Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SR project. I could use some suggestions

A little progress

Well I have moved on a little , got the networks built on some scabby bits of ply , I dont think the X/O police are coming my way soon.
    I have the carcases of four boxes made. Nothing special in this at all , these are much more utilitarian than the Backyard project. Rebate joints with gun brads and polyurethane adhesive. Thats great stuff coz it fill all the little holes.
    The cabs will be dressed up with flight case alloy sections so in fact the joints can be fairly sloppy cosmetically plus the alloy and rivets offer some reinforcement.

Dimensions are 700 x 450 x 375 I guess I could have squeezed them a little tighter yet but as you can see there is not a lot left to play with.

Earl , just for you I am on the lookout for some 12 inchers
    Attached Images Attached Images    

more progress

Here is one of the nearly finished cabinets rigged up for proving. I have been testing it in my stereo set up as the left channel. This is of course a bit of a pain because ( as my avid readers will know ) my 300ish system is fully active and the only way I can easily retrieve a full range signal is to remove the woof and bypass the active X/O to feed the woof amp.
    Well I have to say I am more than pleased with the results , the transition is smooth and seamless and while the 2226 does not have the LOW LOW thing of the 2235 it does exhibit some noticeable punch which is very satisfying.
    The top end is super clean with little harshness and all in all I have to say that for a SR box it holds its own VERY well against the 3way HI FI speaker.
    The only small niggle audibly would be a slight muddy sound which I would put down to the 2226 running a bit higher than is ideal. I would not expect this to be a problem in its intended use. On the plus there is a pleasing liveliness and snap to the overall presentation.
    For checking purposes I downloaded a nice slow sweep from NCH and ran this through the cab to check for rattles and such and am pleased to say we have a clean bill of health in that respect.

Good job Jerv for the number crunching on the networks

The boxes are still a bit untidy but once the metalwork shows up we will be good to go. I am really looking forward to playing these live. !!

If anyone is interested I tuned these at 50 Hz which leads me on to what to do with the Bass helpers. They will be same size boxes but I wish to run them as low as is practical , so therefore tune at 35 - 40 seems right but where do I roll them off. 120 or higher ? Does anyone have any experience of this ?
    All input is welcome as always.

bump

Hi all. Well its been a while since I added to this thread. After a terrible start to the year work wise things picked up big style from July , hence not much progress was made. Then disaster , my favourite woofer was hit by a car and sufferred a broken back leg. He has needed a lot of care and attention to get him back to rights.
    Anyway the cabs are all but ready to go on the road , I did build four of the small cabs but sold one for MI use with an Eminence 15 in it ( customers own ) so now my spare 2226's are in the big cab that I built some while ago.
    They will all have lids as shown but I am still tossing around ideas for grilles.
    The band has gone through some changes also and the deadwood is gone and they now have two new members who are very talented. There is a new enthusiasm around them now and I hear that the drummer has blossomed in the new musical environment. I have yet to hear them in the new format and will soon as they are now ready for gigs.
    I scored the wee mixer amp as a B stock item for £205 which is pretty good given that it is 2x200 / 8 and 200 mono for monitor. In the short term I will use the monitor amp to run the 2x 2226 box with the eq pulled right down other than bass frequencies.
    I also scored a nice pair of Beyer M201tg microphones.Testing in the house it sounds as clean as a whistle , not peaky at all and hence not prone to feedback.
    Gots to solder up some cables and we are good to go.
    When we do a live gig I will fire up a u tube link for all interested , should be fun.
    See ya soon

Speakers made as road cases... first time I see that
    The idea looks good at first but I'm not sure about the added weight and the fact that the speakers are left unprotected during the gig.
    Hope you don't have too much drunks kicking around!

It definitely looks good though

Briliant looking speakers and subs.

However i agree with Eaulive. Some protection mesh might be in order.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Kit has been getting some use lately , sounding superb for little uns

Well lets see , a couple of years have passed and the PA has been getting good use locally and with the Band.
    They made an album in a proper studio and its on i tunes etc for download.

