Thread: Finally powered up the 4350's today for the first time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finally powered up the 4350's today for the first time

Today the 4350's came to life after two long years and major dollars. MAN !!!! these things will blow your head off. Today was the first time I have heard an actual stock un-modified pair of 4350's.These get very LOUD with very little cone movement.

It was kinda funny and shouldn't admit it ,but when I put power to the rack I thought, MAN this thing is dead quiet no hum ,hiss , nothing!! ,then I remembered I still need to turn on the amps.There is a little hiss but no hum ect. I did wire a dedicated 20amp circuit just for the rack maybe that'll help some.

The only issue so far is there is no left side low output on the bryston 10B L-R. I replaced it with a M552 and both sides now work as they should.I looked thru the Bryston manual and didn't see anything I over looked or screwed up as far as settings,wiring ect.

Now Iam curious as to what Iam leaving on the table by using the M552 instead of the 10B L-R for now. The only thing Iam going to add is the Furman IT 20 ll or Equitech balanced power conditioner and a sequencer, probably a Furman PS-PRO series 2

Attach a picture...

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    Attach a picture...
    I just broke everything down, believe it or not and covered everything up and put it out of the way.I got pics on here and for some reason it is very hard to take pics and have them come out decent down here

I was listening to the 4350's today and the more I listened to it the more pissed I was getting with the ever dreaded ground loop humming. Does anyone have a 100% dead quiet system?I finally had enough so I decided to play around with it and see if I could isolate it and try to eliminate it.

Low and behold (atleast for now) I have this running almost dead quiet. I don't know if it is possible to have it 100% free of buzz,hum,ect but I'll give it a shot. Atleast it is almost tolerable now..(yeah sometimes Iam too picky for my own good).If I don't get it 100% I'll probably go the power conditioner and see if that'll get it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I was listening to the 4350's today and the more I listened to it the more pissed I was getting with the ever dreaded ground loop humming. Does anyone have a 100% dead quiet system?I finally had enough so I decided to play around with it and see if I could isolate it and try to eliminate it.

Low and behold (atleast for now) I have this running almost dead quiet. I don't know if it is possible to have it 100% free of buzz,hum,ect but I'll give it a shot. Atleast it is almost tolerable now..(yeah sometimes Iam too picky for my own good).If I don't get it 100% I'll probably go the power conditioner and see if that'll get it 100%.
    Hi Pete!
    I'll let you know how I make out, I also set up a 20 amp dedicated circuit just for the stereo equipment & grounded it with (6)-8' long cooper bars. I say I'll let you know because unfortunately since the project was completed lst july I have not re-assembled the stereo system (one project led to another)

I'll probably be back up and runing by june or there abouts & hopefully without surprises. Let us know how you fare with the power conditioner. I was thinkig about a furman as well, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. BTW, what is a sequencer & what does it do (merits/benefits?).
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hi Pete!
    I'll let you know how I make out, I also dedicated a circuit just for the stereo equipment & grounded it with (6)-8' long cooper bars. I say I'll let you know because unfortunately since the project was completed lst july I have not re-assembled the stereo system (one project led to another)
    Hopefully I'll be back up and runing by june or there abouts. Let us know how you fare with the power conditioner.

Hey Krunchy your ground system looks good from what I see, and I hope it functions as good as it looks. I think what Iam going to do now after looking at your project is wait on the power conditioner til I see the outcome on what you have going on.
    The remaining noise I have is very minimal but not dead quiet. I just want my system free of unwanted noise as possible and since I have about a 5th of what I bought the house for invested in this anything less to me is not acceptable.I'd rather go your route than the 1,500.00-2,000.00 for the power conditioner route.
    I already have this running on a 20amp dedicated circuit so all I'd have to do is run one ground line outside and drive poles in the ground as you did.I might even save alot by going your route if it pans out than the power conditioner route.---Pete

Hi Pete!
    BTW, what is a sequencer & what does it do (merits/benefits?).
    He probably is referring to the fact that many power conditioners have banks of outlets that are delayed or sequenced in the startup or shutdown process. Some also have current sensing outlets that can be set to tell if a component is in standby or full operation. For example, you turn on your power conditioner (or a triggering source), and *blink* your processor and sources turn on, then *blink* your power amps turn on. Turn the conditioner off, immediately your power amp shuts down, then the sources, then the processor. Something like that. Of course, some modern components don't like having power removed from them, they can lose their settings or mappings, or they are DVRs that want to be on all the time...you have to think that stuff out.

