Thread: Technics Su-9600 pre-amp

Figge

Technics Su-9600 pre-amp

is it as good as it looks or? any experience?

Regis
    From the perspective that we're both vintage audio fans, I'll have to defer to what's generally Technics gear is thought of here. While Technics did make some exceptional gear (their Turntables and Reel-to-Reels are very, very nice), most of their equipment is somewhat short of hi-fi and it's basically just "ok".

Try here:
    http://www.vintagetechnics.com

Some of their gear besides the well-known TT's and R2R's was really nice, but careful research should be done. The particular example you're looking at looks pretty good and was made from 1974 to 1977. What I'm starting to learn from the fellow members here is that the 1980's were really good for the separates as many US 'boutique' manufacturers put out some high quality gear that's a step up from the 70's technology. This goes for both amps and pre-amps. Take a look at Apt Holman, Sumo, GAS, Parasound and the like. I'm picking up a GAS Thalia pre-amp that I won on Ebay tonight as it's a local pick up.

Figge
    Hi regis!

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    most of their equipment is somewhat short of hi-fi and it's basically just "ok"..
    i agree completly! why i asked, cos it looked really nice and i thoght "hmm maybe panasonic or technics can make it too" and i do need a rack mount preamp

now what i do want is a crown pls2 or psl2 or whatever the model is.

I have a Technics SE 9600, the matching power amp for the preamp in discussion here.
    I have owned this beast since new in 1974.
    It has never been repaired and has never failed to work.
    All I can say is I have not found another amplifier that ever sounded better. Although, some have sounded close to the same.
    I know some of us have opinions and are down on Technics generally but with this 9600 series you need to keep an open mind.
    Over the years I have used many different preamps with it but I was never able to try the SU 9600.
    I would not expect it to perform any less than the power amp I have.
    I know in the audiophile world oneupmanship is played quite a bit regarding a persons ability to discern sound ands biases develop about certain brands and models. Just keep an open mind and if you ever get an opportunity to audition one of these, do so and decide for yourself.

technics

I have nothing bad to say about Technics stereo equipment.
    I build tube amps and, sure, there is a big jump in tonal quality, as with any tube type amp., but most systems can be dialed in to anything you want. Use eq's etc to get where you want, I think we all do.
    Look at McIntosh if you want a premo preamp. There are a ton of great preamps out there.
    However, for what they cost, My living room setup with the SV-V96 as the main amp is fabulous. It is loud and clean, pushed through an all JBL 'A and B' (there is no quad, dernit) speaker system. All speakers in my house are JBL, as are most speakers in my guitar amps. It will bang the walls with thunder as good as any amps I have in my house.
    I actually prefer FET style Sansui amps from the late 60's to the early 80's, for simulating tube amps.

I have 2 rooms with complete technics setups, including linear tracking turntables for my record collection. My music room and the LR.
    The Garage, work shop, and other 2 BR's have sansui 5000a's, with the 9000 series speakers.

Technics SU 9600 Preamp

I have a SU 9600. It was dead on one channel and unused for years. In the process of fixing it recently I discovered it was quite a good model. It did not measure too badly. Then I set about modifying it and now the performance is good. Distortion is all second harmonic and down to 0.003% after the mods at 2V out. I intend to now use it as my main preamp instead of an op amp one..

It is based on a 5 transistor design for the buffer amp which had a gain of 20dB. I dropped the gain cos it is too much for more modern stuff and this helps improve the sig/noise ratio.

I am working on it without schematics. So if you know how to get one....

A quick note on the matching SE 9600 power amp which I once had. It is not that good in my opinion. The bass is nice and warm but the rest is noticeably grainy. Looks impressive, weighs a ton. An old Audiolab or Quad leaves it for dust.

Thread Information