Plenty of images here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vi...34157649930793

here http://www.matthewboyle.net/2010/06/...ade-rehearsal/

here http://www.theviperparade.co.uk/The_...rade/Home.html

Name:  318188_446475322032356_616931429_n.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  100.0 KB

There's plenty of JBL around , even in the Hot Rod amp ( see the shiny bit ). Anyway its been great fun and interestingly The viper parade have generated over £10K for charity. More than we have taken in actually.
    Its been great fun and we are all best of pals. The new young bass player is an enormous talent and he has brought a new solidity to everything , keeping the drummer honest and so on.
    Its not in the pics but he has a stonking Fender P bass in Metallic blue with achrome guard. What a great sound through those 2 2226's.

So the grand plan moves on. I scored some 2445's in reasonable conition so my intent is to get them into smaller top boxes with 2206's that I have.
    Going to run these active. What a weight those drivers are , good thing we are all fairly fit.

I'm using P audio 2723 throats for this , 60 x 40 deg. I've found I need more throw and less dispersion at the HF. In busy pubs you need to get to the back of the room and the guitars are pretty loud so progress ..

Name:  New tops 1.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  Flight case cabinet 018.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  72.4 KB

On the downside , I did a loan of the simplest background music setup you could get , one speaker , amp , ipod input. This was for a small charity boozy event. No money involved and this is what came back.

Name:  IMG_0509.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  113.8 KB

I said to the guy did you not see the smoke coming out the holes in the speaker. That and the PSU in the amp is shot , the big caps are whacked. So we know what the scenario was , bucket full of beer , lets go see how loud the stereo goes.
    There are prats born every day in every village and every town in the land.
    Anyway he will get a shock when he gets my repair bill.

M

One more thing , straight from the department of not fair , HugeMC as you all probably know scored an XTC system controller for a stupid price. Someone going to tell him I need it more than he does !!!

One more pic or two of the original cabs after a goodly number of gigs. Holding up pretty well I reckon.

Name:  sept 12 019.JPG
Views: 678
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  sept 12 023.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  101.8 KB

Nice Mac. I like that all those bits are getting a work out (some harder than others)
    rather than sitting on a shelf, like little religious objects.

[guilty of this myself, to a degree]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Well lets see , a couple of years have passed ...

On the downside , I did a loan of the simplest background music setup you could get , one speaker , amp , ipod input. This was for a small charity boozy event. No money involved and this is what came back.

Name:  IMG_0509.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  113.8 KB

I said to the guy did you not see the smoke coming out the holes in the speaker. That and the PSU in the amp is shot , the big caps are whacked. So we know what the scenario was , bucket full of beer , lets go see how loud the stereo goes.
    There are prats born every day in every village and every town in the land.
    Anyway he will get a shock when he gets my repair bill.

M
    Just be glad it wasn't a voice coil that smoked. (A burning spider makes enough smoke to alert even the drunkest miscreants to the fact that they have crossed the line!) That resistor needs to be replaced with a much higher wattage one... Put 4 of the same value in a 2 series/2 parallel arrangement (or 4 of twice the value in parallel) and make sure to leave some air space between them and the wood!
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Just be glad it wasn't a voice coil that smoked. (A burning spider makes enough smoke to alert even the drunkest miscreants to the fact that they have crossed the line!) That resistor needs to be replaced with a much higher wattage one... Put 4 of the same value in a 2 series/2 parallel arrangement (or 4 of twice the value in parallel) and make sure to leave some air space between them and the wood!
    Mike , thanks , however they were 50W rated resistors and I have had the pair running at some serious levels without any hint of trouble. The speaker that didn't go out has no sign of scorching on it at all.
    Simple fact is they were being drunk and stupid. VC's are in good shape BTW. Actually the bass coil de soldered itself from the input terminal and melted the retaining cable ties. HF was running though. Worst of it was the gear came back a day late and when I challenged the guy about this he acted all innocent and don't know anything about it.
    I'll have him though , its a small community.
    I have some 100W rated heat sink R's in now mounted on a nother bit of alloy for good measure.

M

Thread Information