Hope that helps...

je

Hi Pete!
    I'll let you know how I make out, I also set up a 20 amp dedicated circuit just for the stereo equipment & grounded it with (6)-8' long cooper bars. I say I'll let you know because unfortunately since the project was completed lst july I have not re-assembled the stereo system (one project led to another)

I'll probably be back up and runing by june or there abouts & hopefully without surprises. Let us know how you fare with the power conditioner. I was thinkig about a furman as well, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. BTW, what is a sequencer & what does it do (merits/benefits?).
    Why would you have to ground the outlet box when the main panel is grounded? At least I hope it is! I would think a single ground done right would be what you would want?

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

What about the power amps, Are they up to spec ???

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What about the power amps, Are they up to spec ???
    For the highs I have a Pass Labs X150 and it is good to go, no issues
    For the lows Iam using a Crown K2 also good to go no issues.
    I also have a Yamaha PC4002M I can use for the lows which is also good to go and without any issues.

I'll play around with trying to eliminate the remaining noise and then will get a balanced power conditioner if that's what it will take to lower the noise farther. I can only hear a little hum but have to be right up to the speaker to hear it. It's a process and I'll stay at it. It'll be next weekend til I get another chance to tinker with it any more.

hosee
    Neanderthal, I saw that you sent a message previously and tried to answer but it was some time after your message.

I bought my original 4350's at a Home and Garden show here at the Salt Palace in (approx) 1973-4 for $1500.00. They were in the gray cabinets with black grill. I had buyers remorse and sold them to a friend who had also bought a pair when I did (giving him 4 speakers which he still has). I later received a call from a salesman at Broadway music for me to come look at a pair, which I did. I thought they looked real good (oak finish with blue grill) so I bought them (about 1974) for $2500.00. As I remember, the Oak veneer cost was about $300.00 additional. I still have them and still original (except for moving one 077 to the other side of the speaker to increase separation). I have had the woofers reconed by Performance audio. Sounds like I am being a little wordy.

I use a Dod 835 crossover and a center channel with a 2202, 375 and 077 and a 3107 crossover.

I use an Alesis Matica 900 to drive the 15" speakers and Alesis Matica 900 also to drive the 2202, 2440 and 077. An Alesis RA 500 drives the center speaker.

Some might say that my listening area is not ideal and probably overkill but we enjoy it. Hope you have many long hours enjoying your new speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by hosee View Post
    Neanderthal, I saw that you sent a message previously and tried to answer but it was some time after your message.

I bought my original 4350's at a Home and Garden show here at the Salt Palace in (approx) 1973-4 for $1500.00. They were in the gray cabinets with black grill. I had buyers remorse and sold them to a friend who had also bought a pair when I did (giving him 4 speakers which he still has). I later received a call from a salesman at Broadway music for me to come look at a pair, which I did. I thought they looked real good (oak finish with blue grill) so I bought them (about 1974) for $2500.00. As I remember, the Oak veneer cost was about $300.00 additional. I still have them and still original (except for moving one 077 to the other side of the speaker to increase separation). I have had the woofers reconed by Performance audio. Sounds like I am being a little wordy.

I use a Dod 835 crossover and a center channel with a 2202, 375 and 077 and a 3107 crossover.

I use an Alesis Matica 900 to drive the 15" speakers and Alesis Matica 900 also to drive the 2202, 2440 and 077. An Alesis RA 500 drives the center speaker.

Some might say that my listening area is not ideal and probably overkill but we enjoy it. Hope you have many long hours enjoying your new speakers.
    Hey if your system works for you and you are happy ,overkill or not then that's what counts. That would be great to have two pair of 4350's crankin. I'd have to have hearing aids within the first week of listening to 'em.
    That first pair of 4350's you bought for $1500.00 in 1974 sounds cheap by today's standards.If you believe inflation calculators it compares like this roughly:

What cost $1500.00 in 1974 would cost $6478.94 in 2008.
    What cost $2500.00 in 1974 would cost $10798.23 in 2008.

Thread Information