Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet threats

JBL Dog

Internet threats

It has been recommended that you disconnect your computer(s) from the internet by midnight tonight and don't connect again until midnight April 2. I'm not talking just logging on. Unplug your modem, disconnect eathernet cable, etc.

Read on:

http://news.aol.com/article/conficke...ril-1%2F402022

Make sure your Windows updates are all current.
    Run any Ad-Ware software you may have.
    Make sure your Malware software is current.
    And, same for your antivirus software.

Updates for these programs are issued hourly, in some cases, so make sure you are current.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Updates for these programs are issued hourly, in some cases, so make sure you are current.
    Apparently, conficker blocks you from getting to the Symantec or MacAfee websites - it doesn't want you to fix an infected machine - so if you try these link and can't get there, you may have a problem!

http://www.mcafeesecure.com/

http://www.symantec.com/

Or get a freakin' MAC already!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for the update Dog and the great advice Bo. Just as one added piece, ensure your firewall is operating properly.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Or get a freakin' MAC already!
    Go ahead, please, keep advertising for them! Eventually, they'll get popular enough that hackers will start targeting them, and give us PC users a well-deserved break

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Go ahead, please, keep advertising for them! Eventually, they'll get popular enough that hackers will start targeting them, and give us PC users a well-deserved break
    Nah, the general PC user is a dumbo and a fool - They buy cheap computers
    and don't maintain their software or their setups (present company excluded of course).

Microsoft patched this vulnerability but did the general user set their PC for auto-updates or check in to manual update it over the last 4 months - nahh ...

These kinds of worms will never go away until the cable companies actually do something and block the cable modem for customers whose with trojan infected computers that are acting as Spam distribution networks and clogging the nets ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

... and don't maintain their software or their setups (present company excluded of course)
    Software has to be updated? Oh, and thanks for the caveat around present company.

This is an important announcement, and I don't mean to detract from the criticality of ensuring everyone is protected from the threat, but I couldn't resist this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Software has to be updated? Oh, and thanks for the caveat around present company.
    I DID explain that you try and go to Macafee or Symantec website and if you can't get there,
    it might indicate that your machine is infected.
    The Tech sites have said that the Conficker worm blocks access to those sites.

Joke all you like - I'm headed offline...
    my machine will still be running in the AM ...

Me? to sleep, perchance to dream -
    The machine is a a MAC, it stays online -
    in addition to my web access it also runs my home automation and such...
    Its firewalled and NATed ...
    Its a MAC, only PCs can get confickered ...

What won't work? Turning your PC off tonight and back on on April 2 will not protect you from the worm (sorry to the dozens of people who wrote me asking if this would do the trick). Temporarily disconnecting your computer from the web won't help if the malware is already on your machine -- it will simply activate once you connect again. Changing the date on your PC will likely have no helpful effect, either. And yes, Macs are immune this time out. Follow the above instructions to detect and remove the worm.
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/132464

I appreciate that you and other members were relaying important information, and I respect the collective efforts to help others avoid potential infection (though signing off this evening will unfortunately not accomplish that.) I thought I made a concerted attempt not to downplay the criticality of the situation, while still introducing a bit of levity.

As for me, I'm [always] well secured, updated, and backed-up; I understand the potential gravity of the situation, but I won't be disconnecting. For one, I frequently (including tomorrow) work from home and require continuous access to corporate e-mail. Additionally, I refuse to allow one sad, empty person sitting in a small room somewhere to alter my life that drastically. Lastly, if a system is infected, simply signing off for a day will not prevent the worm from activating when you reconnect.

I also worked in IT during the Y2K "scare" and was on OCC-mandated red alert to ensure system readiness during the transition. Not much of a way to ring in a new millennium (i.e., couldn't even have a drink) and the utterly uneventful climax of that situation has likely left me a bit more immune to these doomsday threats than others may be. In short, I'm not too concerned that - having taken proper precautions - my PC will turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight.

Far more on topic, the worm is purported to prevent Windows users from booting into safe mode, so that is another viable means of checking to see if you are infected.

To those of you signing off, good night and good luck. Talk to you tomorrow.

Best,
    - Mike

I DID explain that you try and go to Macafee or Symantec website and if you can't get there,
    it might indicate that your machine is infected.
    The Tech sites have said that the Conficker worm blocks access to those sites.

Evening, All,

Sweet Bride and I are all Mac, and have been since the very first, 128K Mac! So, we're not too worried about our machines being effected. However, we do worry about our banking systems, and other such systems, taking a huge hit, possibly.

I guess we'll all see in the coming days, weeks, and months, just how bad it will be, one way, or the other. I always say, if hackers spent half as much time on doing something good, instead of trying to screw everyone else over, they would be rich and successful, and greatly admired the world over. Well.... I guess hackers like those that created the new worm, reputedly Russians, might be all those things already..... Best of luck to one and all, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

We'll disconnect our one Windows PC and keep the Macs humming. We don't put anything critical on the XP system anyway, though it is up to date. It's just better not to take the chance.

You know, I keep hearing that "Your day will come" speech to Mac users, but the day hasn't dawned since Macs converted to OS X. There may be some truth to the "security through obscurity" mantra I keep hearing, but it's a pretty thin rationalization. The fact is there are plenty of folks who have tried, if for no other reason than to shut Mac users up, yet except for proof of concept BS, contests that create unreasonable cheats, or stupid users loading Trojan Horses, nothing much comes from it.

I keep Virus Barrier on my MacBook Pro, but it's never found anything. Ever. As in Never. Still, I'll run it tonight just to be sure. If it finds something, I'll be sure to let you know.

Good luck to all. I expect another dud, like Y2K.
    Out.

I recall someone saying sometime in 1999 that the world was going to go mental at midnight on new years eve and that the Russians were going to invade sometime in the '50's. How many people paid attention to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    We'll disconnect our one Windows PC ...
    I'm agnostic on that. From what I understand you either got it or you don't. Nothing can be released and forced onto your PC - you have to admit it, either unwittingly (click on an unknown Link) or sloppily (no firewall, virus, etc).

Hell, maybe you'll all get lucky, and my PC's will get wiped out! See ya...

This is about a "no-win" debate as vinyl vs. CD. Of course everyone has their preferences, but this thread started out with a simple, well-intentioned warning for PC users on how to protect themselves from the "latest and greatest" Windows O/S threat. For that, those that are less technically inclined should be thankful, and the remainder of us should likely keep our preferred O/S opinions to ourselves.

Are attacks far more targeted towards Windows vs. Mac's? Of course - would you rather take down approximately 10% of individual users, or 90% of personal users and entire corporations who almost exclusively run Windows software. Personally, if I was a hacker, I think I'd go for the highest yield. So, while there may have been a few lukewarm attempts at attacking Mac's O/S, they wouldn't generate nearly the publicity (as clearly evidenced by this thread and the press) as an attack on the far larger Windows personal and enterprise population.

The point is, whatever your platform and whatever software you run, use top notch security software to avoid these types of issues, and then perhaps we can all use our computers for the enjoyment and productivity for which they were intended. And then we can all "just get along."

Best,
    - Mike

Thread Information