Thread: Would anyone know what these speakers are:

Would anyone know what these speakers are:

I found these locally for sale for $150.00
    I have searched google but can't find any info on them.
    They say JBL Decade series on them and have a 15"woofer, a 4"mid, and a 2" tweeter apparently.

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
    I found these locally for sale for $150.00
    I have searched google but can't find any info on them.
    They say JBL Decade series on them and have a 15"woofer, a 4"mid, and a 2" tweeter apparently.

Thanks
    Mike

That's probably all they cost new.
    The Costco here used to carry "JBL" stuff that looked like that.
    I may be full of it, but I would avoid them at that price, based on appearance, unless someone more knowledgeable than I gives guidance.
    You can buy a pair of L20Ts for the same, or less, money and have a "real" pair of JBLs.

Report on what you learn.

Thomas

There always seems to be a pair for sale on the DC Craig's List and the price keeps dropping and they ever sell. Got to be the simplest three-way ever built by JBL. A bean-counter's special. Check out this network diagram:http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../d315%20ts.pdf

This ad sounds more reasonable:
    JBL speakers 4 ea.

For sale are 4 JBL speakers model # D315 for $45 each or $150 for all 4. These and more items can also be viewed at the garage sale on saturday
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I remember these being sold in American Appliance back when they existed. I also remember that I was not impressed by build or sound quality, but to be fair I was used to "better JBL's."

For the price point they probably were a good value. That said, since they're now a "vintage" system, I think there are "better" older JBL's you might want to explore if the asking price for these is representative of your budget. If you have some additional money to invest, there are numerous options for vintage systems, and some truly superb newer offerings.

Since this is your first post, do you mind if I ask if you have prior experience with JBL, and if so, with what systems? Might help if you're looking for recommendations. Then again, you may not be and would just as soon tell us all to keep our thoughts to ourselves .

Best,
    - Mike

Okay, before I get in trouble, I just want to tell the mods I know that having 2 usernames is frowned upon, but I haven't been able to logon with the "kingpin111" username since I posted this yesterday.
    I registered again with the name "kingpin11" so yes, I am the same person. I also sent an email to the admins last night explaining the mess I made with my original registration.

So thanks to everyone for the quick information. Much appreciated.
    The guy who was selling the speakers looks like he either got divorced or kicked out of his house according to the angry woman I talked to when I called inquiring about the speakers.

Looks like it was a good thing cause after reading about them and searching a bit more here, they don't look like they are worth a grain of salt.

MikeBrewster77- no I have no experience with JBL's at all. I have been looking for something cheap(200 or less) to fill in while I get out of this rut I am in. My last pair of decent(okay extremely decent) speakers were a diy 3 way with an additional 2 12" subs added to them from plans on htguide. I sold those when I moved last year.

Honestly, I have been looking for a half decent pair of full range speakers where the cab's are trashed but still have the existing x-over at least. I want to rebuild my own boxes for something to keep me occupied.

I recently picked up a pair of excellent condition infinity sm-152's(excellent meaning both 15"woofers need reconing, 2 mids are blown as well as 1 tweeter) which I was planning on rebuilding. Now the drivers are sitting in my trunk cause I get a little sick when seeing them. At least I didn't pay for them.

So in a nutshell, I wouldn't mind a set of drivers and x-overs to build my own cabinets. Going from a pair of 500lb full range speakers to my little polk bookshelves has been a humbling experience while watching a movie.

Thanks
    Mike

p.s. this was my original speakers that I built. 78"high x 36"deep x 14.5" wide and roughly 500lbs fully loaded. They were awesome.

Eventually cut off the 2-12's and built 2 18" sealed subs.

Well, I think it's fair to say those D315's wouldn't give you the sonic experience you're looking for based upon what you're used to . And, the driver quality isn't what you would want to put in custom cabs, that's for sure. To be fair to those who designed/engineered them, I'm sure they were spec'd to a price point, and at that level, they probably were very good in terms of value.

JBL drivers tend to hold their worth, even with trashed cabinets. Best case scenario is you get somebody on Craigslist who has no idea what they have, and offloads it cheap. eBay probably isn't going to net you a decent system for under $200 because people there seem to be savvy enough to part out a ruined cab and get maximum dollars by selling individual components.

Beyond that, I'm not the driver guru, quite honestly. I know of some of JBL's superior individual drivers, but I tend to buy my JBL's in one piece. I'm sure there are many here who can give you some great advice on how to put together a system that'll meet your needs!

P.S., what drivers did you use in your previous home built speakers? A few look like B&W's, but I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Well, I think it's fair to say those D315's wouldn't give you the sonic experience you're looking for based upon what you're used to . And, the driver quality isn't what you would want to put in custom cabs, that's for sure. To be fair to those who designed/engineered them, I'm sure they were spec'd to a price point, and at that level, they probably were very good in terms of value.

JBL drivers tend to hold their worth, even with trashed cabinets. Best case scenario is you get somebody on Craigslist who has no idea what they have, and offloads it cheap. eBay probably isn't going to net you a decent system for under $200 because people there seem to be savvy enough to part out a ruined cab and get maximum dollars by selling individual components.

Beyond that, I'm not the driver guru, quite honestly. I know of some of JBL's superior individual drivers, but I tend to buy my JBL's in one piece. I'm sure there are many here who can give you some great advice on how to put together a system that'll meet your needs!

P.S., what drivers did you use in your previous home built speakers? A few look like B&W's, but I could be mistaken.
    LOL! I know I will be hard pressed to find something to match what I had. I am just looking for something with some umph to them so I don't really need a sub as much. The drivers that I used were all Dayton Reference Series speakers. The x-overs and cabinets were designed by CJD(chris) at htguide. Very talented guys over there.

Oh well, I guess I will keep searching. I know my budget is very, very low. I just to get lucky somewhere.

What happened to your original Dayton system?

Thomas

I moved into a place that was just too small and sold all my audio gear except for my tv, receiver, and my surround speakers which are now my fronts.
    I am in toronto Canada, and sold them to a guy in Alberta for $1500. Pretty good I thought for a set of DIY'ers.

This was a sady day for me. Took me almost a year from start to finish to build them.
    Here they are on a pallet ready to go cross country.

Yes, sad day indeed.

Ah well, chin up. Things will be better, especially if you're patient and wait for the right thing. The D315 is not it, as you've already read.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin11 View Post
    Okay, before I get in trouble, I just want to tell the mods I know that having 2 usernames is frowned upon, but I haven't been able to logon with the "kingpin111" username since I posted this yesterday.
    Your two accounts have been merged.

Widget

thank you Mr. Widget.

Can you provide a link to Project Overkill? I've been looking on HTGuide and can't find it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Can you provide a link to Project Overkill? I've been looking on HTGuide and can't find it. Thanks!
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=20872

Warning! The thread is 21 pages long.

Mike

Thread Information