Get them serviced by the manu and run them for another 15~20 years. My Sansui integrated is getting on for 25 years old and works (and measures) fine. Leave the audiophoolia at the door...
    FWIW, the best sounding 4343s I ever heard were run with a Technics 1210 and a very mid-range Sansui integrated.
    The really important component was the owner's world-class collection of 60s/70s soul, jazz and funk.
    Hear Hear !!!

It's about the music after all. If you've got more into your gear than your music collection, well, maybe your priorities are not where they need to be...

The best amp for the 4338 is the one *you* think sounds best. Maybe it's a 40 year old tube amp, a 20-year old integrated, or some modern eye-candy audiophile stuff. Let your ears decide, not us. But do tell us what you ended up with so we can be sure to put that on our audition lists the next time we're in the same boat.

For the record, I do not think a 15 year old amp is anywhere near close to worn-out or tired unless it used sub-standard components.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post

If you've got more into your gear than your music collection, well, maybe your priorities are not where they need to be...
    ... gonna need a calculator for this one. Yup - gonna be close. Now does this include all gear I've ever purchased, or just the current set-ups???

You make a very compelling point, though personally I prefer not to think about how much exactly I've spent on either the gear or the music collection...

Best,
    - Mike

The two big amps in my setup are 25 years old, were purchased for about a tenth of the price of when they were new and they have never been touched. Still going strong!

Allan.

p.s. dont just presume they are getting tired. If you like them, get them serviced.

Thanks for comments. So, all I need is to test differents amps on my set up
    Regards Stephane

A person on Audio Review gives great reviews for a Mcintosh MC 402 for his/hers JBL 4338.

I knew that JBL was oftenly associated with Mcintosh amplifier. But, my knowledge show me that response of Mcintosh was a bit too smooth in my mind.
    My last experience with a vintage MC2600 was a desaster.
    Regards Stephane

I hope mine is better. I just bought ( from Audiogon ) the MC 402 & C46. They will be hooked up with JBL S2600 speakers. For better or worse, that will be it for now as we are buying some investment property in Florida. Marantz SACD will be finish the arangement.

That's 2 months now, and I am very happy with the sound delivered.
    Full 15 inch controlled,, nice dynamic and full details. This amp is a good value.
    Regards Stephane

Thread Information